• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AUGUST HERITAGE AUCTION...............ONCE AGAIN SOME AMAZING PRICES REALISED...

57 posts in this topic

i put in a bid of $13k for the ff 1 but @ that point was already outbid

what do ppl think of the price?

its the WHITEST ff 1 with the best colors i have ever seen, itd be really interesting to see how it looks next to the 9.6 copy in the flesh

its the WHITEST ff 1 with the best colors i have ever seen, itd be really interesting to see how it looks next to the 9.6 copy in the flesh

The early Marvels from the Janowicz collection continue to bring in astronomical prices. In addition to the stunning FF#1 (certainly deserving of a record setting price for the F+), I also saw high prices for the FF39 (9.2 white for ~$900), Avengers 12 (9.4 white for ~$800), and a bunch of others. Heritage also sold some Curator Spideys, and those went for what appear to be record prices as well.

The early Marvels from the Janowicz collection continue to bring in astronomical prices. In addition to the stunning FF#1 (certainly deserving of a record setting price for the F+), I also saw high prices for the FF39 (9.2 white for ~$900), Avengers 12 (9.4 white for ~$800), and a bunch of others. Heritage also sold some Curator Spideys, and those went for what appear to be record prices as well.

Bob, do you know anything else about this collection? Why is it so hot?

i can tell u why the collexn is so hot

it becos the books are the "Freshest" u will ever see.

id love to knwo how Mr J stored them, they truly are amazing

they have the richest gloss and colors and the juicest look, ie they have not been pancaked flat

those who are lucky enuf to own copies will knwo what im referring to- i so regret not bidding more on the hulk1

damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ff 1 looks more like an 8.0 to me

i think it only got 6.5 becos a corner crease and chip out of the right edge but is one of the prettiest books ive seen

id buy cgc 6.5's like htis all day

same old debate of structure (cgc) vs overall eye appeal (old school overstreet grading), give me the latter any day

The books are stunning, and there hasn't been a high grade Silver Age pedigree collection brought to market since the PC books way back in '99:

Janowicz exhibit A:

Av23Janowicz.jpg

Janowicz exhibit B:

FF29slab.jpg

The books are stunning, and there hasn't been a high grade Silver Age pedigree collection brought to market since the PC books way back in '99:

Janowicz exhibit A:

Av23Janowicz.jpg

Janowicz exhibit B:

FF29slab.jpg

From your scans, it appears that CGC has decided not to give this collection a pedigree designation.

Would you have any insight into this call by CGC since the collection sounds as though it should be of pedigree quality based upon your comments?

I paid considerably more than GPA for my Avengers #26, but not only is it a Janowicz, but it's a 9.6 with white pages. (I posted a scan in the Silver Comics section, in the Avengers collecting thread).

The Avengers #17 was also a Janowicz, in 9.4 grade with OW/W pages .. and I got it for just a little more than GPA.

They really are beautiful books -- at least the scans sure look that way!

I'm also curious to know why CGC hasn't officially given them a pedigree label.

Can't speak for CGC so I don't know for certain what was behind their decision, but as an active collector of high grade Silver Age comics, I wouldn't support a pedigree designation for a collection that has the Marvel keys in only mid-grade condition.

As I recall, the same argument was applied by CGC when Harry broached the subject of a pedigree designation for his Sid's books.

There have been Janowicz books in at least two of the weekly auctions, as well as the last two Signature auctions. For instance, some non-NM Silver and gorgeous Bronze have made their way into the weeklies, such as this underrated beauty with a Neal Adams cover:

AA8.jpg