• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how long did it take new X-men to catch on after GS #1?

54 posts in this topic

A lot of collectors said they didn`t like Chris Claremont`s art. :screwy:

:gossip: Dave Cockrum

slipandfall.jpg

lol Funny how you can think one thing and your hands type out something completely different. :blush:

Byrne

Claremont

Cockrum

Smith

(worship)

All are better than the piddle that gets passed off today.

I would add Austin to this list. A great complement to Byrne's drawings.

The first new issue of X-Men I bought was 120. I thought it was great! By the early 130s I couldn't get enough Wolverine. None of my friends bothered with the X-Men... even when I praised it.

In 1979, I sold my Giant Size 1 to Comics and Comics in Sacramento for $12.50, which I immediately spent on a Howard the Duck 1. My next GS 1, in mint, ran $35. Anyways, in the Detroit area, the X-Men seemed to break it big right around the first appearance of Dazzler in 130. That's the perspective of a 12 year old (at the time).

Comic Kingdom cracked open a case of Hulk 181 for $5 a piece.

The first X-Men book that really hooked me was X-Men 111, with the X-Men all trapped in a circus by Mesmero. That book was drawn so freaking good, and flowed so well, I think it made me a Byrne fan for life. And lucky I probably was on the can when that last panel came up. :o

Paying only 35-cents for that was like highway robbery. :cloud9:

Wow...me too JC! I had never heard of the X-Men and was just starting to buy comics on a regular basis when I saw #111...the two scenes in that book that "hooked" me were the shot of Colossus' fist coming through the curtain to floor an unsuspecting Beast, and then later where Colossus reached up through a manhole cover to rip the entire undercarriage from a speeding 18-wheeler. Already being a big Hulk fan, those displays of Hulk-like strength from a character I had never seen before caught my attention and I bought it monthly from then on... :cloud9:

the two scenes in that book that "hooked" me were the shot of Colossus' fist coming through the curtain to floor an unsuspecting Beast, and then later where Colossus reached up through a manhole cover to rip the entire undercarriage from a speeding 18-wheeler. Already being a big Hulk fan, those displays of Hulk-like strength from a character I had never seen before caught my attention and I bought it monthly from then on... :cloud9:

I have always contended that if the original X-Men had a strongman character similar to Colossus, the series would never have been canceled.

There is such a visceral thrill with two heavyweights going at it, and the original team really had no one to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Juggernaut, Blob, Sentinels, etc.

the two scenes in that book that "hooked" me were the shot of Colossus' fist coming through the curtain to floor an unsuspecting Beast, and then later where Colossus reached up through a manhole cover to rip the entire undercarriage from a speeding 18-wheeler. Already being a big Hulk fan, those displays of Hulk-like strength from a character I had never seen before caught my attention and I bought it monthly from then on... :cloud9:

I have always contended that if the original X-Men had a strongman character similar to Colossus, the series would never have been canceled.

There is such a visceral thrill with two heavyweights going at it, and the original team really had no one to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Juggernaut, Blob, Sentinels, etc.

Totally agree! (thumbs u

I think the underlying question that dekuk asked and one I was thinking is:

With the release of GS1 and subsequently X-Men 94, did the general consensus conclude that this series was going to be a hit? Did the book/s have a lot of buzz about them when they were released?

No... in fact the small collecting group I was in thought the book still stunk and no one collected it.

But what do a bunch of middle schoolers know... :sorry: