• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the worst comic "investment" you ever made?

148 posts in this topic

Worst investment made:

Buying 20 copies of Wolverine (Vol 3) #1. I thought it would be hot like Origin #1. I can't even sell them for $1. In fact about a year after the purchase I had 21 copies of that book (not sure where the extra one came from???)

Worst investment NOT made:

One day show in Augusta, GA (early 2000 I think). Last minute and a dealer asks me if I want the rest of his Ultimate Spider-Man #1's white covers at $5 or $10 each. I respond with "Ultimate Spider-Man will never be HOT" He still makes fun of me for that to this day.

I also had the opportunity to purchase Marvel Zombies #1 (ironically from the same dealer) for $1 each at another small show. Don't feel as bad about that one as Sal had the same chance.

the hell? i don't remember that...

doh!

i have in my possession four - count them four - maybe five, now that i think about it, copies of X-Men 1 all signed by Jim Lee! with -get this - a certificate of authenticity!!

$30 out the door, down the street and off to tell the world how stupid i am

doh! doh! doh!:sumo:

lol

Boy what suckers we were at that point in time, they had me reeled in hook, line and sinker with those gimmicks :tonofbricks:

Me too. I still have 4 or 5 copies of X-Men 1, Spidey 1 and X-Force 1.

Luckily I was only 11 at the time and I have an excuse for my stupidity, unlike you guys. :baiting:

lol

Boy what suckers we were at that point in time, they had me reeled in hook, line and sinker with those gimmicks :tonofbricks:

Luckily I was only 11 at the time and I have an excuse for my stupidity, unlike you guys. :baiting:

i was - no lie - stoned when i agreed to buy them. from a dude who was also stoned.

so, i guess that makes us about even

I "invested" in a few comics that i thought would become HOT. I bought 100 copies of Superman 75 and also 100 copies of Wolverine 50 with the Die-cut cover. I got them through Mile High NICE and was able to get them for 50% of cover price.

I sold the Superman's for an average of $10 or more each. but I think I still have about 90 of this one

wolvie50.jpg

Some of those who have traded with me may recognize this book as I sometimes included them as a throw-in in the deals

so far, so good. oh sure i've paid cover price for some moderns that are now worthless, but not for multiples. my multiples of books were purchased after the fact/hype on the cheap. My logic is that things work in cycles and you never know when Spawn 1 will be a $5 book again! And it looks like Magnus 1 & 2 are $5 books again already!

The 50-75 or so copies each of Thor 339 and 433 I have were, luckily, not purchased by me. My LCS had probably ordered about 1000 of each for speculation purposes. By the time he closed up in 2000 he had gotten rid of most of them, so he just dumped the remainder on me for free rather than hauling them into storage.

I passed on his offer of a couple hundred X-Men 1s, however. There's only so much room to store this garbage.

Thankfully, I never went for hype on new books and new collectibles. I immediately traded the first couple of issues of Gen 13 for some ECs and Fawcetts. I dumped my McGwire rookie card right after he broke the record, also trading it to my LCS for vintage comics of equal value (at the time).

I dumped my McGwire rookie card right after he broke the record, also trading it to my LCS for vintage comics of equal value (at the time).

I went looking for a McGwire rookie about 199x(?). My local shop had two nice ones and wanted $10 each. I noticed one was much glossier than the other. I decided to buy the "normal" one and passed on what turned out to be the Tiffany version limited to 5000. This would be filed under my "deals you wish you had made".

Dan

lol

i was - no lie - stoned when i agreed to buy them. from a dude who was also stoned.

stoned.gif

lol

lol Fair enough.

Just one question...what the heck is a Spidey #90 and why does it rate with the rest of these books on your list?

Jim

guess I included #90 because it was one of the few older books I actually bought in NM. it used to be more key way back in the early 80's.

I bought about 50 copies of Shazam #1 20 cents each. Thought it would be the next big thing after not being published for so long. Could not sell them because everyone else had the same idea doh!

That's when I learned to just buy what I like and hope it goes up or stays at the price I bought it at.

BTW.....are those Shazam's worth much today?