• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the worst comic "investment" you ever made?

148 posts in this topic

Financially speaking, what are the worst decisions you ever made when deciding to buy comics for "investment" purposes (i.e. buying a comic, especially multiple copies, because you mistakenly thought they are going up in value).

I remember buying multiple copies of some of these back when I still bought into the "hot comic" concept:

New Teen Titans in the 11-25 range

Daredevil 175-185 range

Legion 285-300 (remember when Giffen was hot?)

Moon Knight #1

Camelot 3000 (uuuggghhh, what was I thinking)

Peter Parker #90 (first black costume in title, but never appreciated)

various X-men related mini-series of the mid-1980's

Cloak & Dagger appearances in Peter Parker

those oversize DC comics that said ANNIVERSARY at the tops of them (i.e. Legion 300, Detective 526, etc.)

Sooooooo many mistakes. :cry::pullhair::mad:

I'm glad I no longer own any of these, I liquidated a long time ago at a fraction of cover I am sure

One of first CGC books I bought:

CGC 9.4 of Iron Fist 14 for too much money (because I didn't know about shilling)

I got a second chance offer after the auction ended for just a little bit over the

price I had as a max bid.

If that wasn't bad enough, the CGC case was cracked but the box it was

shipped in was stealer mint!

I had a bunch of work that clobber me durring that time and totally for got to

neg this bozo for this slop.

Man was I a glutton for punishment...

:tonofbricks:

I have never made an investment mistake because I do not invest in comics. I buy what I like and do not think about how much money I will get for them in the future.

Buying to sell is a different story.. but I usually get rid of those pretty quickly.

Danny Dupcak books in the 80s :P

Been there, done that. doh!

looking at this inspired me to create a new warning thread for

the newer formites that are here reading this.

This guy is the WORST, right next to Jason Ewert for

makeing PLODs and selling them as genuine.

This guy is back selling in large volume lie before...

What an assss!

:sumo:

I have never made an investment mistake because I do not invest in comics. I buy what I like and do not think about how much money I will get for them in the future.

Buying to sell is a different story.. but I usually get rid of those pretty quickly.

Finally, you said something that has meaning :applause:

Worst investment made:

Buying 20 copies of Wolverine (Vol 3) #1. I thought it would be hot like Origin #1. I can't even sell them for $1. In fact about a year after the purchase I had 21 copies of that book (not sure where the extra one came from???)

Worst investment NOT made:

One day show in Augusta, GA (early 2000 I think). Last minute and a dealer asks me if I want the rest of his Ultimate Spider-Man #1's white covers at $5 or $10 each. I respond with "Ultimate Spider-Man will never be HOT" He still makes fun of me for that to this day.

I also had the opportunity to purchase Marvel Zombies #1 (ironically from the same dealer) for $1 each at another small show. Don't feel as bad about that one as Sal had the same chance.

:acclaim:

:acclaim:
:busy: