• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the worst comic "investment" you ever made?

148 posts in this topic

I'm wondering who didn't get sucked into the 90's comics thinking some of them would be worth something. I have some of those "Death of Superman's" thinking they would be worth something. What are they worth now $1, if I'm lucky?

I got suckered by Malibu's Ultraverse, bought up a bunch of Prime #1s and the Wizard magazine created ''Bad Girl craze'' books (Shi, Lady Death & Vampirella...)

If only I had listened to my gut and not sold my M:TG Power Nine sets...

I got suckered by Malibu's Ultraverse, bought up a bunch of Prime #1s and the Wizard magazine created ''Bad Girl craze'' books (Shi, Lady Death & Vampirella...)

If only I had listened to my gut and not sold my M:TG Power Nine sets...

Prime was a decent book, but the Ultraverse was basically Valiant all over again, and the point where I opted out of all the speculation lunacy.

I started collecting in about 1988 and had about 8 long boxes of 90's runs by the time I went to college in 1994. My mom shipped me my collection when I graduated in 1998 and I sold them for about $1,000 on e-bay over the next couple years and I think they must have cost me $3,000 - $4,000 over the years. The only ones I made any money on was a mid-grade ASM 129 and my run of X-Men from 143 - 200. A remember selling a run of Cable from 1 - 50 for $5. Hated sending that package!

I'm wondering who didn't get sucked into the 90's comics thinking some of them would be worth something.

:banana:^^

But I don't fall for any scams, and also had the benefit of going through the "Independent B&W Craze" in the mid-80's, whereby I'd be harassed by various knuckleheads for buying stacks of BA instead of Fish Police, Mage, GRIPS or whatever-the- :censored: crepe they were slogging that month.

At times it was admittedly tough to fight the "funny book peer pressure", but I did, and was finally able to deal out a lot of "told ya so" jabs when the market crumbled a few years later. lol

So when the "Modern Chrome Mania" started up, it was old hat to me, and I just laughed as all the fools carted their chromium gold out of the store, firmly ensconced in my "buy what I like and :censored: the rest " pattern.

I'm wondering who didn't get sucked into the 90's comics thinking some of them would be worth something.

:banana:^^

But I don't fall for any scams, and also had the benefit of going through the "Independent B&W Craze" in the mid-80's, whereby I'd be harassed by various knuckleheads for buying stacks of BA instead of Fish Police, Mage, GRIPS or whatever-the- :censored: crepe they were slogging that month.

At times it was admittedly tough to fight the "funny book peer pressure", but I did, and was finally able to deal out a lot of "told ya so" jabs when the market crumbled a few years later. lol

So when the "Modern Chrome Mania" started up, it was old hat to me, and I just laughed as all the fools carted their chromium gold out of the store, firmly ensconced in my "buy what I like and :censored: the rest " pattern.

Don't let JC fool you, his 27" LCD monitor is sitting on top of an unopened case of Ninjak #1s.

i bought a lot of the early 90s drek, but usually at 10 or 25 cents each after-the-fact when they had already slid by 1994 or 1995 or so. turns out even at those prices they were too much!

but never at the expense of more vintage material (well, i guess any time you spend money it's at the "expense" of something else). if there were half decent BA books in the 25 cent box I'd grab those first. not that those were such great "investments", but I don't look at, let's say, a long box of 30-40 cent cover price Hulks, Thors and whatevers with the same sort of disdain as the 90's drekola.

I responded incorrectly when this was up in August. I, in fact, did speculate on Jim Lee's Superman 200. I bought 50 copies. I believe the price was $30/shipped. In the back of my mind I'd like to think these are solid $1 books though, although when I bought them I was thinking more along the lines of them being solid $2-$3 books.

In general though, 15 years ago going for VG to Fine SA rather than higher grade. Truth be told I hammered out good enough deals back then that I have still made a nice profit on these books, but at the time I was naive and simply preferred being able to buy 5-10 Vg to Fine books for the same price as a NM- to NM book (not that I came across that many NM SA books). Also, thinking that Dardevil and Thor were undervalued and that I should buy a lot of those.

Also, not buying ASM 13 (or whatever first Green Goblin is) for $10 when offered up in a stack of other SA ASMs for $10 each. It was ratty and had tape on the spine and my friend with me at the show told me I was nuts to consider buying such a P.O.S. What would that go for now? Well, a fancy dinner with my wife I'd guess.

Of course, at the same show I spent $80 on a ratty Superman 11 with tape on the spine as my last purchase of the day. 13 years later I sold it for about what I paid.

Was turning down Sgt. Fury 1 - 200 at that show for $200 a bad move too? (the early stuff was G/VG to VG).

A Fine X-Men 1 for $500...to this day I don't regret passing on this as much because my gut told me some work had been done on it.