• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What OA Can You Get For $30K

102 posts in this topic

Ok, I don't have $30K, but if I did, what original can I buy these days?

A goog Killing Joke page perhaps? a Ditko ASM battle page? Kirby Thor splash? or how about a Kirby X-Men 1 page ?

Clem...

Last year I was fortunate enough to realise a long-held ambition by acquiring a Wally Wood WEIRD SCIENCE cover at a little under your $30K target price. The artwork is something I'd compare against most any other high-end OA item.

63jxt9s.jpg

Wally Wood WEIRD SCIENCE # 18 cover

Earlier this month a European collector friend bought himself a Wally Wood VALOR cover for around the $15K mark. He's similarly ecstatic with his acquisition.

For a little under $30K I can steer you in the direction of a Graham 'Ghastly' Ingels HAUNT OF FEAR cover. In the Horror genre, Ingels beats all others to dust (IMHO) . . .

53ojejm.jpg

Graham Ingels $28,000 HAUNT OF FEAR # 27 cover

My point being that, for some of us, grail-like items are acheivable under the price you stipulate.

But my guess is that Silver Age MARVEL is your thing . . .

A couple of other collectors have contributed to this thread by suggesting there's nothing really worthwhile out there to be had for less than $300. Maybe so, for them . . .

On the lower end of the scale, I've been picking-up Harvey 'cartoon' covers by the prolific Warren Kremer for less than $200 these past few years.

4znzdok.jpg

BABY HUEY AND PAPA # 1 cover by Marty Taras

From a nostalgia point-of-view, the Harvey kiddie titles (CASPER, RICHIE RICH, LITTLE DOT, etc.), were my first introduction to American comic-books - way back in the early 1960s. Aesthetically, Kremer's art is - for me - easily on a par with the work of the great Carl Barks. I lap his work up . . .

To be able to fill a hole in my collection 'Wants' . . . with some of the original covers to titles I avidly collected in the early 1960s - at average prices a little under $200 a pop - gives me a nice warm feeling inside.

A couple of other collectors have contributed to this thread by suggesting there's nothing really worthwhile out there to be had for less than $300. Maybe so, for them . . .

I meant comic art. I find lots of illustration art under $300 that's worth framing and hanging. Nothing wrong with those Harvey covers. I wouldn't mind one or two myself. That wouldn't be sustainable for me though. My gripe/whine was that I miss the days when just about everything I wanted was under $300. It was a field ripe for the picking! And it was picked.

Just like the EC auctions.

Somebody had a complete Vault of Horror story at WW Chicago for 12 K and I am sure he would have discounted it. I think it was Ingels, but it might have been Craig. I didn't really look, because I was seriously interested.

I am not sure what I would do. I probably would not spend it on art. The market is high right now. I would probably buy something else, unless I found the perfect piece.

Stuff to consider

Silver Age & 70s

Steranko

Adams

Wrightson

Starlin (Cap Marvel & Warlock stuff)

Romita Jr

Jones

Swan

Golden Age

Frazetta

Wood

Modern stuff

Eric Powell

Brian Bolland

Jim Lee

Todd McFarlane

David Finch

Mark Bagley Ultimate Spider-man

Alex Ross

Michael Turner

Stuff to consider

Silver Age & 70s

Steranko

Adams

Wrightson

Romita Jr

Jones

Swan

Golden Age

Frazetta

Wood

Modern stuff

Eric Powell

Brian Bolland

Jim Lee

Todd McFarlane

David Finch

Alex Ross

Michael Turner

I like this list :takeit: very good list Dale

Obviously it is not complete by any means. Just off the top of my head, if I was going to spend a bunch of money on original art, I would consider all of this. Probably also Kamen, Schomburg, Raboy, and definitely Matt Baker. I could probably continue this list for a long time if I wanted to think hard enough about it.

Stuff to consider

Silver Age & 70s

Steranko

Adams

Wrightson

Romita Jr

Jones

Swan

Golden Age

Frazetta

Wood

Modern stuff

Eric Powell

Brian Bolland

Jim Lee

Todd McFarlane

David Finch

Alex Ross

Michael Turner

What exactly (of merit) did Romita Jr do in the 70s? First work on Iron Man was 1978. Not until the 80s did he get cranking with the ASM work, and I'd say the ASM run contributed more to his success than he contributed to the ASM run's success. In fact, I think he's overhyped because of pop.

Stuff to consider

Silver Age & 70s

Steranko

Adams

Wrightson

Romita Jr

Jones

Swan

Golden Age

Frazetta

Wood

Modern stuff

Eric Powell

Brian Bolland

Jim Lee

Todd McFarlane

David Finch

Alex Ross

Michael Turner

What exactly (of merit) did Romita Jr do in the 70s? First work on Iron Man was 1978. Not until the 80s did he get cranking with the ASM work, and I'd say the ASM run contributed more to his success than he contributed to the ASM run's success. In fact, I think he's overhyped because of pop.

You are probably right about the dates, even though I do like the Romita Jr/Layton Iron Mans. Probably talking more about the 80s Spider-mans, all those issues in the 220s, 230, 240s he did are stuff I liked. I also like his recent stuff. The stuff from the 90s I don't care much about. Alot depends on his inker. I didn't care for the Thor stuff, his Daredevil stuff, or X-Men stuff. I really like his Hulks, and his Amazing Spider-mans.

Stuff to consider

Silver Age & 70s

Steranko

Adams

Wrightson

Romita Jr

Jones

Swan

Golden Age

Frazetta

Wood

Modern stuff

Eric Powell

Brian Bolland

Jim Lee

Todd McFarlane

David Finch

Alex Ross

Michael Turner

You are probably right about the dates, even though I do like the Romita Jr/Layton Iron Mans. Probably talking more about the 80s Spider-mans, all those issues in the 220s, 230, 240s he did are stuff I liked. I also like his recent stuff. The stuff from the 90s I don't care much about. Alot depends on his inker. I didn't care for the Thor stuff, his Daredevil stuff, or X-Men stuff. I really like his Hulks, and his Amazing Spider-mans.

Actually, I do like his work on Iron Man back then, and would agree that some of the ASM covers are nice.

I agree that JR JR is

1. Overhyped

2. Not as good or as original as his dad

3. Got alot of choice assignments very early in his career because of his dad

4. Did his best work on Iron Man (and he and Layton were a killer combination on that book, neither Layton nor he were as good on IM without each other)

5. Has not decided whether to rip off Miller or Moebius consistently since then

6. May be attempting to artificially inflate the value of his art by stating that he's keeping it forever

7. Won't be remembered as an all time great after he retires.

8. Would not make my list of people I would spend my 30K on - EXCEPT for an Iron Man page.

Just my unabashed opinion.

- A

I agree that JR JR is

1. Overhyped

2. Not as good or as original as his dad

3. Got alot of choice assignments very early in his career because of his dad

4. Did his best work on Iron Man (and he and Layton were a killer combination on that book, neither Layton nor he were as good on IM without each other)

5. Has not decided whether to rip off Miller or Moebius consistently since then

6. May be attempting to artificially inflate the value of his art by stating that he's keeping it forever

7. Won't be remembered as an all time great after he retires.

8. Would not make my list of people I would spend my 30K on - EXCEPT for an Iron Man page.

Just my unabashed opinion.

- A

All the cool projects that have come out of Marvel (Miller's return on DD Mini-Series,World War Hulk,tons of cool spider-man stuff,and other cool team-ups) have all been JR JR. Yea, Thanx Dad! I wouldn't spend $300 on his art,nevermind 30K. For 30K I could get a Wrightson Frankenstein Plate or a Jim Lee X-Men cover or Mcfarlane Spider-man Splash instead.