• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can multi-cover books be faked?

16 posts in this topic

Would it even be worth it for someone to marry multiple covers to a book? Could it be detected with a resto check?

Just wondering, since I'd like to get at least one multi-cover book but I don't want to get burned either.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I would think that, just as pressing requires removing the staples in at least some instances, and cannot be detected by CGC by their own admission, adding a cover could be done relatively easily, as long as the process was done carefully and used the original staples.

Not sure this would be worth the risk of discovery, though, since most multi-cover books don't seem to command that much of a premium.

*You'd want to remember to put the nicest cover furthest inside, of course wink.gif

Believe it or not, there's a CGC Qualified book where CGC states that the covers were switched on a double cover book such that the nicer cover was put on the outside!! I think it would be very difficult to line up the staple holes and edges of the covers to make one ex-post-factory...

I don't think it's possible...

Reason:

I think it would be very difficult to line up the staple holes and edges of the covers to make one ex-post-factory...

To fake multi-cover books succesfully, you'll need to use unstapled unused covers (like "Eastern File copies" )

Here ya go ""Interior and exterior cover switched. (First cover 9.0, interior cover 7.0)."

750026123o.jpg

Well that certainly worked out well. Wonder if the owner did it himself or had it done.Don't you just love it when a scam falls apart

I'd like to get at least one multi-cover book but I don't want to get burned either.

Here's one.

Actually, that is what prompted my question... and I'm certainly not implying in any way, shape, or form that that triple-cover is anything but the real deal.

It just got me thinking about multiple covers and the very amateur resto work I used to do on my comics as a kid.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I have heard of people removing the outer cover to a double cover since the interior cover was nicer. But, switching the covers would be caught easily as the outer typically has more defects then the interior. I can't imagine switching the covers or removing a cover as you could easily damage the book.

I did see a Conan issue once with 6 covers on it, but this was bought off the newsstand and was not altered.