• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did your Mom ever throw out your comics?

Did your mother ever throw out any of your comics?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Did your mother ever throw out any of your comics?

44 posts in this topic

My mother told me a story about 2 of her brothers. The used to buy comics and read them all the time and when they were finished the comic went on the stack. Well that stack grew and a new stack would start. Eventually every wall of thier room was lined with a giant stack of comics. Sooner or later the stacks dwindled as they were traded away or thrown out as the boys grew in age. Literally hundreds of comics printed in the 40's and 50's. Gone.

When I was younger the day care bus came by to pick us up at school each day. The driver and I struck a friendship when I noticed he was reading Richie Rich comics every day. Soon he started giving me those books when he was finished with them and I kept them. Long story short....Mom got hold of them one day. Gone.

Such tragedy

No, but my Dad burned our baseball cards (1961). My brother and I were fighting over who was whose, and he snapped. He dumped two shoeboxes full into the trash burner (yes, we used to burn our trash in those days . . . )

:cry:

No, but my Dad burned our baseball cards (1961). My brother and I were fighting over who was whose, and he snapped. He dumped two shoeboxes full into the trash burner (yes, we used to burn our trash in those days . . . )

Did he burn the Playboys, too, or read them first?

Did he burn the Playboys, too, or read them first?

I think they were his to start with . . . :grin:

(shrug) I didn't understand the whole concept of bagging and boarding at the time anyway. I recently looked at a few that weren't given the heave hoe and they were dog eared, rolled, and sun bleached.

My parents are very supportive of my collection now!

Not only did my parents not throw them out, my Dad rescued them from the basement when the hot water broke and was flooding the room that they were boxed up in while I was at college.

Of course his mom did throw out all of his comics from when he was a kid. He was born in 1926 so I can only imagine what books he and his two older sisters might have had. I do recall him telling me that he had had an Action 1

My parents never threw out any of my comics, but if I left them out on the coffee table, they became coasters and scratch pads. :sorry: Taught me to conceal my trophies...., :thumbsup:

she didn't touch the comics, but she did give away just about everything else. losing my whacky packs stickers and the tonka firetruck was just painful.

I know the feeling of losing stuff other than the comics. She tossed out my Mego action figures and vehicles, the few GI Joe toys I had, and other assorted toys of the 1970's. I don't regret losing any of that stuff other than the Mego stuff, I would like to have that back. But I have never bought any Mego stuff in an effort to regain it.

I posted this somewhere else before but can't remember where...

My mom at least twice mandated that I toss my comics (mid-60s) and both times I went and bought some cheap books (about 50 or so at a few cents apiece) and threw them on top of the trash can and walked my mom out when she got home from work to show her I had complied (which created a real problem that I had to keep my collection hidden for quite some time). My parents were divorced and we were always renting and moving every other year or so...so this created another problem I had to smuggle the comics to the new house. One time I had my best books, probably about 25 and I remember several FF 1-10 etc. hidden behind a pull-out drawer at the base of my closet in my bedroom and for some reason didn't get them smuggled in the move. So I went back to the house about 2 days later and jimmied the window with a butter knife and went to get them and lo and behold they were gone! I think I actually cried that time.

Also, my older (crazy) brother when he'd get mad at me or I wouldn't do something he wanted me to do he'd grab a book and rip it in half...did this at least several times (I remember one book was JIM 113) and it would just make me crazy...this would generally end up in a fairly frenzied fist-fight...

Also, my mom was a devout catholic and I remember when I brought home the new Rolling Stones record Beggars Banquet (1969) and she found it in my room one day and I came home and she had cracked it in half and tore the cover in half and she informed me (re the song Sympathy for the Devil) that "we do not have any sympathy for the devil in this household!" lol

In another related story my mom and the mom of my comic-collecting friend Scott who I met in 4th grade/1964 (and is still a good friend today) got together and banned us from seeing each other for a year (we went to the same school but couldn't see each other outside of school)...apparently they thought we got into too much trouble together. But the funny thing is we virtually saw each other every day outside school...Scott has a paper route after school that I would ride double with him on his route every day. Well one day Scott is banding his papers at the guy's garage where the kids would come for their routes and getting ready to do his route and it starts raining cats and dogs...next thing we know his mom pulls up to drive him on his route. So I quickly ducked out the back and then had to walk like a mile home in the pouring rain and was completely soaked to the bone... lol

Final related stories...sold ASM 1-50 for 65 bucks my sophomore year in high school (1971)...gee, I guess it seemed like a lot of money at the time (?) doh!

And sold two shoe-boxes of baseball cards a few years later for $25...seriously had like 15 years of Mantle, Mays, Koufax, Drysdale, Aaron, Clemente, Ted Williams, Frank Robinson, Lou Brock every freaking hall-of-famer in the book! Man that still haunts me! doh! doh!

I posted this somewhere else before but can't remember where...

My mom at least twice mandated that I toss my comics (mid-60s) and both times I went and bought some cheap books (about 50 or so at a few cents apiece) and threw them on top of the trash can and walked my mom out when she got home from work to show her I had complied (which created a real problem that I had to keep my collection hidden for quite some time). My parents were divorced and we were always renting and moving every other year or so...so this created another problem I had to smuggle the comics to the new house. One time I had my best books, probably about 25 and I remember several FF 1-10 etc. hidden behind a pull-out drawer at the base of my closet in my bedroom and for some reason didn't get them smuggled in the move. So I went back to the house about 2 days later and jimmied the window with a butter knife and went to get them and lo and behold they were gone! I think I actually cried that time.

Also, my older (crazy) brother when he'd get mad at me or I wouldn't do something he wanted me to do he'd grab a book and rip it in half...did this at least several times (I remember one book was JIM 113) and it would just make me crazy...this would generally end up in a fairly frenzied fist-fight...

Also, my mom was a devout catholic and I remember when I brought home the new Rolling Stones record Beggars Banquet (1969) and she found it in my room one day and I came home and she had cracked it in half and tore the cover in half and she informed me (re the song Sympathy for the Devil) that "we do not have any sympathy for the devil in this household!" lol

In another related story my mom and the mom of my comic-collecting friend Scott who I met in 4th grade/1964 (and is still a good friend today) got together and banned us from seeing each other for a year (we went to the same school but couldn't see each other outside of school)...apparently they thought we got into too much trouble together. But the funny thing is we virtually saw each other every day outside school...Scott has a paper route after school that I would ride double with him on his route every day. Well one day Scott is banding his papers at the guy's garage where the kids would come for their routes and getting ready to do his route and it starts raining cats and dogs...next thing we know his mom pulls up to drive him on his route. So I quickly ducked out the back and then had to walk like a mile home in the pouring rain and was completely soaked to the bone... lol

Final related stories...sold ASM 1-50 for 65 bucks my sophomore year in high school (1971)...gee, I guess it seemed like a lot of money at the time (?) doh!

And sold two shoe-boxes of baseball cards a few years later for $25...seriously had like 15 years of Mantle, Mays, Koufax, Drysdale, Aaron, Clemente, Ted Williams, Frank Robinson, Lou Brock every freaking hall-of-famer in the book! Man that still haunts me! doh! doh!

Great stories, especially the one where you sneaked back into your house to get your comics (you were damn lucky nobody spotted you, but when you're that age you never consider the consequences).

You would've probably sold that FF 1-10 set when you got to college anyway, most likely for a song (like the ASMs).

No stories comparable to yours, although my mum did used to rip the odd book in half as punishment for misdemeanors. Thankfully looking back they were nearly all Superman Family 100 pagers or something similar - not the best books in the canon, and not worth a great deal now - it was the mid '70s after all....

My mom supported my comic collecting and told me she had a collection of Superman comics from when she was a girl (in the early 1940s) that HER mom (my grandma) threw out!!! :whatthe::censored:

But my dad absolutely hated to see me "wasting my time" reading comics. He never threatened to throw them away but he did yell at me several times for (in his eyes) wasting my allowance on comics, and he wouldn't give me money to buy comics.

Now when I tell him about what those "old worthless comics" sell for he just shakes his head in disbelief. lol

One horror story: My mom did make me give away a comic to a lonely picked-on kid that moved into my neighborhood. I was a geeky misfit and he even annoyed me! lol:P But she became friends with his mom and took pity on him -- so she told me to let him pick any comic he wanted (to which I protested greatly) and the little weasel picked my Giant Size X-Men #1. No lie. :censored::frustrated:

My mom supported my comic collecting and told me she had a collection of Superman comics from when she was a girl (in the early 1940s) that HER mom (my grandma) threw out!!! :whatthe::censored:

But my dad absolutely hated to see me "wasting my time" reading comics. He never threatened to throw them away but he did yell at me several times for (in his eyes) wasting my allowance on comics, and he wouldn't give me money to buy comics.

Now when I tell him about what those "old worthless comics" sell for he just shakes his head in disbelief. lol

One horror story: My mom did make me give away a comic to a lonely picked-on kid that moved into my neighborhood. I was a geeky misfit and he even annoyed me! lol:P But she became friends with his mom and took pity on him -- so she told me to let him pick any comic he wanted (to which I protested greatly) and the little weasel picked my Giant Size X-Men #1. No lie. :censored::frustrated:

Did you ever try and get the GS X-Men 1 back? Typical turn of events for a kid comic collector...