• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bought my first CGC comic today - what a deal !!!!!!!!

32 posts in this topic

Wow - glad I collect DC.

I thank my collecting Gods on that fact every day.

I used to be a Marvel Zombie, but thanks to intervention from greggy i am now focusing almost solely on DC :cloud9:

so you're saying Greggy inspired you swing to the other side!

:o:o:o:o:o

:kidaround:

I am so PUMPED about getting my hands on this comic a Detective #468 in CGC 9.8. :D:grin::):banana:

I never buy CGC comics, but I had to have this one. This issue was the first Detective I ever bought as a kid and I have been looking for a 9.8 for over a year now.

Amazingly I got it for only $77. What a great deal. A dealer has been trying to sell a 9.4 for $75 on ebay for a long time now, so I am excited to get a 9.8

Now I need to find my first Batman and first Brave & Bold issues I bought as 9.8's and my quest will be complete. I am determined to have all 3 of them in 9.8 and that will be the nature of my CGC collection. One down, two to go.

Is it just my imagination, or does 1975-1980 DC comics get a lot less CGC respect than Marvels of the same era. Because when I look at completed auctions, I see X-mens, Spidermans and even Fantastic Fours from the late 1970's sell from $300 to $2000+ in 9.8. So a Marshall Rogers Batman in 9.8 seems like a steal at $77 by comparison. It guides for $35 and the case cost $15, so the premium is only $27 for a 9.8

By comparison, I saw a late 1970's Fantastic Four in 9.8 that guides for $12 sell for $400. Wow - glad I collect DC.

lol

I'm sure you'll get your book. Greg just screwed up hard with my order and is now trying to pull every excuse in the book out of his to cover for it.

Congrats and welcome to the CGC addiction!!!!!!

Richard :golfclap:

I remember the first book I ever sent to get graded.

I remember my first Pedigree slab bought, but for the life of I can't remember the first slab I bought

I remember my first Pedigree slab bought, but for the life of I can't remember the first slab I bought

My 1st slab was a 7.0 ASM 29

Wish I would have held onto it..... :(

Yep, I am with you! My first slabbed books were TOS 39 (6.5) and TOS 48 (9.2). Man I wish I hadn't sold them!

Yep, I am with you! My first slabbed books were TOS 39 (6.5) and TOS 48 (9.2). Man I wish I hadn't sold them!

I gave my first slab as a contest prize to Brian "comic Junkie" Rickard

for guessing my son's B'day...

An ASM 102 in 7.5

and I couldn't be happier.

:cloud9:

Is it just my imagination, or does 1975-1980 DC comics get a lot less CGC respect than Marvels of the same era.

DCs don't get a lot of respect.

I don't know about that. When Batman 227 sells for over $1000 and Green Lantern 76 goes for over $5000, I would say that is plenty of respect. But I just don't see a lot of CGC graded DC's being made available for sale on ebay post 1975 compared to the amount of Marvels offered.

DC books in the time period of that issue were not really well-like by those of us buying books back then. Thus, there's a significantly smaller amount of nostalgic appeal for those books, which translates to a lower overall premium.

Which is good for those who do feel nostalgia for those books, as well as DC completists, if there are any actually out there besides the usual suspects

I started buying superhero books in 1975, both DC and Marvel, so I have that goofy nostalgic feeling for these books, but especially for DC. Superman and Batman just seemed more heroic to me. Spider-Man seemed to whine all the time, and FF was like watching a soap opera.

I love these books...

detective457.jpg

action485.jpg

superman317.jpg

dcspecial29.jpg

dcsuperstars14.jpg

flash235.jpg

flash246.jpg

flash275.jpg

jla138.jpg

ragman1.jpg

secretsociety1.jpg

Wow - glad I collect DC.

I thank my collecting Gods on that fact every day.

I used to be a Marvel Zombie, but thanks to intervention from greggy i am now focusing almost solely on DC :cloud9:

Yikes. An intervention from a poor misguided soul bringing you over to the dull side. It's all good if you're happy though. Brainwashed, yes. But Happy.

I started buying superhero books in 1975, both DC and Marvel, so I have that goofy nostalgic feeling for these books, but especially for DC. Superman and Batman just seemed more heroic to me. Spider-Man seemed to whine all the time, and FF was like watching a soap opera.

I love these books...

I'm noticing a lot of Adams covers in your "loves". But Adams didn't do any Batman covers in the mid/late 70's other than maybe some Worlds Finest stuff and a couple of those oversize Limited Collectors Edition books.

I can sort of understand why people shun 1975 to 1980 DC. They lost many of their great (interior) artists like Adams and Wrightson, and the Perez/Titans stuff didn't come around until 1980.

Marvel wasn't much better for great artists other than Byrne. There was a real dry spell in the industry after 1974, until Miller Daredevil came in 1979, and Perez Titans in 1980.

Is it just my imagination, or does 1975-1980 DC comics get a lot less CGC respect than Marvels of the same era.

DCs don't get a lot of respect.

I don't know about that. When Batman 227 sells for over $1000 and Green Lantern 76 goes for over $5000, I would say that is plenty of respect. But I just don't see a lot of CGC graded DC's being made available for sale on ebay post 1975 compared to the amount of Marvels offered.

DC books in the time period of that issue were not really well-like by those of us buying books back then. Thus, there's a significantly smaller amount of nostalgic appeal for those books, which translates to a lower overall premium.

Which is good for those who do feel nostalgia for those books, as well as DC completists, if there are any actually out there besides the usual suspects

I started buying superhero books in 1975, both DC and Marvel, so I have that goofy nostalgic feeling for these books...

oh hey, me too. by "us" i meant the collecting community as a whole rather than referring to me and a bunch of other folk.

the late 70s were a great time to get into comics :cloud9: