• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hotel/general advice for SD

29 posts in this topic

I ran into someone at the con this year who passed on the hotel thing and just rented a condo in the gaslamp for the week. Spent less money than is charged for the nearby hotels, had more space and a full kitchen.

I've already booked a hotel for next year. I figure my AAA rate will equal or be close to the convention rate. This way I don't have to be a part of that mad rush for a hotel room when they're finally released in February.

You book into the Best Western Bayside? Booked it earlier in the week as a placeholder to guarantee me a place to sleep. Will fight with the rest of the peanut gallery early next year to see if I can find something else closer or cheaper.

I ran into someone at the con this year who passed on the hotel thing and just rented a condo in the gaslamp for the week. Spent less money than is charged for the nearby hotels, had more space and a full kitchen.

I've already booked a hotel for next year. I figure my AAA rate will equal or be close to the convention rate. This way I don't have to be a part of that mad rush for a hotel room when they're finally released in February.

You book into the Best Western Bayside? Booked it earlier in the week as a placeholder to guarantee me a place to sleep. Will fight with the rest of the peanut gallery early next year to see if I can find something else closer or cheaper.

Yep, I'm at the Bayside. (thumbs u

A few forumites could probably bring the cost down on renting a condo for a week, by sharing.

Sounds like an MTV reality show. If I were awake, I'd come up with a witty name for it.

This past con, we had 4 comic geeks sharing one hotel room.

How many snorers?

to me it seemed like all of them. Although Greggy snagged the earplugs to sleep with.

A few forumites could probably bring the cost down on renting a condo for a week, by sharing.

Sounds like an MTV reality show. If I were awake, I'd come up with a witty name for it.

This past con, we had 4 comic geeks sharing one hotel room.

How many snorers?

to me it seemed like all of them. Although Greggy snagged the earplugs to sleep with.
:banana:

Is it part of the shuttle route or close to a hotel that is? :headbang:

It became part of the route this year.

It became part of the route this year.

I just booked at the Best Western Bayside as well (thumbs u

This year was the first year ever that I wasn't able to get into a con affiliated hotel, and it was my 15th trip in a row to the con. My work computer jammed and I couldn't wait all day to get through the con's booking system. By the time I got home every damn hotel was completely booked.

So a little panicked, my friend gave me a tip. I checked out the local Motel 6s in the area and there were two that were on the trolley route with rooms available. The Motel 6 by Horton Plaza was also sold out at the time. Six miles from the con, in Chula Vista, but right on the Trolley line was a Motel 6 with plenty of open rooms for only $56 per night. The one we chose was the Airport Motel 6 about two miles from the con for $112 a night. This one eventually sold out but the Chula Vista location may not have sold out.

I was a little leary about the Trolley system but it was easy, very cheap and worked out fine, with plenty of runs all day long. Usually every 15 or 30 minutes. For anyone that cares, the Airport Motel 6 was right next to a strip club. Not a fancy part of town by any means, but still a safe neighborhood. This location is also walkable to the con and takes about a half hour to do so.

I had preferred the Manchester Hyatt and always go for that first. But when you just can't get in, there are always other options. Taking the trolley back to our motel each night, there were always dozens more attendees still on the trolley when we got off on the way to their hotels that were farther away than ours (this was when heading in the direction of the airport). So in otherwords, if you are willing to take the very easy trolley system, there are PLENTY of available rooms all over town.