• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hotel/general advice for SD

29 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm going to SD for the first time next year, and I'd like to get the hotel reservations and stuff knocked out as early as possible. Do any of you who've gone to this show before have any advice for me? Non-hotel related advice is welcome as well (thumbs u

Here is a good way to start.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_hotel.shtml

Ya, I've already been there. I was thinking more along the lines of "insider" knowledge that could only have been gained during numerous trips to the con. Which hotels do people like more than others and why...tell the concierge at this hotel that "the air is cold in Moscow this time of year" and he'll give you free room-service...that sort of stuff...

Here is a good way to start.

Ya, I've already been there. I was thinking more along the lines of "insider" knowledge that could only have been gained during numerous trips to the con. Which hotels do people like more than others and why...tell the concierge at this hotel that "the air is cold in Moscow this time of year" and he'll give you free room-service...that sort of stuff...

lol It's gonna be sold out one way or the other so you might as well get one that you're comfortable with at your price range.

You've got to be there RIGHT at the opening of the Con Hotels... so watch the SDCC Updates.

If you don't get a room, then you need to just recheck periodically because people will often double-book or cancel their reservations. (This usually happens about a month or so before the con date.)

Some hotels require a down payment at some point or a credit card, so those reservations lapse as well. (About 60 days I guess.)

It also depends if you're bringing a wife or SO. Being near Horton Plaza then is a perk...

kk1,

Try to book your SDCC hotel NOW using any other discount card u have like Entertainment book, Government/military employee, etc. It is impossible to book the convention rate upon the 1st day of hotel room release around 08Feb07 as the comic-con website is jammed for 2 hours by 125,000 sweaty fans on their keyboards. :blahblah:

Else ask greggy what kind of discount u can get by sleeping on the floor. Helps if u don't snore or smoke. :cry:

The free shuttle busses are a big help in getting the room rate you want even if the bus is`nt picking up at your hotel. :grin:

We stayed at the comfort inn this last time and caught the shuttle next door at sheraton suites,as long as you have your badge your covered. (thumbs u

You should really just look at the Comic-Con site. It has a lot of information.

http://www.comic-con.org

Any other hotels near any of these hotels would have a Shuttle stop within walking distance.

Map of Shuttle Route

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/forms/cci07_shuttle.pdf

You should really just look at the Comic-Con site. It has a lot of information.

http://www.comic-con.org

Any other hotels near any of these hotels would have a Shuttle stop within walking distance.

Map of Shuttle Route

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/forms/cci07_shuttle.pdf

Perfect place to start. (thumbs u

Holy :pullhair: I just tried to make my reservations at the Embassy Suites, which is where I have stayed every year for the last three. In the past it has been $239 - $279 per night.

Now the cheapest I can get, one year out, is $459 - $479!!! :o:pullhair::frustrated::screwy:

Cr @ p.

Coincidentally, I just got in the mail this weekend a Hilton HHonors Gold VIP card. Quoted rate for VIPs, $399.

When i was making my reservation it did appear that a bunch of the hotels rates went up. :P

I`m trying the holiday inn this time,the rates are still low so i booked already.

It has a shuttle stop and i can walk over to the gaslamp district for dinner.

(thumbs u

I ran into someone at the con this year who passed on the hotel thing and just rented a condo in the gaslamp for the week. Spent less money than is charged for the nearby hotels, had more space and a full kitchen.

I've already booked a hotel for next year. I figure my AAA rate will equal or be close to the convention rate. This way I don't have to be a part of that mad rush for a hotel room when they're finally released in February.

I ran into someone at the con this year who passed on the hotel thing and just rented a condo in the gaslamp for the week. Spent less money than is charged for the nearby hotels, had more space and a full kitchen.

I've already booked a hotel for next year. I figure my AAA rate will equal or be close to the convention rate. This way I don't have to be a part of that mad rush for a hotel room when they're finally released in February.

A few forumites could probably bring the cost down on renting a condo for a week, by sharing.

A few forumites could probably bring the cost down on renting a condo for a week, by sharing.

Sounds like an MTV reality show. If I were awake, I'd come up with a witty name for it.

Sounds like an MTV reality show. If I were awake, I'd come up with a witty name for it.

This past con, we had 4 comic geeks sharing one hotel room.

This past con, we had 4 comic geeks sharing one hotel room.

How many snorers?

:signfunny: