• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWSFLASH! No Wizard World comic con next year '08 in Chicago

36 posts in this topic

My question is whether Schaumburg will have a Gibson's Steakhouse across the street for the convention center for the Forum dinner...

Not that I've made it out since I moved to Boston from Milwaukee, but I may go next year!

Dan

Schaumburg has a Shaw's Crab House that has great steaks and the best, freshest seafood you may find anywhere.

Oooh.. And right down Meacham Road off of Golf is Weber Grill Restaurant. They have great grilled selections (of course) but a desert menu that will knock you out.

Then there is Benihana (a classic), Lalo's, Maggiano's, Morton's,Sal & Carvao Churrascaria (brazilian steakhouse), Smokey Bones BBQ (you have not lived until you have had their ribs).

and for those willing to roll around in their Uber Geekiness...

Medieval Times

And those are just the pricier joints.

There are about a hundred mid and low priced options in Schaumburg of pretty much every kind of food.

Dammit...now I am hungry.

Chris

Arex, $14 for a beer and fast food it pretty cheap in a larger town. In towns like Montreal you can pay between $5-10 just for a drink.

I have to say that the con facility was pretty good. Lots of AC, a few different choices for snacks, big bathrooms...but my biggest complaint was that there was very little in the way of entertainment besides the hotels and the local Mcdonalds. Louise and I took a cab into Chicago Sat nite ($40 EACH WAY!! about a 20-30 minute trip) and that was a real pain in the arse. Who wants to take a train at 2 am in the morning for a 40 minute ride? That is my biggest complaint. The area was secluded from any place remotely civilized. You go to either Toronto con and you can have a blast as they are both in the heart of the city!

How was the dancing?

Arex, $14 for a beer and fast food it pretty cheap in a larger town. In towns like Montreal you can pay between $5-10 just for a drink.

:shrug: i guess it is all perspective Roy. It just seemed like expensive to me.

but my biggest complaint was that there was very little in the way of entertainment besides the hotels and the local Mcdonalds
That was really my only complaint as well. Plus that tied in to my $14 a meal comment. I never saw the McDonalds Roy, where was it?

There seemed to be nothing around the convention center that was an alternative to the eating there.

It sounds like next years location has more alternate choices than the convention cafeteria.

My question is whether Schaumburg will have a Gibson's Steakhouse across the street for the convention center for the Forum dinner...

Not that I've made it out since I moved to Boston from Milwaukee, but I may go next year!

Dan

Not a Gibson's, but it does have a Sam and Harry's right across the street. Plus, and I don't think its going to happen, if there is a move, there are many more hotel options in Schaumburg than Rosemont, and it will be cheaper. The Rennaissance Center is, essentially, at the intersection of I-90 and I-290 - it is off of Meacham Road, but is very easy to find.

I think it could happen because the 2-3 large sportscards shows (Sportsfest, Sun Times) that used to be at Rosemont for years and years recently switched to the new Schaumburg site this year. I really do not like it all because of the hotel options and the traffic. I guess everyone is also just used to Rosemont and does not want a change. I know my way to Giordanos, Gibsons, and Portillos from there and do not like all this upheaval. I am sure the new venue is cheaper and that is why the changes happened, but attendance was way down at the card shows I have been to this year. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

MoonDog, do you have some "firm" info you can share?

gator

Part-time collector/dealers like me are the last to know, Rick. But if I happen to hear something, you know I'll post it. :P

Wizard needs to do something drastic or they're going to be left behind. They need to leverage the power (what's left of it?) of their magazine to get the big publishers and movie/TV studios to bring big-time guests. DC did Wizard a big favor by having the Bat movie panel. But some second tier SF actress as their main guest? They've got to do better than that...