• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWSFLASH! No Wizard World comic con next year '08 in Chicago

36 posts in this topic

I'm really bummed out about this. :cry:

I've heard (from a very reliable source) that there will not be a Rosmount/Chicago comic con next year. A three year contract was signed with some other place in Schumburg, IL. I don't know what convention center big enough for a Wizard World con would be there. I'm thinking next years may be of a smaller scale. Right now I'm not sure if this is a good move on their part. Because I've always enjoyed these show each year. I don't know if it would be the same.

You heard it here first.

Any coments? Any other info on this?

Looks like it is <20 miles from downtown Chicago and has a pretty big convention center: http://www.ci.schaumburg.il.us/vos.nsf/schaumburg/DKET-68ANPP

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chirs-renaissance-schaumburg-hotel-and-convention-center/

Edit: In the second link click on the phot tour and the 'Convention Center Space' picture; looks huge.

I'm really bummed out about this. :cry:

I've heard (from a very reliable source) that there will not be a Rosmount/Chicago comic con next year. A three year contract was signed with some other place in Schumburg, IL. I don't know what convention center big enough for a Wizard World con would be there. I'm thinking next years may be of a smaller scale. Right now I'm not sure if this is a good move on their part. Because I've always enjoyed these show each year. I don't know if it would be the same.

You heard it here first.

Any coments? Any other info on this?

:o:o:o

Who wants to go to Chicago anyways? :baiting:

You are right it doesn't smell anywhere near and "interesting" as Jersey. :baiting:

You are right it doesn't smell anywhere near and "interesting" as Jersey. :baiting:

Big whup. Aren't both of them burbs of Chicago? (shrug)

Chicago's a burb of Chicago? hm

Rosemont and Schaumberg :busy:

Rosemont and Schaumberg :busy:

Yes.

I haven't heard anything about a move, and I spent the last two days helping Moondog set up his booth. If anyone would know about it, Gary would. Wizard bought the freakin con from him.

The Schaumburg Renaissance Center is an unbelievable facility. There is plenty of shopping (Woodfield), hotels and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel rooms at the Renaissance Center all have hi-def plasmas. The convention rooms are so plush it's hard to describe.

That being said it's in f'ing Schaumburg where the traffic really sucks. It's about 10 miles west of Rosemont so it adds anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour if you're going into the city. And most importantly there's no public transportation to the event site from the city. There are buses you can take from the Rosemont CTA station, but man, that's got to be a hassle.

If the city fans don't come in, the dealers can be hurt...

Moondog is right, the facility is amazing. My family and I recently stayed there while doing some shopping and taking our daughter to a Cubs game. I will also echo Moondog's point that travel and convience could be a major issue for the show. We'll find out next year....

The only really complaint I had was the fact that there seemed to be no place close by to eat at. When you pay $14 for a burger, fries and a beer in the expo cafe, thats a little expensive.

It sounds like the new location will be a little more friendly to having other places to eat or go if you want to get away from the show a little.

My question is whether or not the hotels near it will have a shuttle that runs. That was a very big plus imo for where we stayed. The shuttle would take you a lot of places and ran very regularly. It was only about a 5 minut ride to the show and about a 8-10 ride to the airport.

My question is whether Schaumburg will have a Gibson's Steakhouse across the street for the convention center for the Forum dinner...

Not that I've made it out since I moved to Boston from Milwaukee, but I may go next year!

Dan

Arex, $14 for a beer and fast food it pretty cheap in a larger town. In towns like Montreal you can pay between $5-10 just for a drink.

I have to say that the con facility was pretty good. Lots of AC, a few different choices for snacks, big bathrooms...but my biggest complaint was that there was very little in the way of entertainment besides the hotels and the local Mcdonalds. Louise and I took a cab into Chicago Sat nite ($40 EACH WAY!! about a 20-30 minute trip) and that was a real pain in the arse. Who wants to take a train at 2 am in the morning for a 40 minute ride? That is my biggest complaint. The area was secluded from any place remotely civilized. You go to either Toronto con and you can have a blast as they are both in the heart of the city!