• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 73 CGC 9.8- is this a scam?- your advice??

6 posts in this topic

Maybe some of the more expierienced ebay buyers can help me out here...

I very recently bid and won a Amazing Spider-Man #73, CGC 9.8 with white pages for an incredible £99 pounds - about $200 US.

This is obviously a great deal, I think at least, but I am sceptical for a few reasons.

1-He does not take paypal, only check, postal order and other

2-He is a relatively new ebayer with only two feedback one as a seller, one as a buyer. Registered since June of this year.

3- I offered to meet him to pay, cash or check, just to ensure my money does not get stolen and the deal is real. He says that he is busy moving house and will be away on buisness often in the next few weeks.

My main question is that if I send a check or postal order and the comic never arrives ( ala the too good to be true theory ), am I covered at all by ebay. I know paypal covers these things but does ebay. What other options do I have. I would hate to let this deal slip through my fingers, but I also don't want to lose my $200 to an ebay scam. What other suggestions do you have. Thanks for any help I get

A 9.9 copy went for 5100 USD and last 9.8 I saw was around 1700 or so.

Tell him to send you the CGC serial # and run it by a few of the collections in the registry as of current. It may be a book that someone else has and that may help.

My thoughts,

Richard

Thats good advice (thumbs u

Maybe some of the more expierienced ebay buyers can help me out here...

I very recently bid and won a Amazing Spider-Man #73, CGC 9.8 with white pages for an incredible £99 pounds - about $200 US.

This is obviously a great deal, I think at least, but I am sceptical for a few reasons.

1-He does not take paypal, only check, postal order and other

2-He is a relatively new ebayer with only two feedback one as a seller, one as a buyer. Registered since June of this year.

3- I offered to meet him to pay, cash or check, just to ensure my money does not get stolen and the deal is real. He says that he is busy moving house and will be away on buisness often in the next few weeks.

My main question is that if I send a check or postal order and the comic never arrives ( ala the too good to be true theory ), am I covered at all by ebay. I know paypal covers these things but does ebay. What other options do I have. I would hate to let this deal slip through my fingers, but I also don't want to lose my $200 to an ebay scam. What other suggestions do you have. Thanks for any help I get

No you won't be covered really. eBay do have a system but it can take 6 months and they keep the first £15 as an administration charge and neither is it full proof. Post a link to the auction but i wouldn't send a cheque on a book like that. Better to loose an unlikely at best chance than to loose £100.