• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What OA can you get for $300

97 posts in this topic

With a nod to the "What OA can you get for $30k" I thought we'd show some of our favorite OA pieces that we got for $300 or under.

Hopefully we'll show collectors new to OA that there's nice stuff available at decent prices. I'll start with a splash page from Invincible"

Inv37pg4.jpg

Let's see them :popcorn:

I got the following pages for under $300 and love em all: (note this was in the past couple years -- this thread would have to be "OA you got for $300 or under adjusted for inflation")

Machina Origin Page #1

Machina Origin Page #2

Got both of those during Spencer's annual sale. Both pages 50% off since Mitch was not "in costume" - Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The pages are actually worth 10X or 20X the purchase price to me. I mean, having a character's origin from one of your favorite modern books? Priceless, really.

Van Sciver Batman/Green Lantern Page

This one has a lot of panels, but I really really dig it. Batman and Green Lantern in the Batmobile by one of my favorite modern artists? It's a no brainer!

I think $300 is still quite a bit of money in this hobby. I buy a lot of art over $300 but I have that little voice in my head that sounds off when something is over $200. Yes, price escalation is everywhere and bronze age covers are easily over 3k, but you can buy a lot of art for under $300.

A quick look through my CAF, leaving out sketches, and at the time I bought the piece: 61 where less than $300 versus 15 over $300. If I were to sell them all today, I value another dozen over $300, but if you love indy comics you can find great deals.

Here is some of my collection:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=299

I have only one page that I spent over $300 for. I don't have a huge collection, nor a bunch of BIG names. But I feel I have some nice looking pages. Otherwise I would not have bought them. Check the link in my sig for my gallery.

Brian

You don't have to spend big money to get big art. You have to be patient, and I do admit, you won't always get prime stuff but in my CAF with over 100 pieces, including:

3-5 covers, 2 DPS, and pages from Miracleman, DD M w/o F, Batman: Cult, Mage, Keown hulk, Van Sciver GL: Rebirth, Tex Ghost Rider splash, and artists such as Land, Platt, Hughes, JG Jones, Darrow and many more great names and key runs to mention, there are probably only 5 pages that I spent more than $300 on.

Malvin

My CAF

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=614

I picked this OA up at SDCC from Philippine artist Jay Anacleto. He is known for lush background pencils on the Aria comic series. His published covers are btwn $1k to $1,400 but his panel pages are less than $300 each.

P7260242.jpg