• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is your Local Comic Shop's Customer Service Performance?

44 posts in this topic

Johnny went to one comic shop where when approaching the counter, had to wait for the owner sometimes up to 15 minutes while he played World of Warcraft on the computer with his friends. Johnny would say "I'm ready Rick" only to be told "Just one sec..." Often Rick didn't pull books because he was too busy playing video games.

After 8 years of this Johnny switched to another shop where they hand me my books on entry and stand behind the counter waiting to ring me up.

Much Better for Johnny!

Hey, man.... sometimes customers can be such a drag. Jes' they act like I'm their slave or something. I mean, I'll get to you, y'now... quit breathing down my neck. If I wanted nagging, I'd go home to my ball and chain wife. Cripes.

I hate hearing stories like this. With customer service like this, why would anyone want to get into comic collecting? I think you need to find another store.

On another note, can you say "I" instead of Annihilus? Use of third person should be restricted to sport celebrities like Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods etc...

My loooooooooooong time LCS (Astro Books here in Montreal) is, and always has been fantastic. Never a hassle.

They even bailed me out of a big jam when I had my comic shop way-back-when and my new comic order was blocked by my crooked franchisor.

Stop -kissing Dave. :baiting:

My loooooooooooong time LCS (Astro Books here in Montreal) is, and always has been fantastic. Never a hassle.

They even bailed me out of a big jam when I had my comic shop way-back-when and my new comic order was blocked by my crooked franchisor.

I've experienced both extremes here in Montreal.

One shop has the NICEST most HELPFUL clerk I have encountered in ANY field of retail.

The other store had one of the WORST clerks EVER. In fact, I wrote an e-mail to the owner, who is a wonderful chap by the way, expressing my dissatisfaction with the service given by the clerk. So bad was the service, I told the owner I refused to contribute to the clerk's wages by shopping there.

What was so bad? Well, he (1) like in the example above, put his socializing ahead of serving the customers; (2) always threw my bags and boards in my general direction; (3) admitted to being drunk one day to another customer; (4) always told me I was wasting my money on variants; (5) told me how "" several of the books I buy are, without being asked his opinion; and (6) once, I pointed out the bags & boards were missing from my purchase, but he insisted I had not asked for bags & boards (had he not been talking to a 'friend' throughout my transaction he would have noticed me asking for bags and boards as I always do....)

Well, the owner fired him, using my e-letter as the final straw. As it turned out, the boss was unhappy with him, but couldn't do anything until someone spoke up. I was far from being the only unhappy camper, but I was the only one to formally address it.

I hate to see people lose their job, but what goes around comes around. The store is now back to being A+.

Most of the comic shops here are pretty darned good in terms of service.

:cry: the other day i was getting a few books and trying to find another. i used to go to this store all the time untill they started playing those lil clix games. well i had asked for a OS grading guide book,they were baffled and spent 30 minutes with me trying to convince me that the grading portion is at the front of the price guide. long story short they didnt even know what "overstreet grading guide" was. they were explaining to me how they grade and its scary.

link i was givin and printed out picture for them: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Overstreet-Comic-Grading-Guide/dp/0609810529/ref=pd_bbs_sr_11/105-2124995-4243622?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187026346&sr=8-11

also same shop has a younger (say 17-18yr old) person working that just threw the change onto the counter and floor while having a "as if" conversation on phone! i told her to get the off of phone come around and pick it up. she told them what happened and got yelled at but not fired.

On a slightly related note, two comic shops in Northern California are about to close their doors... sckao has noted that there's been some talk about the further consolidation of comic book stores and there might be some truth in that.

To be fair, one of the stores closing is geographically in a BAD LOCATION.

FlyingDonut loves his LCS, except for the fact that they've moved to West Virginia (well not that far, but pretty damn far from Casa Donut). FlyingDonut likes snark and cynicism in his retailer, as long as they are informed and understand comics, so they're quite good.

I also love my LCS. It's only been open about a year and the owner Colin has a genuine enthusiasm toward comics. I did mention it’s only been a year. lol

I've gotten some fantastic deals on Variants and 1st crack at older books that have been brought it. :cloud9:

:cry: the other day i was getting a few books and trying to find another. i used to go to this store all the time untill they started playing those lil clix games. well i had asked for a OS grading guide book,they were baffled and spent 30 minutes with me trying to convince me that the grading portion is at the front of the price guide. long story short they didnt even know what "overstreet grading guide" was. they were explaining to me how they grade and its scary.

Reminds me of a time when I went into the worst LCS in town and asked to see a Wizard or Overstreet to check a reference. The clerk gave me attitude and FORBID me from looking at a guide. I guess he was affraid I would 'realize' how overprized his few wall comics were. I didn't need the guide to realize that. lol

dcbs comics already at my house. Wednesday releases on my doorstep by noon on thursday. heaven

And then people complain when the stores in their hometowns close :cry:

This thread was definately not intended to be an indictment of every LCS in the country....far from it. There are a whole bunch of great stores around (especially in the south) with stellar service, selection, etc. There is a great store here too....Hot Comics & Collectibles in New Hope. They don't have the biggest selection in the twin cities or anything, but the service is always top notch. Other shops could take a lesson from the guys in New Hope.

It just sucks when there are otherwise cool stores that are ruined by poor (or no) service. Annihilus usually hits 4 LCS's every couple of weeks in the area and has many times made decisions not to purchase something because of the service. There have been many times that clerks have not spoken one word to any customers in the store during the entire visit, including checkout.

Some cool stores with great service in the past:

The aforementioned Hot Comics in New Hope, MN

Golden Age Collectibles (Pike's Place Market, Seattle)

Collectibles, Etc. (Lexington, KY)

Moonlite Comics (Frankfort, KY).....this was back in the mid-90's, moonlite

Comic Quest (Evansville, IN)

Page 3's Game Zone (Pikeville, KY)

*edit....almost forgot the great guys at The Source (Falcon Heights, MN)

There are tons of others with great service. It's just too bad that some of the LCS's don't realize just how much potential business they're losing.

Until last year's edition, OSPG always had grading definitions in the front, which is probably why they were trying to convince you. I believe they were re-instated this year, although I have not looked at a current guide.

My 2 LCS have poor CS.

The first shop has a guy behind the counter who basically waits there to enter the sale. If you ask him question he usually don't know the answer. He should try and gain SOME comic knowledge.

The other store is a better store for stock but offers far worst service. The selection is amazing but overpriced and their staff are some of he rudest people ever born. To them the customer is an inconvienience. Little do they realize that they wouldn't exsist without the customer.