• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charles Biro's TV Career

15 posts in this topic

So I'm a big fan of Charles Biro. I was doing some reading today about him and found a couple of articles indicating he left comics for television in 1962, 10 years before his death.

The thing is, I can't find any info on WHAT he did in television. (Producer? Director? Talk Show Host? Soap Star?) Does anybody know what his career was like after funnybooks?

Thanks in advance,

-Rob-

Rob,

I would suggest you wait and buy Alter Ego # 73 - Linky Poo

Here's from the ad blurb: "Plus, amazing interviews with CHARLES BIRO and his DAUGHTERS on the life and times of the man behind Daredevil, Boy Comics, and Crime Does Not Pay."

Rob,

I would suggest you wait and buy Alter Ego # 73 - Linky Poo

Here's from the ad blurb: "Plus, amazing interviews with CHARLES BIRO and his DAUGHTERS on the life and times of the man behind Daredevil, Boy Comics, and Crime Does Not Pay."

Hmm talk about timing! Can hardly wait to get my hands on that.

Thanks guys.

If anyone else still has info on the tv stuff, feel free to post up.

If you haven't seen this, I think you'll enjoy it Rob. Here's Biro with a pet monkey, hard at work. Scanned from CBM # 36 (originally provided by ??) -

Dude that's AWESOME. Did he have a pet monkey or did it belong to someone else? Hahaha Awesome.

If you haven't seen this, I think you'll enjoy it Rob. Here's Biro with a pet monkey, hard at work. Scanned from CBM # 36 (originally provided by ??) -

Dude that's AWESOME. Did he have a pet monkey or did it belong to someone else? Hahaha Awesome.

Have you ever seen the inside front cover to the Uncle Charlie's Fables issues. Each sports a picture of Biro as Uncle Charlie reading to tell a story to a group of kids. Those are fun. Enjoy, here's from issue # 2 -

42339-UncleCharliesFables2IFCs.jpg.da00445d2ebb92fbea18f25573f40a3a.jpg

Is that the guy that did the POPPO OF THE POPCORN THEATER giveaway comics? Kind of creepy clown comic I picked up on E-BAY a couple of days ago.

Same guy. He also did the first adult comic "Tops" in 1949. I'm not sure what the content was, though, as I've not personally seen an issue of this.

Just out of curiosity, how did you do on that EBay score?

-Rob-

Got it for 9.00 total shipping included. The grade was probably about 3.5 although it definatly displays better. I just like weird obscure stuff, and anyone who has seen this cover knows what I mean by creepy clown cover. What was humourous light and carefree then becomes kinda dark and almost obscene nowadays. And that is not meant to disparage Mr. Biro I am just making a observation of the changing times.

7745_2.JPG

v.1, #11 - Unsold/No bids - $2. + $6. shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/POPPO-OF-THE-POPCORN-THEATER-VOL-1-NO-11_W0QQitemZ150149876448QQihZ005QQcategoryZ64QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Poppo, a life-long circus clown, has traveled the world bringing joy to kids of all ages. Now that he’s retired, he’s content to entertain his friends with puppet shows at his own theater. Poppo also appeared on television for a time in the 1950’s, in a weekly one-hour variety and cartoon show on NBC. Besides detailing Poppo’s many adventures, this comic also features puzzles, fun circus facts, and the secrets of simple magic tricks.

This thirteen issue series was written and drawn by the legendary Charles Biro, a far cry from the vivid and often gruesome artwork he produced for comics like Crime Does not Pay and Boy Comics.

The Poppo comic carried a cover price of 10 cents, but was often given away as a promo by IGA supermarkets. The comic book is from 1955.