• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I go wrong paying 1.5x guide for a 9.2 key?

41 posts in this topic

So basically $4200 may be a little higher than current market price but 10 years from now it won't matter whether I paid $3500 or $4200 cuz either price would have been a good deal. Thanks for the help guys.

I'm not a big fan of the long term potential of this book. It was really run up during the pre-movie hype and exists in fairly significant numbers for a key (high grade or not). In fact, I posted two links not too long ago where VF+ 8.5 copies were selling on ebay in the $1,450-$1,600 range. I myself have owned several nice copies of this book in my time, and there are still many high grade raw copies in personal collections that have yet to make their way to CGC.

My recommendation as always: spend what you are comfortable with and buy what you really want.

So basically $4200 may be a little higher than current market price but 10 years from now it won't matter whether I paid $3500 or $4200 cuz either price would have been a good deal. Thanks for the help guys.

Huh?

Ok, let's say in ten years this book is a $7,000 (which I don't believe it will be).

If you buy it at $4,200 then you would have made around a 65% profit (not bad).

If you but it at $3,500 then you would have made a 100% profit (which is significantly better).

Point:

In all investments, the amount of profit is determined equally by:

1) What you pay for the investment

2) What you sell the investment for

I for one, enjoy collecting comic books. That said, I get a bigger thrill when I get a book I want, at a price that I believe is a good deal.

Jim

well, I agree with the investment naysayers who have already replied....

PLUS heres another tidbit to consider: In Metros latest emailing, they list the Spidey's they are seeking to buy in NM: AND #14 IS NOT ON THE LIST! There were about 9 out of the first 20 issues, skipping #14. So that tells you either that they have plenty of them already... and they arent flying out the door, or, its not a good buy or easy sale at current inflated prices.

Buyer beware

In Metros latest emailing, they list the Spidey's they are seeking to buy in NM: AND #14 IS NOT ON THE LIST! There were about 9 out of the first 20 issues, skipping #14.

Aman,

Do you still have that emailing? If so I'd love to see it - could you forward it to me or list the issues?

Much appreciated grin.gif

Here's Highgradecomics.com's buy list

Amazing Spiderman #2 - 29, 31 - 100, Ann #1-3

#14 is listed and I already have 3 copies!

Metropolis controls the market? They determine if a book is good or not?

foreheadslap.gif

Bob

While Metro by no means controls the market, they certainly are one of the moneymakers. Paying attention to their buying list is important to trying to get a jump on any developing trends. Wouldn't this be considered due diligence?

My problem with this buyer is he thinks buying a 9.2 book at 1.5x the price of a 9.4 book is a good thing. The 9.0 value of the book is 2080 so you can just as accurately say the book is 2.2x guide. No matter what other similar books have sold for, this book at 4200 is not priced at 1.5x guide.

Now, as far as the longterm value of this book may be.

Would you buy a house worth 250k in todays market for 400k because you feel that in ten years it will be worth a half million? If your answer is yes,please call me, and I will buy this book for you at the closing of my house.

Okay...so if I got this correct I should look at the 9.0 price and not the 9.4 price for the calculation of multiples of guide? As well, when I mentioned that 10 years from now it won't matter if I paid $3500 or $4200 I wasn't asking from an investor point of view...I was just responding to the person who early in this thread suggested to pick it up at any price while the entire economy was slow. As if to mean that he felt the book was undervalued but judging by the other posts most feel that this book has reached it's peak and paying any type of premium for it at this time would be foolish. Thnaks for the input.

Jim

Developing trends? I hate to let you in on a little secret but I think Metropolis pays more attention to what I sellbooks in the Silver Age market, especially the Marvel market. So if anyone in the business should be paid attention to, it's me.

Could not agree more,but my post contained a typo and should have read Marketmaker instead of moneymaker. You have been one of a select group of dealers and stores I have been following for the last few years.As I rarely am able to get books as HG as you do,the others I track tend to be a little more useful.I hope you take that last sentence as the compliment it was intended to be.

When dealing with these sort of books lately, the gude seems to be almost worthless as everyone seems to be selling for multiples.The first of my points is that there is a big difference between a 9.2 and a 9.4. One is Near mint, the other is not quite NM. When dealing with CGC books above 9.0 for silver books there is a huge difference.

My other point is why overpay today because you feel the item will be worth much more tomorrow. That 700 you overpay today could be used to buy a $700 book that could be worth 2000 when you are ready to sell.Buy cheap and sell dear.One of lifes simplest lessons.

Okay...so if I got this correct I should look at the 9.0 price and not the 9.4 price for the calculation of multiples of guide? As well, when I mentioned that 10 years from now it won't matter if I paid $3500 or $4200 I wasn't asking from an investor point of view...I was just responding to the person who early in this thread suggested to pick it up at any price while the entire economy was slow. As if to mean that he felt the book was undervalued but judging by the other posts most feel that this book has reached it's peak and paying any type of premium for it at this time would be foolish. Thnaks for the input.

Jim

JIm,

most of these guys on here have a crystal ball and no real money to spend on books,if you want the book,pick it up as cheap as you can find it,then hang onto it...com'on who in this world has never heard of spider-man???