• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Ghost - Art you can't find that you want

115 posts in this topic

To follow along the same line as Clem's comment -- pages from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2 - because the Crime Master pin-up was up for auction from Sotheby's many years ago, this means that the book exists and is out there...could you imangine Ditko Spidey AND Dr. Strange...and there are some GREAT GREAT pages in that book...

However, I have heard stories of books where a certain number of pages show up and that's all that anyone knows about or has seen...which could mean that other pages were given away early on and lost forever or are buried deep in collections somewhere. Remember, Marvel would send pages to business clients far as Japan...so as far as we know, there's an entirely different OA sub-culture over there where children of these former high level executives have A+ pages on their wall or buried somewhere amongst other "trash" and aren't aware of what's going on here...

For me, right now, I would really like a nice Watchmen Rorschach page -- and I have plenty to trade as well...and I'm always looking for 60s/70s Kirby...

Well in that case ASM 3 exists because the pin-up from that book did change hands along time ago. I'd love that pin-up for sure. I wonder who has it now? Also page 1 from FF 5 would have been sweet if the top 3rd wasn't recreation.

If ever anyone gets a scan of either, please send one to me.

Clem..

I'm trying to find pages from the epic battle between the Thing and Dr. Doom from FF 40. I have three consecutive pages from that battle. Here are the pages I'd like to find and put together to have the full battle sequence:

ff40page14.jpg

ff40page15a.jpg

ff40page19.jpg

ff40page20.jpg

These pages would cost MAJOR coin if you found them, good luck!

Yes they would, but they'd be worth it. If anybody knows where any of these pages are, I'd appreciate a PM.

Of course my true ghosts are the Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko pre-hero monster covers. But not a single of one of them seems to exist... :(

Of course my true ghosts are the Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko pre-hero monster covers. But not a single of one of them seems to exist... :(

A few of those books re-used artwork from the (interior) splash pages for the covers.

Doc V owns such an example.

A few of those books re-used artwork from the (interior) splash pages for the covers.

Yeah, he's got the Gorgilla splash that apparently was also used for the cover. But the actual cover doesn't exist anywhere (not sure if it was a stat cover or what). The Amazing Adventures 5 is one of the other ones where the splash page was used for the cover, and that art also exists -- again though as a splash, not as a cover. There are only a few.

But it begs the question of what really happened to all those pre-hero era covers. (shrug)

Yeah, he's got the Gorgilla splash that apparently was also used for the cover. But the actual cover doesn't exist anywhere (not sure if it was a stat cover or what). The Amazing Adventures 5 is one of the other ones where the splash page was used for the cover, and that art also exists -- again though as a splash, not as a cover. There are only a few.

But it begs the question of what really happened to all those pre-hero era covers. (shrug)

What really happened to all the pre-hero covers?

Routinely discarded or destroyed, I would imagine.

During the 1950s, when MARVEL was known as ATLAS, there are a small quantity of surviving cover originals. I have a couple in my own collection.

It's a certainty that Doc V's 'Gorgilla' splash page OA made it as a 'mechanical' for the accompanying cover image.

If you owned that OA splash, you'd effectively own the cover art - I would suggest.

With these 'exceptions', I think this is the closest you're likely to have as a 'cover' image . . .

I have been told that Gil Kane was the biggest original art collector of just about anyone and that he probably had most of the early Marvels including AF #15 cover.

I have heard tales that back in the 80s he would have huge stacks of original art at San Diego. Like multiple stacks, that were 2 feet tall. Unfortunately, well before my time. Anyone around back then that could share stories?????

On a related note, I recently talked to a collector in NYC who was buying comics, that had spent 5000.00 with Curt Swan back in the 1970s at 5.00 a page and 25.00 for covers. He said he had something like 28 consecutive splash pages from Superman. Ahh, those were the days....

On a related note, I recently talked to a collector in NYC who was buying comics, that had spent 5000.00 with Curt Swan back in the 1970s at 5.00 a page and 25.00 for covers. He said he had something like 28 consecutive splash pages from Superman. Ahh, those were the days....

I really didn't need to hear that story Dale, man, I love Swan's stuff, I just bought my first Swan page, and to think that a collector was buying them at $5 each and $25 for covers, makes me mental :pullhair:

well, MORE mental than I already am.. ;)

I really didn't need to hear that story Dale, man, I love Swan's stuff, I just bought my first Swan page, and to think that a collector was buying them at $5 each and $25 for covers, makes me mental :pullhair:

well, MORE mental than I already am.. ;)

hm

Nice - I'm glad it went to Garth. All I heard was "wedding present" so I had nightmares of the cover going in the dumpster during someone's divorce proceedings.

The Iron Man #1 was on comicartfans awhile back...I know it changed hands, but have know idea how much for.

Me, these are my current grails (I want them, but would even love just to see them):

Weird Mystery Tales #2 Cover (Titanic Story)...anyone have a scan of the B&W art?

A Briefer Frankenstein Horror page from the 1950s

Weird War Tales #27 Cover by Dominguez

Iron Man #8 Splash (I passed on it when it was online at 1500, it was high priced at the time...)

Green Hornet #1 painting (yes, I am dreaming) or the Dell Four Color 496 painting