• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it keyword spamming to describe my comics as High Grade on Ebay

19 posts in this topic

Key word spamming in my opinion, is to describe an item, using words it IS NOT.

A few examples:

Hulk 152 not 180 181 182 340 400

Hulk 181 NOT CGC NM

Hulk 181 CGC IT!

And other bullsheet like that. I can't see the point really, if someone was looking for a Hulk 181, why would they want to see, let alone buy, a different issue number?????

As for your High Grade in the title, as long as it is, then do it! But if I click on your auctions and it says that 'in my opinion, the comic grades good to Near Mint' then I'll come and kick your ars myself grin.gif

they havent been graded bu cgc or anyone

butI take god care of them and "In my opinion they are high grade"

Other than calling them high grade what word would you use

It's not keyword spamming to call them high grade, but you do need to grade them (NM, VF/NM, NM+, etc.,.)

A few examples:

Hulk 181 NOT CGC NM

Hulk 181 CGC IT!

As for your High Grade in the title, as long as it is, then do it! But if I click on your auctions and it says that 'in my opinion, the comic grades good to Near Mint' then I'll come and kick your ars myself grin.gif

What he said.

IMNSHO:

"High Grade" is usually one of those worthless buzz phrases doesn't tell you very much. My own biased scale of Low, Mid, and High grade is:

Low Grade: Less than 4.0

Mid Grade: 4.0 to 8.0

High Grade: Greater than 8.0

When I see an auction describe a book as high grade, then I click on it and find out it's really a 6.0 (FN), it actually ticks me off a little bit.

So, if its raw and you think its VF or better, sure, go ahead and say high grade in your title. But if you think its less than VF, just list it, list any hidden defects, and let a good resolution scan speak for itself. smile.gif

A few examples:

Hulk 181 NOT CGC NM

Hulk 181 CGC IT!

What he said.

IMNSHO:

"High Grade" is usually one of those worthless buzz phrases doesn't tell you very much. My own biased scale of Low, Mid, and High grade is:

When I see an auction describe a book as high grade, then I click on it and find out it's really a 6.0 (FN), it actually ticks me off a little bit.

So, if its raw and you think its VF or better, sure, go ahead and say high grade in your title. But if you think its less than VF, just list it, list any hidden defects, and let a good resolution scan speak for itself. smile.gif

Well most of my stuff is better than very fine so I will keep what you say in mind

You must know a enough to grade comics ARES, you have twice the amount of posts on these boards to what I have!

Stick to basics, example:

Hulk 181 VF/NM Off white pages

Or even just:

Hulk 181 VF

I always grade conservatively with my raw comics, it really bugs me when I buy from someone and they call it a NM when its actually a FN. If I have a doubt about the grade (ie Im not sure between a FN or a FN+), then I always make it the lower of the two, this makes the people happy with what they get, and hopefully if you have more to sell, they'll be back.

I have several people in my feedback who say my books were graded well, and often say undergraded, even the 2 (only 2) that I have deemed to call NM+ (9.6), the buyers were always happy.

If you have time on your hands, give about 10 of the issues a grade. send 3 various issue from that 10 to CGC, see how different they come! If your close (within 0.5) then your pretty good, but if you do what most of us done originally, then you may be in for a shock shocked.gif

Or, scan a few fronts and back then post them here!

K

What he said.

IMNSHO:

Agree with all of this... but would go one step further... if you have a book in FN-VF, I think it's a good idea to list it as "Mid-grade" in the title... same goes for a low-grade book... it's just a courtesy to prospective buyers... and let's face it, someone interested in a high grade book is not going to be any more interested in your mid-grade book just 'cause they looked at it because it didn't specify in your header...

Agree with all of this... but would go one step further... if you have a book in FN-VF, I think it's a good idea to list it as "Mid-grade" in the title...

I'll raise you one...don't list it as "mid-grade", list it as "F/VF"!! With the exception of a few scarce Golden Age books I'm looking for, I don't even bother to look at auctions listed without grades in the titles...

You must know a enough to grade comics ARES, you have twice the amount of posts on these boards to what I have!

Stick to basics, example:

Hulk 181 VF/NM Off white pages

Or even just:

Hulk 181 VF

I always grade conservatively with my raw comics, it really bugs me when I buy from someone and they call it a NM when its actually a FN. If I have a doubt about the grade (ie Im not sure between a FN or a FN+), then I always make it the lower of the two, this makes the people happy with what they get, and hopefully if you have more to sell, they'll be back.

I have several people in my feedback who say my books were graded well, and often say undergraded, even the 2 (only 2) that I have deemed to call NM+ (9.6), the buyers were always happy.

If you have time on your hands, give about 10 of the issues a grade. send 3 various issue from that 10 to CGC, see how different they come! If your close (within 0.5) then your pretty good, but if you do what most of us done originally, then you may be in for a shock shocked.gif

Or, scan a few fronts and back then post them here!

K

I like that idea!!!

I agree that VF or better can be fairly called "High Grade". A FN/VF is pushing it, but I wouldn't blame a seller for crossing this line, because it isn't a major offense. The goal is just to get more people to look at your auction, so it's not like you are ripping people off, just perhaps wasting 5 - 10 seconds of their time. So while keyword spamming is a minor offense and I don't approve of it, there are certainly worse crimes.

One consideration if that you have a deceptive auction title, then that says something about your character as a seller and may hurt the bids you receive. If I'm bidding for something and the seller seems rude or deceptive in his listing, it certainly affects how much I bid for the item. It just changes the risk/reward equation for me and I bid less than I would otherwise in many cases.

Agree with all of this... but would go one step further... if you have a book in FN-VF, I think it's a good idea to list it as "Mid-grade" in the title...

I'll raise you one...don't list it as "mid-grade", list it as "F/VF"!! With the exception of a few scarce Golden Age books I'm looking for, I don't even bother to look at auctions listed without grades in the titles...

What banner said!

Offer a grade to the best of your ability, and a nice large scan.