• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Print run on Sandman #50 Black cover

21 posts in this topic

At the Chicago Con in, I think, 1994, I went to a Vertigo panel and when it was over they passed out a copy of Sandman #50 with a solid black cover. Other than that I believe it was exactly the same as the regular Sandman #50. Does anyone know if this was done at other cons as well, how many copies of this book there are out there, etc? I haven't run into any others. They didn't announce that the book was going to given away after the panel so it was a bit of a suprise. It was also odd that Gaiman was the Guest of Honor at that con and they gave away the book after a panel he didn't even speak on confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyway, what's the deal with this thing?

It's interesting, i'm a Sandman fan and 3 years ago i saw this gorgeous book (the cover is truly beautiful) standing at a store in Paris and they were just asking 6$ for it.

Since arabian nights it's one of my fav. storys i pick it up without hesitating. Indeed is a gorgeous book to behold, and this one was the only copie i ever saw...i think it's rather rare to come up.

Regards, Pedro.

Yeah, I haven't seen any other copies. It is a way cool book. The cover is solid black with a gold Sandman logo right in the center, with some silver stars running left to right, top to bottom. The if you hold the book at an angle to the light you can see a black 50 in the center of the book, printed in a slightly gloss black. Cool. I'll try to post a pic of this on Monday.

Yeah, I haven't seen any other copies. It is a way cool book. The cover is solid black with a gold Sandman logo right in the center, with some silver stars running left to right, top to bottom. The if you hold the book at an angle to the light you can see a black 50 in the center of the book, printed in a slightly gloss black. Cool. I'll try to post a pic of this on Monday.

If this is the 'solid black' version we are talking about here, I think that it's known as the 'Platinum' version of #50 (and that's the keyword to use on ebay). I don't think that it's that rare though, because it only trades for around $10 on ebay. I sold the platinum and the limited (if 5000 copies can be termed as limited) signed version of 50 for an additional $20 in the last Sandman lot I sold.

I've had this one since shortly after Sandman 50 came out. It didn't photo very well but it's got "50" in the center of the cover in glossy ink while the rest is kind of matte black.

I don't think it was too spendy at the time, maybe 10 - 15 bucks. Is this what you're talking about?

dave h

sandman50spec.jpg