• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Goldenagecomics

11 posts in this topic

His grading is old school. I bought from him about 7 years ago. I remember buying a JIM #92 from him that he graded a VF/NM. When I got it in, I think it was a VF- or something. I asked for a partial refund which he refused. I'm not sure if he was willing to give me a full refund or not.

Well -- thanks guys! that's the info i needed... guess I will just have to continue the search!

Brian, as a high grade Silver/Bronze-to-Gold convertee, here are some of my thoughts/insights on what I've found:

- Restoration on GA books is fairly commonplace, so I'd stick with certified books if you are looking to avoid resto. In my experience, detecting resto on GA books is generally tougher (assuming it was well done) then on Bronze/Silver, so unless you have a keen eye, I'd buy raw books with an understanding that there is a risk involved. On a positive note, a small tear seal or minor CT isn't going to kill the value of an otherwise sharp and presentable GA book like it would with BA or SA.

- If you are going to buy high grade raw GA books from an online dealer, the Heritage archives are your friend. Chances are good the book was previously slabbed (and likely, at a lower grade then is now being advertised). Just today I stumbled upon a couple of raw books on a dealer's site that in a previous life, were slabbed with lower grades. Are they still worth buying? Sure, of course. But its good to know what CGC had to say about the book when it was originally slabbed. Might save you the time and expense of returning the book if you feel the price doesn't justify the grade once in hand.

- Another reason I stick to certified books: I've found GA dealers to be a real mixed bag when it comes to issues of restoration disclosure. Some will disclose upfront, some will disclose if asked, some will feign surprise if restoration is detected (and perhaps price accordingly), and some will blatantly try to pass off a book they know has had work as unrestored. You can take your chances, you can build relationships with solid dealers (like Richard Evans) who will treat you right, or you can stick to certified books.

- Being a high grade GA collector is a lot different then being a high grade SA/BA collector. Money isn't the # 1 attribute neccessary to obtaining your goals. Patience is. (though money doesn't hurt). When you plan on putting together runs or mini-runs, always think in years, not months. A guy with $500k can put together an ultra high grade run of FFs in a few weeks, possibly months. If he wanted to pursue a high grade run of Detectives, the same can't be said. From your first purchase, I can see you're not entirely focused on high grade GA, which makes you a lot smarter man than me! (thumbs u

- Networking with private collectors will probably lead to your best purchases. The GA crowd, in my limited experience, is a much different breed then what I'm used to in the HG Silver/Bronze group. Much more "pure" collectors then SA/BA folks.

You may get a great book offered to you at barely above cost, just because. Can't beat that.

Hope that helps in any small way. (thumbs u

I would throw Jim Payette's name out there though as a trustworthy raw GA dealer.

(thumbs u

Double (thumbs u (thumbs u

from me.

Mr. Payette is one of the best, bar none.