• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody see one of these before? (Kraven's Last Hunt)

12 posts in this topic

I bought this probably 15 or more years ago...I was told it was a re-coloring piece for the Kraven's Last Hunt tpb. Size is appx 7-1/2" x 10". It's on an appx 1/8" board.

The board is colored artwork with an acetate overlay. I've made 3 scans; first one is the complete piece, 2nd is just the "colored board", and the third is the acetate on white paper.

I bought this at one of the old Jubilee shows in Silver Spring, MD. The guy that was selling them had tons. Each a different page from the issues.

SpideyPage1.jpg

SpideyPage3.jpg

SpideyPage2.jpg

I bought this at one of the old Jubilee shows in Silver Spring, MD.

Sorry to change the subject for a sec...

I used to do the Jubilee shows in the early-mid '90's.Whatever happened to the lady Gail (Leona Helmsley's twin sister!) that used to run those? Man she was a beast!

No clue. I was just a youngster then (14-17), so I never made a point of talking to con organizers like I do now. I don't even remember any of the dealers that were at those shows. :(

Those were actually really good shows for a local con (when they were held at Armory Place). I remember when Marshall Rogers and Ron Frenz were there at the same show. Both just great guys.

Nice piece.

I have some original art very similar to yours (only larger, not the size you mention).

Basically I think what you have is the original coloring for this issue. The board was done in watercolor, and the acetate overlay is copied from the original pencil/ink work by the artist and the acetate was used as a guide for the colorist.

Most of the time the coloring isn't done with watercolor so it's really a nice piece. Too bad you don't have the original artwork to this page as well so you'd have a real nice set of publishing art in all it's phases.

Thanks for the input. So, it's really an "extremely high quality" color guide (for lack of a better term. I own some color guides and have seen plenty in the past. I've never seen them done like this though.

So, do you think it's actually from the issue or, as I said in my initial post, a "recoloring guide" for a HC or TPB collection?

Too bad you don't have the original artwork to this page as well so you'd have a real nice set of publishing art in all it's phases.

Yeah, that's a bummer. My bank account wishes I owned that page as well. :D

Always feel free to ask me questions about Zeck art...

As far as the history of the piece. It is what they call a blueline. For a short time in the late 80's/early 90's, this was the preferred way of coloring art. Books like Dark Knight were colored the same way.

A copy of the B&W art was made in blue ink. The painter would hand-paint directly on top of the blueline and then an acetate overlay with the B&W art was placed on top of the painted art to complete the image. The art was then shot for production. This process created more vibrant colors before the days of computer colorization.

You are correct, the art you have was done for the Kraven hardcover which reprinted the six issue mini-series. Each page was re-painted for this edition.

I believe the coloring chores were split between Phil Zimelman (Mike's collaborator on the Punisher mini-series covers) and Ian Tetrault (who colored the Deathstroke and Vigilante posters for DC Comics). Zeck may have leant a hand himself as well.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a similar page, I have a few for sale (and some just on display) on my Comicartfans site.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2791

Jim Warden (D.O.A.) was the gentleman who sold them to you. He was (and still is) Mike's agent. He used to set up at local shows and would get allof Mike's art returns. Now, he only sets up at Baltimore (which is coming up in a few weeks) and he represents a larger pool of artists (including John Byrne and Matt Wagner).

I was a regular at those Jubilee shows as well. No one has heard from Gayle or Jubilee for a long time. Capital Associates took over the local conventions about 15 years ago. Prior to that there was a little bit of a rivalry between the Jubilee shows and the Serendipity shows. I think those were some of the best local shows in the country - there was always a great guest and plenty of comic dealers. I wouldn't be the collector I am today without those shows.

Yes you are right, it is called Blueline (or Bluline), I didn't remember it's technical name. I didn't explain the process accurately either sorry about that.

It's a very nice piece of art, and maybe you could track down the original art. It would make a nice little collection if you had all these pieces.

How much were these "blueline" pieces going for?

I was hoping you'd stop in this thread (kinda the reason I put KLH in my title) to shed some light on it.

It's really a cool piece, and vastly superior quality-wise to standard color guides. My scan of the 'color only' board does not do it any justice. It looks far better in hand.

How much were these "blueline" pieces going for?

It's been a long time since I bought it, but it was back in the days when $30 was the most I'd ever spent on a book. I'm pretty sure I paid $25 for it. I think he was selling them for $15-25/page depending on what page it was.

I'd estimate today that interior pages should go for $25-100/each today depending on the content.

Unfortunately (for those looking), the B&W art to the original series is still complete (aside from some specialty pieces created for the hard cover). Therefore, if you want a page from this series, you should try to find one of these color bluelines to add to your collection. Even these don't pop up too often.

I'd estimate today that interior pages should go for $25-100/each today depending on the content.

Sweet! I'd guess mine is on the higher side then (although it's not actually "spidey" on the page, but Kraven in a Spidey suit).

Not that I planned on selling it. It's actually the very first piece of production art I bought.