• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman or Detective Comics

111 posts in this topic

Yup,

I would pick up all Adams HG of both Batman and Tecs

Hey Doc, :hi:

I would pick up some keys of each title and like our wise friend Nik

has said possibly all or most of the Adams books and after purchasing

and reading a few then make your decision.

I don't think you can go wrong with either title and an awesome

character. (thumbs u

Doc, a couple of questions:

How far back do you want to go? A complete run or a structured begining and end? What grade ranges are you looking to be buying? Is this going to be long term thing or short term?

I think I like Dale's idea of Batman #100 - 400 being a nice run or Detective #225 - 500 being be a nice run. I do like GA stuff as well, though. Batman would be the most obvious for a complete run, IMO. The grade range would depend on the age. If we are talking GA then somewhere between 5 & 6 with the grade increasing as you move forward in the run. Also, on the GA books, I may consider restored books as well since they can be a little more affordable in the higher grades and a little more visually appealing. However, you can have a lower grade book that is visually appealing if you have the right defects. LONG TERM, definitely. :)

Hello Fay,

You're up late. :hi:

Hello Back,

I work shift work and got the night off and want to stay up late to stay

sleep adjusted for tomorrow's shift. Does that even make sense. (shrug)

Completely. :)

You should collect Doom Patrol :insane:
The Doom Patrol collectors, um sorry collector because only Sal collects the title, will be :naughty: at you

lol He's the first person I thought of when I read that post!

Doc, a couple of questions:

How far back do you want to go? A complete run or a structured begining and end? What grade ranges are you looking to be buying? Is this going to be long term thing or short term?

I think I like Dale's idea of Batman #100 - 400 being a nice run or Detective #225 - 500 being be a nice run. I do like GA stuff as well, though. Batman would be the most obvious for a complete run, IMO. The grade range would depend on the age. If we are talking GA then somewhere between 5 & 6 with the grade increasing as you move forward in the run. Also, on the GA books, I may consider restored books as well since they can be a little more affordable in the higher grades and a little more visually appealing. However, you can have a lower grade book that is visually appealing if you have the right defects. LONG TERM, definitely. :)

that is a good plan...I can tell you, that if you are looking for 5's (vg/fn) you can complete GA a lot easier than 6 (fn or better)....especially if you are talking Batman from 100 up, or Tec from 225 up...they are readily available in g/vg, but Fn and up, until the mid 60's? forget it, will take you far longer than will make the search "fun"...

you have to set a realistic time frame/goal, otherwise, collecting a run or title can get too frustrating, and compromise often gets in the way....

Batman 1-20 is easy, if you are not grade conscious, but they are some neat books to own!...

Tec 27-37 is down right HARD, irregardless of grade, but can be accomplished and is tremendous fun, and is likely a run I won't ever want to part with...38-53 is easy, but those long ear logo tecs are the bomb!

Spiderman is great character, and many will argue the most popular character today, but too readily available (as arex said, at least some of the fun is the hunt, and there is no challenge in spiderman, unless you restrict yourself to 9.4 and higher, and I don't collect high grade, so that does not appeal to me)

my 2 cents worth

rick

Spiderman is great character, and many will argue the most popular character today, but too readily available (as arex said, at least some of the fun is the hunt, and there is no challenge in spiderman, unless you restrict yourself to 9.4 and higher, and I don't collect high grade, so that does not appeal to me)

my 2 cents worth

rick

I disagree. I've been building my high grade Amazing run (including annuals and every variant) for over 15 years and while most of the books are available, they don't come cheap which in turn makes it hard.

my 2 cents worth

rick

I disagree. I've been building my high grade Amazing run (including annuals and every variant) for over 15 years and while most of the books are available, they don't come cheap which in turn makes it hard.

true, they can get pricey, but no more pricey than buying a nice tec 35...so, I didn't factor in money, but I factored in availability....money aside, I can put a high grade run of Amazing, from 1-100 in a very, very short time (just watch heritage or clink or metro, etc, and you can find virtually every copy you could want in 8.0 or better...I am defininng high grade as VF or better)...that said, try to put a mid range set of Batman 1-100 together, and I can tell you, it has taken me almost 2 years to do (and money is no object in my search), but availability has been the restricting factor...and tec 27-103...I would be happy to find restored copies of a few of them, they just don't come up for sale that often, if at all!

I don't disagree with you or your pursuit, simply pointing out my frame of reference... I applaud anyone that sets a goal, and tries to accomplish that goal!

gator

so, I didn't factor in money, but I factored in availability....money aside, I can put a high grade run of Amazing, from 1-100 in a very, very short time

True. Spidey is one of the easiest sets to put together. So many collectors try the Spidey run, so there seems to be a never-ending supply of ASM's.

About a month ago, I PM'd with Vinny (Metro) after I had bought an ASM #26 from them. That book was my last "big purchase" (over $100) for awhile due to some recent life-changing news. I told him that I'd be collecting soon enough, but wasn't worried about missing the boat as Spidey's always seem to be available.

As you note, not the case with Tec's (especially the Pre-Robin books). Some of them just don't show up near as often. When they do, you've got to pounce or wait another few years.

I too think Dale's idea (HG Adam's run) is a good one. It'll keep you busy for awhile and you'll have an awesome collection of books and titles.

I too think Dale's idea (HG Adam's run) is a good one. It'll keep you busy for awhile and you'll have an awesome collection of books and titles.

If I wasn't hip deep in my GL hunt, this would be what I would be working on. I might work on it here and there anyway.

Arex

If I wasn't hip deep in my GL hunt, this would be what I would be working on. I might work on it here and there anyway.

Arex

Focus, grashopper!

Really difficult to say which one to start collecting. I'm a big BATMAN fan/collector. DETECTIVE COMICS is the longest running comic. That would be a huge challange to complete. Especially getting the early issues and a lot of the key issues. Pretty expensive unless ya got the $$$. I don't suggest DET, it will probably take all your life to complete. Plus throughout all the issues the Batman style changes. You get the early serious stories, then later issues you get the wierd Batman & Robin fighting monsters stuff, then the campy "new-look" stories, then the stories that are more like mysteries, then the newer stuff of today. BATMAN COMICS is very much the same except a lot shorter run. If your going to start collecting either of these series, I suggest doing it in groups of 100 issues. Say start at #300 and work your way up. You may not like the styles of stories from some years so then ya can bail out if ya do like um. Either series is good to collect, its just how far back do you want to go, and are you just getting them "just to collect" or do you want them for the stories to read. But that then brings up a lot of psychological issues about collecting that can be talked about in another thread. Which ever one you choose or if you even decide on a different series. Good luck from MC.

You should collect Doom Patrol :insane:
The Doom Patrol collectors, um sorry collector because only Sal collects the title, will be :naughty: at you

jeez, i wish i was the only collector of the DP. it would make the prices come down to a more reasonable level.

that being said, the title sucks and i would tell anyone who bothers to read this to stay not just away but far away. you would not believe how corny the thing is. best to stick with something pretty rare and esoteric like Neal Adams or slabbed Modern X-books

Arex

I would say start with the HG Adams run if you are getting into DCs. Outside of GA or SA keys these will be the best books to have in any of the titles over the long run due to Neal's popularity. You will also find that a lot of them are harder to come by in 9.4 than you think (e.g. Tec #405, Bats #227, GL #76, Tomahawks, etc.).

In addition, since all you see is the cover on a slab you will be getting the best that the late 60s and early 70s had to offer. My goal is to one day have a wall of slabs in the basement with 9.4 or better copies of all of the Adams Bats and Tecs........plus a few other grails that I will hopefully have the funds for!

Doom Patrol is pretty inexpensive for a Silver/Bronze title in HG :shrug:

hm

do you mean by guide value, or market value?

doesn't mean i'm ready to drop eight or nine hundred bux on an early-in-the-run 9.6 copy, provided i can even find one