• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abundance of SSOC and Eeries from the 70's

7 posts in this topic

Marvel SSOC, Warren Eerie magazines

I like the covers of these mags and am considering collecting the runs, but I seem to recall one (or both?) of these are warehouse finds where there may be more available than will ever be consumed. It's probably been discussed here before, but does anyone have any comments (and numbers) as to what issues are readily available in high grade and what should one be paying per issue? I'm reluctant to follow the price guide. Is some BSD sitting on thousands of copies of some of these books?

From an earlier thread...

Warrens in General.

The back issue bins at Warren contained roughly 1000-5000 of each issue (those that didnt sell out), at the time of the Warren Bankruptcy. He (Doug Sulipa) then stated that the amount per issue trended to higher volumes for the earlier issues and smaller volumes for the later issues, meaning you were likely to find 5000 issues of Creepy 10 and 1000 copies of creepy 100 due to lower print runs in the later issues.

As far as SSOC Conan goes, huge runs and none should be expensive unless you are label chasing.

The above is most likely correct, all the copies are pretty easy to come by with a few exceptions like Vampreilla 3. Other than Vampirella #1 demand and supply are in pretty good equilibrium considering how many copies are avaialble. Creepy and Eerie in raw high grade VF-VFNM tend to hit the $10-$15 mark and Vampirellas tend to hit $20 each after about issue 20. The early Vampirellas don't seem to be as common as the Eeries and Creepy's. Lower grades can be had for $3 each especially when bought in lots. Ubber high grades NM- or better can command decent money but usually have to be CGC'd.

Since the covers are so incredible, its only the supply that has kept prices down. As long as horror remains hot, these mags are a great way to go if you still want high grade.

I wouldn't confuse the high supply with examples where one specific comic from the 70's was found with 1000's of copies. Pretty much all were warehoused by Warren.

SSOC seems to be pretty abundant as well. No crazy values here either but the covers are incredible.

Besides Frazetta, some covers are just better than others and typically go for more. Case in point: The first issue below is a good cover and all, but the one below it is just freaknasty. If that were a HOM comic cover, I can't imagine where it would rank. Overall though, no real first appearances or significant events, just great art/stories and even better covers.

scan0194.jpg

scan0199.jpg

Besides Frazetta, some covers are just better than others and typically go for more. Case in point: The first issue below is a good cover and all, but the one below it is just freaknasty. If that were a HOM comic cover, I can't imagine where it would rank. Overall though, no real first appearances or significant events, just great art/stories and even better covers.

scan0194.jpg

scan0199.jpg

Eerie 17 was never "warehoused" and IMO is the quite rare compared to the rest of the run. Also, the lates issues of SSOC are tough to come by and prices are going up on these. I do believe there was a spike in these in either the last overstreet, or the one that came out a couple years ago.