• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuation of nearly complete Marvel '62-'69

20 posts in this topic

I know this is a hard question, but how would everyone ballpark value this:

Nearly complete collection of Marvel '62 - '69 with all the superhero titles and also about 20 Atlas pre-hero issues. This is a personal collection with some of the earlier issues in poor to good condition and then improving to good to very good (as owner got older and wiser).

Nice ones in there including FF # 5, 6,7, 8,12, and 13 in very good to fine condition, etc etc.

The following issues missing:

Hulk # 1

FF # 2, 3

ToS # 39

Sgt. Fury # 1

I know this is a hard question, but how would everyone ballpark value this:

Nearly complete collection of Marvel '62 - '69 with all the superhero titles and also about 20 Atlas pre-hero issues. This is a personal collection with some of the earlier issues in poor to good condition and then improving to good to very good (as owner got older and wiser).

Nice ones in there including FF # 5, 6,7, 8,12, and 13 in very good to fine condition, etc etc.

The following issues missing:

Hulk # 1

FF # 2, 3

ToS # 39

Sgt. Fury # 1

Are you pricing the entire collection i guess? Pricing it for yourself or for the possibility of flipping?

The keys will sell in any grade, albeit at a % of OS. the non-keys in low-mid grade will sell at an even lower % of OS.

If you are looking to flip, be carefull not to:

a)overgrade the keys

b)overvalue the non-keys.

Arex

Do not use guide for mid and late 60's. You might be able to sell them for 50% guide which means buying them for 25% guide is about right. If they are VG's or less use $1-2 each and the Spidey's and X-men use $4-6 each. For the early 60's issues in VG use about $5-10 each for non keys and $10-20 for the Spidey's. This should cover 90% of the collection and the key's you can focus your time and attention on.

if by "nearly complete" you mean literally every marvel title from 62 thru 69, and you're actually talking about G/VG to VG+ books, i'd say about 6 thousand bux, plus FF1 and AF 15 which are special case issues. that's about 1400 books or so, give or take a couple hundred by my rough calculation

Do not use guide for mid and late 60's. You might be able to sell them for 50% guide which means buying them for 25% guide is about right. If they are VG's or less use $1-2 each and the Spidey's and X-men use $4-6 each. For the early 60's issues in VG use about $5-10 each for non keys and $10-20 for the Spidey's. This should cover 90% of the collection and the key's you can focus your time and attention on.

This is where I was going with my valuation too.

Let me clarify some.

I am the prospective buyer.

The seller wants to sell all of the books in one lot. He will not break it up. Or so he says.

All of the current information I have is in my original post.

Just doing some rough guessing there would be 1,000 - 1,500 low grade books there. If you are the only potential buyer and the AF #15 and ASM #1 is there I would offer him $5,000 - $7,500 (~$5 per book) to start with and see what the response is.

Remember, if you are buying the collection to flip it the only real value is the early SA books and key issues. Anything after 1965 in low grade will sell for a pittance or take more time than it is worth to move. Consider these as throw ins on the deal.

What really makes it tough is when there are a variety of high grade issues in the non key mix. Its still better to be conservative in the offer but the VF's and better can really have a lot of value even in the later 60's issues. Then if you are at 6k and he says 10k it really takes some time to ensure there are enough VF and better to make up that delta.

Good luck with the purchase. It'll be work if you get the whole thing but its kind of fun too, no?

Ed

New information, just in off the wire:

"I have heard from 2 other vendors. I am respectful of your time, as I know you are of mine. Since you have to understandable make a profit, you probably can only look to pay 30 to 50% of Overstreet for a collection is in basically good to very good condition (with many more VG+, than say poor). I would not part with the collection for less than $25,000. What do you think?"

Well board members, what do you think now?

Thanks for your input too!!

Check out the very best,ie...not only keys and very early FF's,...but the very marketable(liquid ones) * after they are slabbed,of course,and put those aside....Then go check "completed" auctions in ebay,but more importantly ...go to PEDIGREE.com and check their stuff out!..They tend to get astronomical prices for those types,especially in better cond.Also,check the census on some of them.....a few could be really low for one reason or the other....just my two cents!....BH...

New information, just in off the wire:

"I have heard from 2 other vendors. I am respectful of your time, as I know you are of mine. Since you have to understandable make a profit, you probably can only look to pay 30 to 50% of Overstreet for a collection is in basically good to very good condition (with many more VG+, than say poor). I would not part with the collection for less than $25,000. What do you think?"

Well board members, what do you think now?

Thanks for your input too!!

This is what usually happens. Collectors overvalue their collections and think selling it for 50% of their over inflated grades is going to be a great deal for the buyer.

You can pay at least 12 - 15K for this collection. 25K is too much almost for sure. Get him under 15K and there is a shot you'll get it for a decent price.

The AF #15 and ASM run alone are worth 7K.

Start the bidding at 10k!

Now that you know there are other bidders starting at $10K seems reasonable. He is dreaming at $25,000, but he is starting high as well. If someone else bites at $25,000 don't worry - post 1965 common Marvels don't sell for much more in VG+ than they do in GD/VG.

Tupenny,

Ask the collector to sell the SA keys he has hiding in his safety deposit box. They are more liquid than paying $10k cash for boxes of vg-fn SA Marvels that Dolgoff would retail in $5 and $10 long boxes.

Update for all of those interested: the seller will not be able to show me the books until next week. Once I see them or have more info, I'll do my best to share with the boards for two reasons 1) its been fun and 2) its been helpful.

Thanks!