• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another frustrating auction

30 posts in this topic

hm ... I hate ebay scammers. That's why I joined "Scam Busters On The 'Bay" you can join if you want.

This guy isn't a scammer.

He just doesn't know how to host his own scans with photobucket.

From what I can see GVG(3.0) seems about right.

Agreed, he's not a scammer. He obviously owns the book with all those pictures, and I think he does a good job of describing the comic. The annoying thing is he put a reserve on it that is somewhere around the value of the book (at least), so you couldn't get a good price on it! That is frustrating...been through that a few times--bidding on an item, only to find out that the reserve is above what you should reasonably pay.

EXACTLY!

Assuming the book is a 3.0 ( again, the pictures are ok, but in no way will I ever be able to detect color touch, or any other form of resto ) it is already bid to what 3.0's have been going for and it still has not met the reserve. Dont know anything about comics you say...

Artboy99

Yeah, it sure would be a shame if he got Fair Market Value for the book . . . hm

:baiting:lol

Yep.

That comment about being "annoyed" at having to pay the value of the book...that definitely don't go in the 'smart pile.'

And there are plenty of books out there that would be considered a "good price" if purchased at the current value. (thumbs u

Rick

Well she as much said she talked to a "comic guy" and decided to test the waters herself (which probably means she wants way over guide for it) And she obviously knows Ebay, but not comics based on how she shot the book.

I sure would ask to see some better photos before bidding though because the lower spine area of the interior bc just looks weird.

Hard to really tell though based on the photos supplied.

Ze-

japan paper?

(shrug)

Yep.

That comment about being "annoyed" at having to pay the value of the book...that definitely don't go in the 'smart pile.'

And there are plenty of books out there that would be considered a "good price" if purchased at the current value. (thumbs u

Rick

It's annoying for two reasons.

First, when I go to ebay I'm not looking to pay value on a book, I'm looking to get a deal. If I want to pay value I'll go to one of the countless e-stores around, or a convention, and skip the drama.

Second, ebay is supposed to be an auction site where the market determines the price, but when you put a high reserve on an item you're kind of yanking everyone's chain. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it's annoying. :pullhair:

If you see a reserve, just ignore the auction and move on to the next one. If you see a reserve price on a high grade book you can assume it is higher than you are willing to pay. You could also send the seller a message asking for what the reserve is, sometimes they'll tell you.

If you see a reserve, just ignore the auction and move on to the next one. If you see a reserve price on a high grade book you can assume it is higher than you are willing to pay. You could also send the seller a message asking for what the reserve is, sometimes they'll tell you.

Good points!

Yep.

Rick

First, when I go to ebay I'm not looking to pay value on a book, I'm looking to get a deal. If I want to pay value I'll go to one of the countless e-stores around, or a convention, and skip the drama.

Second, ebay is supposed to be an auction site where the market determines the price, but when you put a high reserve on an item you're kind of yanking everyone's chain. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it's annoying. :pullhair:

I don't know what e-stores you're looking at but my experience is listed prices, especially for hi-grade books are astronomical...many times double guide and up...so high in fact I wonder what the point is and how they ever sell any books...not dissimilar to sites like Metropolis (and to a certain degree ComicLink and Pedigree) whereby the listed price is usually 10-25% above guide so that if you get lucky and someone really wants the book you make out, or you counteroffer/negotiate down to guide and still make out and (presumably) the buyer feels like he made a better deal...

You can expect "deals" on just about all non-key raw books and certainly everything in mid-grade...but I just about always expect to pay near of full guide for keys and hi-grade popular books such as ASM Silver Age...but the inherent risk for raw books is will you agree with the grade when the book gets into your hands (and of course there's always the risk of resto)...

If I were to go after this book, I'd ask for guaranteed satisfaction...and maybe even go so far as to say I'm sending into CGC and if it comes back no resto and within a half-grade (so in this case 2.5) the deal is made (or Seller agrees to refund back the negotiated differential)...complicated I know but if you're gonna shell out $1500+ Sellers have to expect this type of position as there are too many variables that the Seller (again, in this case) can't reasonably guarantee... 2c

And I thought for this type of auction (sister died...found book in a box...) was about the best presented of this type that I can recall...clearly does not appear to be a scam...

Final thoughts, I always tell the reserve (although I rarely post a reserve) if someone emails me and I forgot to check but if they will take Paypal that should seal the deal...

hm ... I hate ebay scammers. That's why I joined "Scam Busters On The 'Bay" you can join if you want.

This guy isn't a scammer.

He just doesn't know how to host his own scans with photobucket.

From what I can see GVG(3.0) seems about right.

Agreed, he's not a scammer. He obviously owns the book with all those pictures, and I think he does a good job of describing the comic. The annoying thing is he put a reserve on it that is somewhere around the value of the book (at least), so you couldn't get a good price on it! That is frustrating...been through that a few times--bidding on an item, only to find out that the reserve is above what you should reasonably pay.

EXACTLY!

Assuming the book is a 3.0 ( again, the pictures are ok, but in no way will I ever be able to detect color touch, or any other form of resto ) it is already bid to what 3.0's have been going for and it still has not met the reserve. Dont know anything about comics you say...

Artboy99

Yeah, it sure would be a shame if he got Fair Market Value for the book . . . hm

:baiting:lol

I have no problem paying fair market value on a key book, but can this seller who has no knowledge of comic books guarantee the condition and that it has no restoration? No? I didnt think so either...so to that end why has he set the reserve to guide? That is why this auction is frustrating.

I think what I learn from this is that I am not going to get my Hulk number 1 off Ebay. I just have no guarantees I am getting the book I am spending the money on regardless of the feedback. If I am going to be forced to pay Guide pricing I am only going to buy this book from the board here, or from trusted sellers in CGC.

Yep.

Rick

I don't know what e-stores you're looking at but my experience is listed prices, especially for hi-grade books are astronomical...many times double guide and up...so high in fact I wonder what the point is and how they ever sell any books...not dissimilar to sites like Metropolis (and to a certain degree ComicLink and Pedigree) whereby the listed price is usually 10-25% above guide so that if you get lucky and someone really wants the book you make out, or you counteroffer/negotiate down to guide and still make out and (presumably) the buyer feels like he made a better deal...

Yeah, I should have said if I want to pay top dollar. (thumbs u