• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most important issue from the year 1980?

136 posts in this topic

Fun question. I'd love to see everybody's nominations but off the top of my head I'd have to say New Teen Titans #1 which was a huge success for DC and kind of got them back in the game. Price-wise it was a big hit, going from 50 cents to $15 a few years later.

The story was that Fanfare Comics and Cards speculated on 1000 copies and very quickly was able to sell them for $10 each, which financed them opening their first store. Fanfare is now a big original art dealer and still in business in Kalamazoo.

Marc

X-Men 137 by far.

Most often submitted to CGC for 1980...

1980 - X-Men 137 - 1,339 submissions

1980 - Amazing Spider-Man 200 - 999 submissions

1980 - X-Men 140 - 946 submissions

1980 - X-Men 138 - 686 submissions

1980 - X-Men 129 - 684 submissions

(Top submissions for D.C., 15th, 16th, and 18th overall)

1980 - New Teen Titans 2 - 395 submissions

1980 - New Teen Titans 1 - 264 submissions

1980 - DC Comics Presents 26 - 221 submissions

X-Men 137 by far.

Most often submitted to CGC for 1980...

1980 - X-Men 137 - 1,339 submissions

1980 - Amazing Spider-Man 200 - 999 submissions

1980 - X-Men 140 - 946 submissions

1980 - X-Men 138 - 686 submissions

1980 - X-Men 129 - 684 submissions

(Top submissions for D.C., 15th, 16th, and 18th overall)

1980 - New Teen Titans 2 - 395 submissions

1980 - New Teen Titans 1 - 264 submissions

1980 - DC Comics Presents 26 - 221 submissions

Of those listed, the Big Kahuna of 1980 would be X-Men 129 according to the guide at $60. X-Men 130 also could have some significance as the first Dazzler appearance with the same guide as X-Men 137 at $45. DC Comics Presents 26 comes in at $40. It seems that there should be a more expensive 1980 book out there though. hm

Was there a single book that marked the beginning of the Silver & Bronze ages or was it a slew of books? Some of this discussion was touched on in the Copper Age Keys thread. I've always assumed it was a bunch of comics that surfaced around the same year or two for each of the ages.

I have a theory that over time collectors will begin to focus on just one book and raise it up to glory, but that could take 30 years from now. I am sure there will be dissent, but I believe that a concensus might emerge, which I think is just now happening in the bronze age with GL 76 (with Marvel dissenters).

but I believe that a concensus might emerge, which I think is just now happening in the bronze age with GL 76 (with Marvel dissenters).

lollollol

Any discussion I've seen has listed Conan 1 right at the top of the list. GL/GA 76 had virtually nothing to do with the Marvel BA, which is 95% of the important stuff in the 70's.

but I believe that a concensus might emerge, which I think is just now happening in the bronze age with GL 76 (with Marvel dissenters).

lollollol

Any discussion I've seen has listed Conan 1 right at the top of the list. GL/GA 76 had virtually nothing to do with the Marvel BA, which is 95% of the important stuff in the 70's.

right. the value of a book isn't the determining factor when talking about an "age" beginning, and Conan 1 is clearly more a defining point than GL/GA 76, which is more of a reaction than a beginning imho

lollollol

I would disagree with that as there is an impetus to the price collectors are willing to pay, and so I wouldn't use such absolutes. I just sold a Conan 1 CGC 9.4 for just under $550. The GL 76 9.4 last traded at $8,300 or so; even if you argue that is a temporary situation, it will not go to the Conan 1 level. There are a lot of collectors out there willng to pay a lot more for the "less defining" GL 76. I guess they just don't get it, but my theory is that they are saying it is the influential book of the era regardless of publisher.

right. the value of a book isn't the determining factor when talking about an "age" beginning, and Conan 1 is clearly more a defining point than GL/GA 76

Actually, I believe that the valuation of the BA, CA and MA issues is just the opposite, and because Conan #1 was such a massive event, that speculators bought cases and regular collectors took care of their copies.

42807-conan_alt.jpg.068a7d25772a44127e02d6b08995588e.jpg

I just sold a Conan 1 CGC 9.4 for just under $550. The GL 76 9.4 last traded at $8,300 or so

You really can't be this dense, can you? lol

To get a clue, just look at the Census, and then, try to understand that Conan #1 was THE Comic Event of the 70's, and people were buying multiples, cases, etc. and therefore its intense popularity translated into a much larger high-grade supply.

And I guarantee that if Conan #1 had similar Census numbers to GL/GA 76, that it would sell for multiples ABOVE the DC book. No question about it.

Seriously, to equate valuation with importance on BA books is the height of stupidity.

Just so people can really understand what's going on here, this is the high-grade breakdown of the two issues in the CGC Census:

Conan #1:

CGC 9.8 - 8 copies

CGC 9.6 - 50 copies

CGC 9.4 - 133 copies

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76:

CGC 9.8 - 0 copies

CGC 9.6 - 1 copies

CGC 9.4 - 9 copies

I'd say "do the math", but even a squirrel could get those numbers.