• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most important issue from the year 1980?

136 posts in this topic

lollollol

So now it's X-Men 94 being trotted out. What's next, the big kahuna GS X-Men #1.

Remember Jethro, we were originally talking about Conan and GL/GA 76 in a "which is the first BA book" conversation, both of which pale in importance compared to some of the other issues mentioned.

GS X-Men #1, Hulk 181, etc. are some of the most important books EVER, and many rank GS X-Men #1 as the second most important Marvel ever produced, behind only AF 15.

Value is determined by the basic principles of economics: Supply and Demand.

Supply is simple. Whatever exists out there, whether graded by CGC or not, is it.

In the specific case of Conan 1, there are many high grade raw copies available in addition to the CGC copies. From what I've heard, this is not at all the case with GL 76.

Demand is far more complicated. Factors include character/title/writer/artist popularity, overall importance of the book, grade, etc. Some factors may be more influential than others, but they all have an effect.

Value is determined by the basic principles of economics: Supply and Demand.

Supply is simple. Whatever exists out there, whether graded by CGC or not, is it.

In the specific case of Conan 1, there are many high grade raw copies available in addition to the CGC copies. From what I've heard, this is not at all the case with GL 76.

Demand is far more complicated. Factors include character/title/writer/artist popularity, overall importance of the book, grade, etc. Some factors may be more influential than others, but they all have an effect.

Thank you, they all have an effect.

Why are you thanking him? He just b!tchslapped you and your " If there is demand, a price goes higher. If there is not, it does not." detailed economic theory. lol

I have a headache. :sick:

I think we're talking to a "speculator/investor" here who has probably never read the issues in question, nor followed their valuation over the longer term. doh!

I likely started collecting before you were born, but I don't think that really matters. Many of the issues we are discussing I purchased at the newsstand in the 1970's. So, in response to another inaccurate post, I have followed these issues since they were 15 cents/25 cents and I know what they sell for now.

Why are you thanking him? He just b!tchslapped you and your " If there is demand, a price goes higher. If there is not, it does not." detailed economic theory. lol

There is a balancing relationship between supply and demand. The thrust of my point had to do with with the fact there are many factors out there, my original point focusing on importance, but not exclusively so, not just census numbers that you are solely obsessed with. I believe that an important book should have enough demand to overcome the relatively small supply were are talking about, say 133 books, if it is so precious-- why you can't produce more investors than that to raise the price?

So, in response to another inaccurate post, I have followed these issues since they were 15 cents/25 cents and I know what they sell for now.

So why do you post such stupid, ill-informed and totally illogical comments, and have zero understanding in the difference between importance and value?

You compare apples to watermelons, toss the term "investor" around with wild abandon, and sound like a specu-kid who just fell off the turnip truck.

There is a balancing relationship between supply and demand. The thrust of my point had to do with with the fact there are many factors out there, my original point focusing on importance, but not exclusively so, not just census numbers that you are solely obsessed with. I believe that an important book should have enough demand to overcome the relatively small supply were are talking about, say 133 books, if it is so precious-- why you can't produce more investors than that to raise the price?

Importance to age and popularity of an issue do not go hand in hand. If so Hero for Hire would have lasted for more than sixteen issues.

Importance to age and popularity of an issue do not go hand in hand. If so Hero for Hire would have lasted for more than sixteen issues.

I wouldn't argue for that series being important on the same level as the other books we were discussing. Like I said about Conan, I am not saying it is not important, just not like the other books or the price would be higher. Again, there are more than a couple hundred people out there collecting comics.

So, in response to another inaccurate post, I have followed these issues since they were 15 cents/25 cents and I know what they sell for now.

So why do you post such stupid, ill-informed and totally illogical comments, and have zero understanding in the difference between importance and value?

You compare apples to watermelons, toss the term "investor" around with wild abandon, and sound like a specu-kid who just fell off the turnip truck.

Just to torment you.

Conan is no longer popular enough, despite any significance attached to that book, and the overall supply of raw and graded high grade copies prevents the price from equaling a book with low supply and significant demand (GL 76) or books with high supply but ridiculously high demand (GSX 1/Hulk 181).

Anyway, I have to go out and do real stuff now. I'll check in later. Don't get any more strikes, JC. (tsk):baiting:

Logically, you haven't undermined any point I made except with name calling, if THAT counts. Now you are talking about fruit, and I fell off a turnip truck?

Like I said about Conan, I am not saying it is not important, just not like the other books or the price would be higher.

Once again, I would remind you that we are talking about Conan #1 and GL/GA #76, not high profile issues like Hulk 181, GS X-Men #1, etc., which are all FAR MORE important to the BA than either of these 1970 books.

Compared to GS X-Men 1 and Hulk 181, both Conan and GL/GA aren't even in the same league. They are blips on the radar compared to these behemoths of the 70's.

I couldn't even imagine what a Hulk 181 would sell for if there was only a SINGLE copy in CGC 9.6 or higher like GL/GA 76. $50K? 100K? The sky's the limit, as the highest-grade copy has already had bids of over $50K and higher in trade, and Hulk 181 is common as dirt.

Logically, you haven't undermined any point I made

That's because you haven't made any. lol

You're all over the map, not understanding basic math, Hulk 181 this, X-men 94 that, posting 2nd grade economics theory, stating a 58-1 Census discrepancy is meaningless when it comes to valuation, etc. :screwy:

Crazy :censored: man, and it's high time your hass went on ignore, before I get a real headache. I have no time for stupid people or shills.

Like I said about Conan, I am not saying it is not important, just not like the other books or the price would be higher.

Once again, I would remind you that we are talking about Conan #1 and GL/GA #76, not high profile issues like Hulk 181, GS X-Men #1, etc., which are all FAR MORE important to the BA than either of these 1970 books.

Compared to GS X-Men 1 and Hulk 181, both Conan and GL/GA aren't even in the same league. They are blips on the radar compared to these behemoths of the 70's.

I couldn't even imagine what a Hulk 181 would sell for if there was only a SINGLE copy in CGC 9.6 or higher like GL/GA 76. $50K? 100K? The sky's the limit, as the highest-grade copy has already had bids of over $50K and higher in trade, and Hulk 181 is common as dirt.

Nobody would care about Hulk 181 if it were an unimportant book, rather than a key, and had one 9.6 in census. The importance factor matters.

Logically, you haven't undermined any point I made

That's because you haven't made any. lol

You're all over the map, not understanding basic math, Hulk 181 this, X-men 94 that, posting 2nd grade economics theory, stating a 58-1 Census discrepancy is meaningless when it comes to valuation, etc. :screwy:

Crazy :censored: man, and it's high time your hass went on ignore, before I get a real headache. I have no time for stupid people or shills.

For that, you would have to ignore yourself though. Is that possible?