• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The prices some people are asking for O/A are Ridiculous!

156 posts in this topic

It depends - sometimes when i'm looking for funds for a piece of OA, and need to sell a piece i'd rather keep, i'll list it high. Makes me happier if it sells.

Case in point - i listed several pieces recently for more than i thought they were worth, only really needing to sell one. And one did sell to a keen Colan collector, who wanted the piece enough to pay the price.

So we were both happy.

I have a little Bolland piece on the way...can't wait to show it off...

On topic, yeah, there are a lot of ridiculous prices top/down in this hobby. From what artists are charging for newly published stuff, to dealer shennanigans, to collectors trying to wring every dollar out of what we've got so we can keep up, there are a lot of undeservedly high prices out there.

PS -- Man, the Canadian dollar is high right now. (Rather, the American dollar is weak.) This will go down as an era where a lot of our comic art shipped out of the country I'd wager.

J

PS -- Man, the Canadian dollar is high right now. (Rather, the American dollar is weak.) This will go down as an era where a lot of our comic art shipped out of the country I'd wager.

J

Agreed! I've probably sent 30% of the items I've sold lately out of the country. The weak dollar is making American collectibles very attractive overseas.

A few things that make these pieces unique:

- They are each 11" x 17" (so $200 each) - framed together they would be an awesome dyptech and they would stand out from other typical comic book pages and covers.

- These are unique pieces by the artist that created Spidey's black costume and they are vintage. There aren't many vintage Zeck Spidey black costume pieces available

- They are some of the only pieces of B&W art from the Kraven's Last Hunt books available on the market.

It all depends on what you compare the prices to. What should these be worth? Should these be worth as much as a Secret Wars or Kraven's Last Hunt page? Probably not, but what many people don't realize is that Zeck Secret Wars pages typically sell in the $500-$1000 range nowadays and Kraven pages are not available on the market (and would average $1000+/page if they were based on what they recently sold for as a whole).

eh. It's still $500 for something that probably took zeck five minutes. I know what you're saying, I understand that on some form it can be rationalized. But I'm with the original poster on this - at the end of the day black spidey or no, its very little art for the money.

Specific to this piece I would say that $500 is very little money in the OA world these days. If I were a black costume Spidey fan I would definitely consider it. The same way if there were two pages that made up a Batman TPB logo by Jim Lee or a Green Lantern TPB logo by Van Sciver. Framed and up on the wall in the proper presentation it would be pretty cool for a fan.

Heh. Try visiting a museum someday and see what passes as "art" ;) -- this is at least recognizable iconography of black costume spidey.

And for *$400* (the starting bid) there's really not a lot of decent art you can buy in the OA world these days. I don't think the price is all that unrealistic given the market.

I'd sooner complain about some sketchy looking $400 "commission" knocked out in 10 minutes at some con. At least this is a published piece that took 15 minutes.

Guess what I'm saying is "these are the times we're living in" -- now someone's going to start a thread "Art you can buy for $400"

All this may very well be true, but honestly, just looking at that thing, how can anyone justify paying that much for it? I mean, I wouldn't pay 400.00 for that if it was by Frazetta. And its definitely not.

I don't get some of the ridiculous prices on original art. I do get the prices for truly nice pieces, but wow. Alot of this stuff is caused by the artists and their " agents". About 7 years ago, I bought some decent pieces of art from Ethan Van Sciver, probably about 25 pieces total, and it totaled about 2500.00. Mostly Impulse, a little X-Men, a few pin ups, etc. The last time I looked at his stuff, he was asking 2500.00 for splashes. C'Mon, dude. That is just crazy. Who is paying the prices for that stuff? It will never go up in value.

Who is paying the prices for that stuff? It will never go up in value.

Couldn't agree more but apparently someone out there is paying it. Maybe they think van sciver is the next mcfarlane or something. Whatever. Apparently there's plenty of crack pipe to be passed around.

And anyone buying this zeck piece better take a big toke.

I dig Van Sciver thoroughly, but I wouldn't pay 2.5K for a splash. I would pay 2K for one of the best covers he's ever done, and I did, and that's my one major example from him. If his prices are going all crazy pants, I won't be getting another.

Crazily, I've been offerred 150% - 175% of that price for the cover JUST 6 MONTHS LATER and it's worth a lot more than that to me, but that's why this market is nutso. A modern artist gets hot (think Alex Ross, James Jean etc.) and their prices shoot up right away. Look at where Ross is now, with his low and mid grade work being devalued on the aftermarket 50% after purchase from his rep. But alas, his prices don't come down to match.

may not get a bid.

there's a lot more out there you can get for $400.

i did a search of august/july heritage results and there were a bunch of nice pages/sets for less than $400.

in august a whole bunch of sets of 3-4 ayers DC war pages went for $100-$150 a pop, so like $30-45 a page and some of them were pretty decent

this seemed nice for $40 a page for the set:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17084&Lot_No=17718&src=pr