• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me make a foster childs life better by exposing him to collecting comics.

73 posts in this topic

I don't know, if my kid had been interestied in experimenting with crack, I'm not sure that I would agree with this...

Please tell me someone isn't dumb enough to actually post this. lollol

Here's my original comment:

Here's a novel idea: Why not expose your kids to a wide range of age-appropriate interests, and LET THEM DECIDE what they like. It could be action figures, books, cards, stickers, dolls, etc., but each kid is different and will find their own way.

Please disagree with that. :wishluck:

Well with Deathlok gone you are really going to have to work extra hard to ruin threads now JC! I mean twice the work...wow!

Sorry Dr. Frankenstein, I prefer to let kids develop interests bases on their own likes, rather than trying to "create a comic collector".

You feel differently, fine, but I don't think too many child psychologists would agree with you.

again, try reading...it helps... :golfclap:

Read this:

Help me create a comics collector

Read the whole thing...again, not the headlines... doh!

You know what my role sometimes is on here?

To say the things that a lot of people are thinking, but don't feel like voicing in public. I have no such qualms, and I guarantee a lot of people agreed with what I said, but are too polite to post it.

I say if you don't want answers, then don't post questions.

Without a doubt (worship)

Well with Deathlok gone you are really going to have to work extra hard to ruin threads now JC! I mean twice the work...wow!

Sorry Dr. Frankenstein, I prefer to let kids develop interests bases on their own likes, rather than trying to "create a comic collector".

You feel differently, fine, but I don't think too many child psychologists would agree with you.

Actually, the above statement was the one I was disagreeing with...and if you think it's "dumb" to disagree with you, it kind of negates your choice statement...but have a lovely day anyway :juggle:

Actually, the above statement was the one I was disagreeing with...

Okay, where in there did I state that a crack habit was recommended? You must have had a nice childhood. lol

Here's a novel idea: Why not expose your kids to a wide range of age-appropriate interests, and LET THEM DECIDE what they like. It could be action figures, books, cards, stickers, dolls, etc., but each kid is different and will find their own way.

Actually, the above statement was the one I was disagreeing with...

Okay, where in there did I state that a crack habit was recommended? You must have had a nice childhood. lol

That's not the quote I was referring to, it was the one I quoted, not that one...and I have had very pleasant experiances with you when you bought some comics, so I know you can be quite nice, I'm just going to walk away and let this go...obviously we are on different tracks, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, or upset you. We are obviously talking about apples and oranges...and, btw, I grew up in the Bronx, went to school in Harlem...crack WAS an option...I didn't always live in a nice area...glad it wasn't the same for you!

That's not the quote I was referring to, it was the one I quoted, not that one...

I know, but you cannot just take one sentence out of an entire conversation, then try to attribute negative connotations that were never intended, and which prior statements refute.

But I agree that it's time to let this thread go. (thumbs u

P.S. As for my childhood, I grew up in a great neighborhood with tons of kids, played baseball and hockey til dark, white picket fences, lots of space, idyllic, etc. but my early birthday presents consisted of coin collecting kits, stamp books, coin/stamp price guides, hockey equipment (in the summer when I needed a new glove), and many other items from my parent's interests, so I may have a slight issue with this behavior. :frustrated:

I know, but you cannot just take one sentence out of an entire conversation, then try to attribute negative connotations that were never intended, and which prior statements refute.

I was done, but you have got to be kidding me...you entire arguement is based on the above...THE ENTIRE ARGUEMENT!!! And you are trying to now tell someone they can't do what you did...wow...

That's not the quote I was referring to, it was the one I quoted, not that one...

But agree that it's time to let this thread go. (thumbs u

Consider your own advice very carefully here, Joe.

Your more than welcome to disagree with my opinions but merely taking the title of the thread and applying a negative connotation is, as I stated, a bit presumptious. I could also buy him a guitar and see if he enjoys playing music which I do as well. I could give him a baseball and a bat and see if he loves to play sports. At the same time I could post "Help me create a musician" or " Help me create a baseball player".

If you felt that I was giving the child only one option than you were gravely mistaken. Comics are, for the most part, what this whole message board is about so that is where I chose to focus this particular conversation.

My wife and I will certainly give the child every opportunity he wishes to pursue. Opportunities that he may have not had. I dont know what his interests will be but in the end he will become the man that he will become. If I have any postitive influence in the outcome of his life than I have done a small measure of good. In the very short period of time that he and his sisters are a part our household they will bring a great deal of joy into our lives. The day that he goes home I will begin to question every choice I made while caring for him and I will likely suffer the rest of my days without knowing how much or how little an impact I have made.

Anyway, thats all Ive got to say about that.

I thought I might slowly introduce him to my collection. I have many books I am planning on sitting down and reading to him and sharing my appreciation for the art.

Any advice? We all want future collectors but I don't want to force it upon him.

I think that is a GREAT way to start.

Of course even a child that young can make decisions on their own based on what they like and dont like, but many times opening a door to something previously unknown to them is fun to watch how they take to it. but watching him enjoy playing with a spiderman toy and parlaying that into him becoming a serious collector is a stretch. So if you see he enjoying one aspect of superhero stuff , and or comics then introduce him to the next level of collecting if he shows interest in listening. I dont think you can create a collector(and btw I know you did not mean to imply that you wanted to brainwash him) But rather provide an environment that allows him to find his own way, with you being there to help him along his way.

He will obviously watch you, and follow your leader. So if he asks questions, always take the time to answer them. If he shows interest in something always try and encourage that within reason, but I think you already know all of this.

Comics and Superheros are not exactly a stretch for a young child to enjoy so I think what will be interesting to see as time goes by if by watching you( a serious collector) he takes the next step and wants to actually collect comics. Because exposing him to all things comics can only lay a foundation for him to understand there is more to spiderman then just a toy.

As you said you don't want to force it on him but you are of course excited at the prospect of having a comic collector in the making.. ya never know if the bug will bite him or if he will just grow out of it.

Good luck and have fun.

Kenny

At the same time I could post "Help me create a musician" or " Help me create a baseball player".

This is where we totally disagree, and my title would be "Help me make a foster kid's life better".

At the same time I could post "Help me create a musician" or " Help me create a baseball player".

This is where we totally disagree, and my title would be "Help me make a foster kid's life better".

Good, end of discussion.

Glad thats over.

Next

:makepoint:

Fair enough. In the end thats exactly what this is all about.

Despite the derailment of this thread, my hat is off to you any your wife for taking in these children. My wife and I have all we can do raising 1 child. I have a wide variety of books laying around the house. Shoot me a PM if you would like me to send you a Misc. package of books at no cost to introduce to the little guy.

Mike

To say the things that a lot of people are thinking, but don't feel like voicing in public.

You're joking, right?

To say the things that a lot of people are thinking, but don't feel like voicing in public.

You're joking, right?

That's a sweet concept. Just think of JC as King Lear's fool or the Greek chorus, providing all the elemental truths and making sure none of the rest of us get too far behind plotwise. lol (thumbs u