• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me make a foster childs life better by exposing him to collecting comics.

73 posts in this topic

So my wife and I have been foster parenting for close to 2 years now. The two beautiful young girls we had been fostering have gone home and we now have a new set of siblings in the house. A 1 yr old girl, a 2 year old girl and their 5 yr old brother. They just arrived this evening.

The boy has expressed some interest in collecting as he owns a smallish collection of baseball cards. He also was delighted with the new Supes underwear and Spidey socks my wife and I picked out for him before the kids arrifved.

So my question is how do I take this rather quiet, very well behaved and tidy young boy and foster (pun intended) an appreciation for comic books. I thought I might slowly introduce him to my collection. I have many books I am planning on sitting down and reading to him and sharing my appreciation for the art.

Any advice? We all want future collectors but I don't want to force it upon him.

Edited the title to appease the troll.

From what little I know, the kids seem to really dig the JLA and Teen Titans cartoons. Maybe start with some of those books.

Spidey (of course) is big too. Buy him some Essentials and give him a box of crayons.

I would show him different Characters and different publishers from different ages. Like Bronze DC, Silver Marvel, Copper Valiants, Golden Marvel etc. and let him pick his favorite type. Ok... maybe don't show him Golden Age...

Thats how I latched on to Silver Age Marvels :cloud9:

First off, as a teacher I applaud you and your wife!

I would agree with the above, the Cartoon Network books feature Ben10 right now which is really popular. DC does a WONDERFUL job with the Johnny DC line of books. They can be purchased at your local comic shop and often on the newstands. They are created with children in mind, among the titles currently being produced (and this is going to change to Shazam! and Little Teen Titans soon...)

Teen Titans Go!

Cartoon Network (2 anthology books)

Superman and the Legion of SuperHeroes

The price on each is $2.25 ( I believe)

If you need any help getting some, please let me know! I would be more than happy to help!

I'm just glad that you and your wife are taking in these kids! (worship)

I keep a stack of TBPs visible that I believe are age appropriate for my kids. Then, we just read them together. Pretty simple as he now just pulls the books out himself to look at.

I couldn't get my daughter interested until I read her Lulu. Now she's hooked.

Cartoon network,simpsons and marvel adventure line would be good offerings.

Coloring books and activity books are great too,i got my brothers kids a bunch of x-men and avengers activity/coloring books.

For girls try archie, simpson and manga digest type books by tokyopop and Viz,i always see young girls hanging out in the manga section of the book store reading the digest so this could be a nice influence. (thumbs u

My son is 6 and have expressed some interest in comics. He enjoys reading Scoobydoo and the Batman animated series. He also enjoys the Disney stuff (Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse). I started him at 5 but he had trouble reading alot of the words, especially in older spiderman and superman books. If he can't read (and most 5 year olds can't) I would suggest starting him on some of the cartoon looking books like Batman animated and some of the ScoobyDoo books. The kids seem to like the pictures and can relate to what is happening. These books also have very little voilence. Another thing we do is we watch alot of cartoons like Scoobydoo, JLA, Batman, Teen Titans, Disney, this seems to help him get some background and understanding of the characters.

For girls try archie, simpson and manga digest type books by tokyopop and Viz,i always see young girls hanging out in the manga section of the book store reading the digest so this could be a nice influence. (thumbs u

I'm not sure I want my young girls in the manga section. Feel free to flame but what I've seen is usually not a great example for dress codes, etc. To be fair, general superhero books obviously have a tendency to objectify the appearance of women too. Further, my kids don't watch the Simpsons either. I don't consider it age appropriate and they're both in school. All in all, it's just up to the parents to decide what's right for their kids.

I don't know about anyone else, but the concept of "help me create a comics collector" doesn't exactly fill me with hope and joy for my fellow man. :insane:

Here's a novel idea: Why not expose your kids to a wide range of age-appropriate interests, and LET THEM DECIDE what they like. It could be action figures, books, cards, stickers, dolls, etc., but each kid is different and will find their own way.

I know it sounds crazy, but I hear it works.

I don't know about anyone else, but the concept of "help me create a comics collector" doesn't exactly fill me with hope and joy for my fellow man. :insane:

Here's a novel idea: Why not expose your kids to a wide range of age-appropriate interests, and LET THEM DECIDE what they like. It could be action figures, books, cards, stickers, dolls, etc., but each kid is different and will find their own way.

I know it sounds crazy, but I hear it works.

Methinks you miss the point and presume alot more than was presented here. But thanks for the attempt.