• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me make a foster childs life better by exposing him to collecting comics.

73 posts in this topic

JC, if you were just a bit more selective about the things that caused you to get a major hair up your arse, you'd be taken a lot more seriously when you're foaming at the mouth about something you actually really care about.

I'm talking about selectivity.

This guy came on here with a generally benign question, and you treated him like a heel.

He's not.

You're wrong.

Now get back up on that cross....I'll be along in a while with your sponge-on-a-stick. :golfclap:

Red

I guarantee a lot of people agreed with what I said, but are too polite to post it.

Yea, thank God you're here to speak for me. Lord knows I have a hard time saying what's on my mind.

meh

I guarantee a lot of people agreed with what I said, but are too polite to post it.

Yea, thank God you're here to speak for me. Lord knows I have a hard time saying what's on my mind.

meh

lol:golfclap:

meh

WTF are you trying to say?

:/

meh

:pullhair:

At the same time I could post "Help me create a musician" or " Help me create a baseball player".

This is where we totally disagree, and my title would be "Help me make a foster kid's life better".

Fair enough. In the end thats exactly what this is all about.

Maybe we could talk about something else now.Hey how about PGX?lol just kidding guys.

meh

:pullhair:

JC will be along to explain it to everyone.

I started reading comics at the age of 5. My Mom had purchased an Archie I tore up at a grocery store - I guess you could call that my first purchase. Most of my collecting interests happened while riding the coat tails of my older brother. He would buy comics with his allowance money, and I would read them after he was done and put them away as if they were my own.

30 years later, I'm frightened by the thought that I would share the books I have collected with my own 1 and a half year old son. It is this selfish way of thinking that really leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth about my own collecting pursuits. What good are these books if I can't use them to enrich my own son's reading and comprehension skills or to inspire some imagination?

I think its admirable that you and your wife are taking in these children. Every night, I read to my son before bed time, and eventually I may introduce comics to him when he gets older. I think its a great idea to expose children to any age appropriate forms of entertainment that don't include sitting in front of a t.v. all day playing video games or chatting on some online messenger.

Aside from it being a great tool to stimulate young minds, there is something positive to be said about reading comics, and developing a hobby around it from an early age. As a creative outlet, it kept me out of trouble and off the same streets that later consumed the kids I once called friends, and they even helped hone my artistic and writing skills.

It wasn't however the end all of my upbringing - balance is the key - playing sports and kids games with friends helped achieve the right balance of social dynamic, interpersonal and personal development. In fact I rarely talked about comics with other kids, and sadly, when I reached an age when I did connect with friends who also collected comics, it became a game of one-upmanship and who had the most expensive or valuable comic. If there is one thing I would want to change if my son shows an interest in comics is to make sure he doesn't get so hung-up about monetizing on hobby specific interests or pursuits.

I wish you the very best in bettering the lives of these children! (thumbs u

For girls try archie, simpson and manga digest type books by tokyopop and Viz,i always see young girls hanging out in the manga section of the book store reading the digest so this could be a nice influence. (thumbs u

I'm not sure I want my young girls in the manga section. Feel free to flame but what I've seen is usually not a great example for dress codes, etc. To be fair, general superhero books obviously have a tendency to objectify the appearance of women too. Further, my kids don't watch the Simpsons either. I don't consider it age appropriate and they're both in school. All in all, it's just up to the parents to decide what's right for their kids.

Tokyopop make all ages books for the kids and then teen books.

From the few all ages books i`ve seen like "kingdom hearts" with disney characters i don`t think those are negative.

I don`t flame you asked and these are just suggestions that no one else had posted yet, i`m sure whatever you do is fine.

So my wife and I have been foster parenting for close to 2 years now.

First of all it's great to meet a fellow foster parent. :applause:

So my question is how do I take this rather quiet, very well behaved and tidy young boy and foster (pun intended) an appreciation for comic books. I thought I might slowly introduce him to my collection. I have many books I am planning on sitting down and reading to him and sharing my appreciation for the art.

Well I picked up this book last year printed by Readers Digest (shrug) and it comes with a battery powered projector.

42961-mysonbookfront.jpg

It had the origin stories of the Hulk, Spiderman, Avengers, FF, and X-men.

So in a sense it gives an updated version of the beginnings of the SilverAge.

42962-mysonbookinside.jpg

My son digs it, but be warned....the room has to be pitch dark to be able to see anything clearly on the small projection.

Unlike the photo of the boys enjoying this on the back cover....your kid will not be able to see

the book pages in the dark and follow along quite as effortlessly as these boys.

42964-mysonbookback.jpg

Have a flashlight handy.