• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to get boxes for mailing slabs?

16 posts in this topic

I have to mail out some slabs, and would like to mail them bubble-wrapped in a box. I know I have received slabs in boxes like that, particularly in USPS Priority boxes. Doe anyone have a good source or location to pick those up? Ho wdo you obtain the USPS boxes? Do you purchase them first, or will they give them to you? And I'm looking for boxes that size, not the CGC specific size mailers. Thanks!

Here's a link for some 1095 Priority Mail boxes. They are bigger than the standard 1092 boxes which I wouldn't recommend for slabs. The 1092 are just big enough to hold a slab, but any impact on either end tends to break the case!

Priority Mail box 1095

You'll have to create an account with the USPS, and they will ship you Priority Mail supplies for free!

I have to mail out some slabs, and would like to mail them bubble-wrapped in a box. I know I have received slabs in boxes like that, particularly in USPS Priority boxes. Doe anyone have a good source or location to pick those up? Ho wdo you obtain the USPS boxes? Do you purchase them first, or will they give them to you? And I'm looking for boxes that size, not the CGC specific size mailers. Thanks!

Boxes you are looking for are 1095's iirc. Check out USPS.com, create ana ccount and you can order them from USPS directly free of charge. Cant remember the dimensions off the top of my head though.

Arex

I woild also recommend securing the end of the box with additional cardboard. I cut out strips that are 3 X 12 1/2 place that on one end add newspaper or packing materials to cushion the end before I place the slab in the box. Then I do the same for the top before I close it. Helps prevent it from becoming crushed at the edges.

If you have larger book shipping requirements, uline.com has some specials from time to time...

I use 16x12x6 or 16x12x10 for larger book shipments.

Not that anyone actually wants to PAY for shipping materials, but the uline boxes are very sturdy and hasn't failed me yet.

Here's a link for some 1095 Priority Mail boxes. They are bigger than the standard 1092 boxes which I wouldn't recommend for slabs. The 1092 are just big enough to hold a slab, but any impact on either end tends to break the case!

Priority Mail box 1095

You'll have to create an account with the USPS, and they will ship you Priority Mail supplies for free!

1092s are bad news for slabs. I use them to ship raw books only...the slightly smaller dimensions mean less packing material to secure the contents.

Another thing I would think about doing would be to get some of the FedEx or UPS padpack mailers and use those along with the USPS box. Ive found that to be an excellent combintation of protection.

Great tip! I've seen these used a few times and it definitely keeps everything nice and cushioned.

Another thing I would think about doing would be to get some of the FedEx or UPS padpack mailers and use those along with the USPS box. Ive found that to be an excellent combintation of protection.

Great tip! I've seen these used a few times and it definitely keeps everything nice and cushioned.

ComicLink does that for their shipments as well. It doesn't protect as well as bubble wrap, but helps to prevent moving of large number of books and works well WHEN YOU USE OTHER FORMS OF PROTECTION.

Gesh, this sounds like a Trojan ad.

ComicLink does that for their shipments as well. It doesn't protect as well as bubble wrap, but helps to prevent moving of large number of books and works well WHEN YOU USE OTHER FORMS OF PROTECTION.

Gesh, this sounds like a Trojan ad.

Yea, definitely don't use it as the ONLY protection. The best way I've seen it is to put each slab in one of the padpacks, then bubble wrap all those together in a box.