• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Nelson to set up at Baltimore

1,017 posts in this topic

Linky from Scoop.

Im surprised that no one else has commented on this as it has been in Scoop for a while.

It seems as though, at least that the discussion on the public perception/knowledge/caring about pressing will get a little real world data. With Matt setting up a booth and doing pre-screening the topic will be "pressed" :tonofbrick: into the open more than it has been.

What say the boards?

What's your opinion, Mr. Crooke?

I see no harm in it at all.

People seem to think that Matt only presses books. :news: he also restores/conserves them as well.

Like I said in the above post, i dont see how anything but positives can come from it. Real-world, on the ground feedback and expose to people about pressing. Seems like a win-win myself.

Warning. It will take you forever to get your books back. I sent him 3 books ( Hulk 181 @ VF, Batman 121 @ F-NFN+, and a Avengers 7 @ NM-) 4 months ago to be pressed, and they are just now heading over to CGC.

-CC

How long did he say it would take?

If he does on-site resto check, that could be helpful

Actually, Matt is setting up to sell books believe it or not. And probably finalize alot of stuff about the Pedigree book with Steve and Artie. Not sure if he will be working that much, as I am sure he will be busy selling and buying books.

Really? Where does it say that? Unless I missed it, he is just going to do pre-screening, resto checks, and other resto/conso stuff

I for one (minority) think he offers a service and you are free to use that service or not. I have been saying this a lot today about other topics, but at least it is someone who is working above board, not some backroom pretending he doesn't do it. There is a place for conservation, restoration and pressing IMO...

I for one (minority) think he offers a service and you are free to use that service or not. I have been saying this a lot today about other topics, but at least it is someone who is working above board, not some backroom pretending he doesn't do it. There is a place for conservation, restoration and pressing IMO...

:applause:

I was talking with a boardie today and we both were in agreement on this too Jon. Matt setting up a booth is putting the process and therefore the issue in the public eye.

Maybe Matt sees that a lot of people do care about disclosure and he decides to openly disclose it :shrug:

The process of opening it up to larger amounts of collectors seems to be opening. Lets see what happens.

I know Matt has a ton of books to sell... and not all (and maybe not even most) are pressed. He does hit the shows regualrly looking to scoop up deals and he doesn't mind laying out the green for the right books.

Which are the books that he knows he can press to a higher grade. Buy them raw at VF+, work a bit of magic, sell them slabbed at 9.6. (thumbs u

Manufactured collectibles. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I know Matt has a ton of books to sell... and not all (and maybe not even most) are pressed. He does hit the shows regualrly looking to scoop up deals and he doesn't mind laying out the green for the right books.

Which are the books that he knows he can press to a higher grade. Buy them raw at VF+, work a bit of magic, sell them slabbed at 9.6. (thumbs u

That's a great system. But don't forget buying lower grade (4.5-5.0) GA books and pressing them into 7.0'-8.0's (ala Heritage). Big money there as well.

Too bad I can't be in Baltimore next weekend. What makes it frustrating is that I will be in Baltimore THIS weekend instead!!! Argghhhh!

Anyway, some people will make a big deal out of pressing for as long as others will listen. I for one do not have a problem with Matt selling pressed and unpressed books. I hope he has a good show. I met him in Chicago (although chatted through email before) and saw him throughout the weekend, and he's a nice guy.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be argumentative either. Just wanted to let you know how I knew it. Wasn't anything I read off a website or something someone had told me. Matt has some great Golden Age stuff. I think most people will be surprised just expecting 9.6s and 9.8s. He is a big Golden Age collector as well as messing with the bronze & silver stuff.

If they are in by 10, can I get my shirts back by 4?

Yes, we all know that you need to get those "sweat" stains removed. Please do it quickly.

trolling

Notify Mod #2. :banana:

Well since you stalked him in SD I guess you would know!

:P

Ze-

Does anyone know if Matt cracks CGC cases? There are a couple of issues such as the Avengers #1 @ CGC 6.5 that I am afraid to open on my own. Although I have look at various pictures and videos I still do not have enough confidence to attempt it. For some odd reason I want read MY copy.

Thanks,

CC