• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Nelson to set up at Baltimore

1,017 posts in this topic

I know Matt has a ton of books to sell... and not all (and maybe not even most) are pressed. He does hit the shows regualrly looking to scoop up deals and he doesn't mind laying out the green for the right books.

Which are the books that he knows he can press to a higher grade. Buy them raw at VF+, work a bit of magic, sell them slabbed at 9.6. (thumbs u

Manufactured collectibles. :banana: :banana: :banana:

That's absolutely not true. He will often buy raw and submit them without any mods. Of course if they *do* need some TLC, and it makes financial sense, he will press it.

BTW, where are you getting those eBay 8.5s and having them pressed to 9.6? Sure, you can take a 9.2 and, maybe if you're lucky, get a 9.6 (or a 9.0) but it's virtually impossible to make an 8.5 a 9.6. You're just a hater. :baiting:

Pretty unbelievable, isn't it?

But then again, who ever thought that a 4.0 could get 'massaged' into a 9.0??? (shrug)

[C) You can put a book at the bottom of a stack of books and leave it there several years and it will come out pressed.

Sorry to say Doc, but this is incorrect, assuming you haven't stacked yours to the moon, while regularly applying heat and moisture.

Stacking is stacking and pressing is pressing. Two totally different animals with two very different outcomes.

Matt will crack a cgc or pgx case if you direct him to do so. He stated to to me that he is planning on setting up at WW Texas, most likely to do pre-screens. I hope he does set up to sell and look forward to seeing what he has from the golden age. I plan on taking a few of my restored books to see if the color touch can be removed.

Scott

[C) You can put a book at the bottom of a stack of books and leave it there several years and it will come out pressed.

Sorry to say Doc, but this is incorrect, assuming you haven't stacked yours to the moon, while regularly applying heat and moisture.

Stacking is stacking and pressing is pressing. Two totally different animals with two very different outcomes.

Same thing could be said about the different types of pressing Joe. What you describe above sounds like a scene from a bad science fiction movie.

And last I heard Matt is not setting up to sell in Baltimore but will have books on display. (that could perhaps be bought?) I dunno. Texas might be different since it is so close.

Ze-

I posted this somewhere else, so I guess I can here too.

What is the difference between what Matt is doing now and what dealers and collectors have been doing for 50 years, which is sticking a bent or warped comic on a flat surface and under 5 - 10 heavy books? Wouldn't that also be pressing? There will NEVER be a record of all the books which were pressed in this way.

What about when you find a collection of books and they are just plain dirty? Most dealers have bought collections like this. You can literally wipe the dirt off the books? Is this cleaning a book?

Yes, pressing does, in a sense, restore a book to its original condition. But it doesn't alter the original book in any material way. Nothing added, nothing taken away. No enhancements to make the book look better than what is actually already there.

Some of you guys are confused about what pressing does. Very rarely does pressing ever take a book from 8.0 to 9.4 or better. You can't press out a crease that wrinkles the paper. You can press out a bend, you can press out small indentions, you can press out spine roll. That is basically it.

I normally find myself in agreement with you but not on this one. You can put a comic under a stack of books from here to the moon and you won't get the same effect as you will with a press. Difference is application of heat.

That's absolutely not true. He will often buy raw and submit them without any mods. Of course if they *do* need some TLC, and it makes financial sense, he will press it.

It can't be both. 'Absolutely not true'...and 'he will press it'.

In fact, it is absolutely true...but he doesn't do it all the time.

:baiting:

Some of you guys are confused about what pressing does. Very rarely does pressing ever take a book from 8.0 to 9.4 or better. You can't press out a crease that wrinkles the paper. You can press out a bend, you can press out small indentions, you can press out spine roll. That is basically it.

You need to read this thread:

Manufactured Gold

Well, I read the first page, the thread is 256 pages long, so probably won't get to the end. I am not talking about cleaning a book. If you take a book apart, soak it in cleaner, and put it back together and press it, that is a different ball of wax. That can and often does physically alter the book as the cover will often actually shrink, not to mention the introduction of chemicals to the material of the book.

I'm trying to understand what people that don't like pressing are looking forward to talking to him about. Are they hoping for an open public forum where they can yell at him and tell him he's wrong and pressing is bad? Do they think they can sway him to stop pressing?

Well, I read the first page, the thread is 256 pages long, so probably won't get to the end. I am not talking about cleaning a book. If you take a book apart, soak it in cleaner, and put it back together and press it, that is a different ball of wax. That can and often does physically alter the book as the cover will often actually shrink, not to mention the introduction of chemicals to the material of the book.

You need to change your settings so you get more posts per page. :gossip:

But...back to what you are toalking about, that thread deals solely with books the were either preseed, dry-cleaned, or both to acheive incredible grade bumps. CGC has stated numerouse times that any form of chemical/solvent cleaning will garner the Purple Label of Death (PLOD).

They have also stated that books can be disassembled and re-assembled and still get a Blue Label.

They have also stated that books can be disassembled and re-assembled and still get a Blue Label.

And Matt (or anyone else) will tell you that dissasembly is restoration so that one is on CGC

Somebody BIG must have reefed open a ton of pedigrees for some reason.

I'm trying to understand what people that don't like pressing are looking forward to talking to him about. Are they hoping for an open public forum where they can yell at him and tell him he's wrong and pressing is bad? Do they think they can sway him to stop pressing?

I don't get it either. I like Matt and would enjoy meeting him and chatting about the hobby, pedigrees, etc. But I would have no delusion that he's ever going to change his stance on undisclosed pressing due to a conversation with me or anyone else. Just the way it is.

Maybe some folks look at it thinking they'll get a Clarice / Hannibal type encounter.

(shrug)

I don't get it either. I like Matt and would enjoy meeting him and chatting about the hobby, pedigrees, etc. But I would have no delusion that he's ever going to change his stance on undisclosed pressing due to a conversation with me or anyone else. Just the way it is.

Maybe some folks look at it thinking they'll get a Clarice / Hannibal type encounter.

(shrug)

I personally like to meet all the 'power players' in our hobby.......I have never bought a book from Harley Yee, but if he's at this show, I certainly want to shake his hand and talk about the hobby for a few.....

oh yeah, :hi: Steve

With all of the knowledge of preservation available to almost everyone today, and the fact that almost all homes are climate controlled these days, and that archival material is readily available, almost no comics should deteriorate to a stage of brittleness within our lifetimes, even ones which have been pressed.