• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Nelson to set up at Baltimore

1,017 posts in this topic

So Mr. President, whatcha drinkin' tonight?

I think I may go read the Preacher TPBs I just bought today. Good reads when drunk, the violence is funny.

Sam Adams Light, just cracked my first one due to company at the house that may have needed a ride home.

Good reading choice, if you stumble across a scene with a monky let me know, I swear there was a funny incident involving one in Preacher, I know it was one of those Vertigo titles.

What you drinkin, Captain Stinkpants?

Decided to go import tonight, drinking Grolsch...good beer from Holland.

I'm on the 4th Preacher trade, don't recall seing a monkey yet. But everything disgusting than can happen, does happen in this series.

Great Moments in CGC Board History: GACollectibles Invites Paratrooper to Join:

stinkor.gif

In my opinion 1 of the biggest (if not the biggest) problem with undisclosed pressing is that no one knows (outside of the seller, and that is only in some cases) if the book they are buying (or planning to buy) can be pressed into a higher grade OR if it has already be pressed to its "highest" grade.

Because there is a nice amount of collectors (wether they say it or not) who want to improve their comics, yet, still keep it "Blue label/Universal qualified"

I think I may go read the Preacher TPBs I just bought today. Good reads when drunk, the violence is funny.

Sam Adams Light, just cracked my first one due to company at the house that may have needed a ride home.

Good reading choice, if you stumble across a scene with a monky let me know, I swear there was a funny incident involving one in Preacher, I know it was one of those Vertigo titles.

I'm on the 4th Preacher trade, don't recall seing a monkey yet. But everything disgusting than can happen, does happen in this series.

stinkor.gif

Nice. Just wait for the next show and you want to stash your stuff behind the table, you'll be finding a nice surprise.

BTW, my costume reveals much more of my buttocks.

Heck, I would imagine some people want to know if it has been pressed because they were looking to have it possibly pressed into a higher grade.

It really depends on the buyer IMO.

now that is an interesting observation....................i think Matt has stated somewhere that a second pressing ain't gonna help anymore...........

Everyone knows that I'm for full disclosure, but they should also know that I think Matt Nelson is a nice guy and just doing what he's chosen to make his living at. My problem is with people who crack a slab, press a book, reslab and not disclose. What someone does witha book after Matt has it is not Matt's problem.

What is the difference between this and pressing a book before it is ever slabbed to begin with? Also, what is the difference between this and what guys like Tom Brulato, Steve L, and some other guys do of buying books that they think might get a higher grade by cracking and resubmitting? What is the difference between this and all the people on this board who talk about buying old label books and resubmitting them so as to get better paper quality on the new labels? Should all of these practices be disclosed as well?

Uh, yes, they should.

We can play what if with this stuff all day long. The bottom line is, regardless of whether or not either book is pressed, they are each beautiful books. And the idea that a high grade collector would pass on either solely because of a pressing is silly. If you choose to pass on a pressed book to wait for an unpressed in the same grade, more power to you. If I were to see two copies of a comic that I want in the same grade I would buy the copy that looked best and was priced the best, pressed or not.

Rich, to me, it`s all about fair play, and whether one book is what it is through defying the incredibly long odds, or whether it is through a little assistance, in which case those long odds aren`t so long and therefore by definition the book isn`t that special (or not as special). I understand what you`re saying, though. After all, some people genuinely believe that Barry Bonds is now the home run king.

Personally, I believe that Hank Aaron still holds the title and will wait until Alex Rodriguez passes 755 to celebrate the new record (unless it turns out he`s been juiced since he was 18, but I don`t think that will be the case).

stinkor.gif

why the hell is he Skelator? I'm much more evil.

We can play what if with this stuff all day long. The bottom line is, regardless of whether or not either book is pressed, they are each beautiful books. And the idea that a high grade collector would pass on either solely because of a pressing is silly. If you choose to pass on a pressed book to wait for an unpressed in the same grade, more power to you. If I were to see two copies of a comic that I want in the same grade I would buy the copy that looked best and was priced the best, pressed or not.

Rich, to me, it`s all about fair play, and whether one book is what it is through defying the incredibly long odds, or whether it is through a little assistance, in which case those long odds aren`t so long and therefore by definition the book isn`t that special (or not as special)

I actually agree with you on this.

However, the genie is out of the bottle now, so all we can hope for is disclosure.

Everyone knows that I'm for full disclosure, but they should also know that I think Matt Nelson is a nice guy and just doing what he's chosen to make his living at. My problem is with people who crack a slab, press a book, reslab and not disclose. What someone does witha book after Matt has it is not Matt's problem.

Well, based upon your line of thinking, then you most definitely do have a problem with what Matt does for a living. Matt does not only work on books for his customers, he also works on his own books and does not openly disclose the work done unless asked. doh!

Unless of course you have a double standard whereby everybody else should disclose and Matt does not have to disclose when he sells a book.

In my opinion 1 of the biggest (if not the biggest) problem with undisclosed pressing is that no one knows (outside of the seller, and that is only in some cases) if the book they are buying (or planning to buy) can be pressed into a higher grade OR if it has already be pressed to its "highest" grade.

Because there is a nice amount of collectors (wether they say it or not) who want to improve their comics, yet, still keep it "Blue label/Universal qualified"

Not all books can be brought to a higher grade by pressing. If a person buys a book thinking they can get it pressed into a higher grade, yet really has no idea what they are doing, has no idea what pressing actually does, and no idea what pressing can actually correct, then that is their own fault.

It is really a shame that this wonderful hobby has come to this. That all anybody wants is a .2 bump on a case instead of just a nice book.

Well, based upon your line of thinking, then you most definitely do have a problem with what Matt does for a living. Matt does not only work on books for his customers, he also works on his own books and does not openly disclose the work done unless asked. doh!

Unless of course you have a double standard whereby everybody else should disclose and Matt does not have to disclose when he sells a book.

I was unaware of that.....thanks for the heads up.

It is really a shame that this wonderful hobby has come to this. That all anybody wants is a .2 bump on a case instead of just a nice book.

There is no shame in people wanting a nice book. Whether a book is unpressed and nice, or pressed and nice in a higher graded holder, it is still a nice book. If a collector prefers the higher grade, that is cool. If a collector prefers an unpressed book, that is cool too. No shame in either approach. The only shame is that there are those whose arguments seem to give the impression that a pressed book has a taint on it, is devalued and/or somehow corrupted.

The only shame is that there are those whose arguments seem to give the impression that a pressed book has a taint on it, is devalued and/or somehow corrupted.

That's b/c there are some of us that believe that pressing is a form of restoration.

You wouldn't say the same thing about people arguing against color touch, would you?

The only shame is that there are those whose arguments seem to give the impression that a pressed book has a taint on it, is devalued and/or somehow corrupted.

That's b/c there are some of us that believe that pressing is a form of restoration.

You wouldn't say the same thing about people arguing against color touch, would you?

I wouldn't say the same thing about color touch. Most of the time there is no doubt that color touch is restoration.

But, as for simple pressing...if you call that restoration...here goes...YOU ARE WRONG!

Sorry, that was the only way to say it.

I wouldn't say the same thing about color touch. Most of the time there is no doubt that color touch is restoration.

But, as for simple pressing...if you call that restoration...here goes...YOU ARE WRONG!

No need to apologize. How am I wrong and you're right?

Does pressing not "restore" a book to a previous condition? Granted, you cannot press out color breaks and the like, but dings can be. It doesn't always work, but you cannot argue that pressing does not restore some books to a better state.

Just because CGC doesn't call it restoration, does not make it so. (tsk)

You can have your opinion. But don't say that "I'm wrong" because I don't agree with your definition of resto.

I will have to agree with Ricky here. Pressing in no way changes the innate qualities and original materials of a comic book. Basically no different than a book you have at home that the corner has been creased over, and you bend it back to the original position. By your argument, if you do that, the book has now been restored to its original state.