• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: The Greatest Ebay Flip Ever

45 posts in this topic

I seriously doubt the guy will ever see a cent of that $500K. lol

Check out the bid history - it was won by a low-FB buyer who sticks to cheap CDs and other items, was bid up by some NARU'd members and obvious shills.

Possible, but it's clearly worth a hell of a lot more than $300. We have a very probably legit bidder at $78K. Above that, who knows, but there are a lot of decent looking bidders in there.

If the high bidder flakes, this thing should be off to Sothebys.

Yeah, the original seller screwed up on the spelling, and the buyer certainly got a deal, assuming it's legit.

My cousin is married to a serious art buyer/dealer and you would not believe the insane fakes that are floating around. Even he's been fooled from time to time, especially with older art posters and esoteric stuff. The chances of some random guy selling the real thing on EBay is so low I don't even want to say it.

That's probably why the original buyer sold it on EBay, as Sotheby's would be much more stringent in their certification.

Funny, there's a long article in this week's New Yorker about extremely high-end investments in wine, and about how a German collector who sold hundreds of thousands (millions?) of dollars worth of scarce wines turned out to be manufacturing fakes. I was reading it last night and found it riveting.

I didn't see anything about authentication in either auction?

If I were the seller in the first auction, I would just end my life. Seriously.

Talk about leaving a few bucks on the table...

How is this possible?!?

Why wouldn't a piece like this be at Christies or Sothebys?

Yeah, the original seller screwed up on the spelling, and the buyer certainly got a deal, assuming it's legit.

My cousin is married to a serious art buyer/dealer and you would not believe the insane fakes that are floating around. Even he's been fooled from time to time, especially with older art posters and esoteric stuff. The chances of some random guy selling the real thing on EBay is so low I don't even want to say it.

That's probably why the original buyer sold it on EBay, as Sotheby's would be much more stringent in their certification.

That's a possibility. I've seen a few pieces of art that were probably fakes pull in a couple g's from buyers who were either unknowlegable or willing to gamble. This is just nuts though.

I'm curious now, so I'm doing a little google research...

Could have sworn i drank one of those last week. Didn't feel so good after though.

Like when Elaine ate Peterman's Louis XVI wedding cake.

Classic!

Mr. Peterman: Elaine, is the item still with you?

Elaine: As far as I know.

Mr. Peterman: Elaine, do you know what happens when a cake sits in a damp, poorly ventilated cellar for 60 years?

Elaine: (frightened) No.

Mr. Peterman: (letting her off the hook but smugly adds) Very well. I have the feeling what you're about to go through is punishment enough.

Elaine stands there weakly.

Mr. Peterman: (smugly tosses remote away) Dismissed.

lol

That's a possibility. I've seen a few pieces of art that were probably fakes pull in a couple g's from buyers who were either unknowlegable or willing to gamble. This is just nuts though.

I'm curious now, so I'm doing a little google research...

I want to see the second guy re-flip it for a cool mill.

The Seller Speaks!

Couple points of interest:

-The original seller owned it for more than 50 years

-The 500K bidder bailed

-The seller claims to have received multiple six figure offers

-The seller claims to be a 25 year old CEO of some company who now wants to sell the bottle for charity. *cough* bullshiz *cough*

The Seller Speaks!

Couple points of interest:

-The original seller owned it for more than 50 years

-The 500K bidder bailed

-The seller claims to have received multiple six figure offers

-The seller claims to be a 25 year old CEO of some company who now wants to sell the bottle for charity. *cough* bullshiz *cough*

Could this all be an elaborate sting? Two guys raise the hype, then quitely unload the item off the grid to one of these email offers?