• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-launchs, re-re-launchs...

19 posts in this topic

That kind of stuff used to bother me, but I don't care anymore really.

A good comic is a good comic, whether it is number 146 or Vol. IV #3.

Some titles should always be around to keep some sense of history - Action, Detective, Superman, Batman, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Uncanny X-Men, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, etc.

But why does it matter if it's Flash #206 or #9? What matters to me right now is whether or not Flash #206/#9 is any good... because if it sucks, I couldn't care less. I'm not buying a crappy comic just to maintain a run.

Then again, I just bought the latest issue of Cerebus so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Kev

I'm enjoying the Marvel Max reboots for reading (not hoarding)

Supreme Power is one I'm getting into now. Only b/c I enjoyed Rising Stars with the same creative team on it. I wouldn't have gone back and read my old Defenders and Avengers's Squadron supreme/sinister arcs if not for this "NEW" comic.

If you have time to spare, then don't count these out for a good read...maybe the older guys remember these in full detail the first timeout and tie some sentimental value into considering them "better" reads, but for those of us who have never gotten into it, or don't remember as well, this could get us to plop down every month for a new issue.

I only like the changes if they bring back the character to his old roots. I hate when they keep changing the origins and history of a superhero and his villains and friends. Gets a bit confusing for old collectors. OK for new collectors, but then there are more old collectors out there that buy the books. To me it seems like a bad direction to go for MARVEL. Keep changing the character until nobody cares about reading the stories is a bit self-destructive.

I only like the changes if they bring back the character to his old roots. I hate when they keep changing the origins and history of a superhero and his villains and friends. Gets a bit confusing for old collectors. OK for new collectors, but then there are more old collectors out there that buy the books. To me it seems like a bad direction to go for MARVEL. Keep changing the character until nobody cares about reading the stories is a bit self-destructive.

It's nothing less than a SLAP TO THE FACE........for us " True Believers " foreheadslap.gif

when the titles get stale, and Marvel in the 90s was horrible, you breathe new life into the characters with (sometimes radical) relaunches. An doften times the new angles work: and more often they fail. But I appreciate th eeffort rather than continuity for continuity sake.

In the 60s, Marvels strict sense of continuity was key to its success.Keeping track of a couple dozen heroes and villains in 8 titles was cool and It leant a seriousnes and reality to the expanding Marvel Universe. But after 40 freaking years and over 5000 characters!!??! cmon! Its like reading a history textbook trying to catch up and keep track of everyone and everything.

As long as th estories are interesting Im happy. I cant stand any comic that is formulaic and a plotline Ive already read over and over again.

when the titles get stale, and Marvel in the 90s was horrible, you breathe new life into the characters with (sometimes radical) relaunches. An doften times the new angles work: and more often they fail. But I appreciate th eeffort rather than continuity for continuity sake.

In the 60s, Marvels strict sense of continuity was key to its success.Keeping track of a couple dozen heroes and villains in 8 titles was cool and It leant a seriousnes and reality to the expanding Marvel Universe. But after 40 freaking years and over 5000 characters!!??! cmon! Its like reading a history textbook trying to catch up and keep track of everyone and everything.

As long as th estories are interesting Im happy. I cant stand any comic that is formulaic and a plotline Ive already read over and over again.

Marvel needs to go back to " a couple dozen heroes " and " 8 titles ".

QUALITY not QUANTITY tonofbricks.gif

Im sure if you ask Quesada, he'd answer with the Ultimates line. Most of the original heroes are there already. And they are adding back the villains as they go along.

Im sure if you ask Quesada, he'd answer with the Ultimates line. Most of the original heroes are there already. And they are adding back the villains as they go along.

Joe knows what he can do with his ULTIMATE UNIVERSE tongue.gif

youre not enjoying ANY of it? I have liked Spidey (though I was shocked that its been almost 4 years already!) The Ultimates has been a real good read. And I even liked the newest storyline in U Xmen with spidey saving Wolverine. Dis you notice in the latest issue how suddenly DD is like an angry Batman telling them to take it out of Hells Kitchen or else? Its nice t see such a no-nonsense DD, even tho its a direct swipe from Bats.

Imo Ultimate Spider has been one great and impressive ride...and i've been reading comics for 20 years.

Ultimates is a good reading, but not at the same level as USM, but good.

U. X-men is the less strong of the 3 titles, but this new take with Bendis is putting out some nice comics.

What are your opinions on this subject?

Save yourself from lining Jemas' pocket, don't buy new comics!!

JC is absolutely right on this one! smile.gif

Sadly, I gave up COMPLETELY on new books (less Batman, Detective and JLA where I am working on full runs and I have subscriptions) and just buy TPBs that interest me. It's just too frustrating to read a 1/6th or 1/12th installment monthly and be expected to remember what happened in the previous issue or part 2 when you are in part 6. TPBs all the way! Plus, I find that you can get some really sweet deals on TPBs at cons or at a few local stores.

DAM

That kind of stuff used to bother me, but I don't care anymore really.

A good comic is a good comic, whether it is number 146 or Vol. IV #3.

Some titles should always be around to keep some sense of history - Action, Detective, Superman, Batman, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Uncanny X-Men, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, etc.

But why does it matter if it's Flash #206 or #9? What matters to me right now is whether or not Flash #206/#9 is any good... because if it sucks, I couldn't care less. I'm not buying a crappy comic just to maintain a run.

Then again, I just bought the latest issue of Cerebus so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Kev

You are so right, the problem is, most of the relaunches (save the ultimate line) aren't as good as their predecessors. The art is lousy or the story goes no where.