• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I never do this, but I need help - FF#48

50 posts in this topic

4.0, but why would you send it CGC anyways? I only buy CGC to get a quality book, then I crack it open! :grin:

doh!

do you realize that you just dumped allover Chris' book?

There appears to be more to this one than meets the eye.

but there isn't. it's a VG+ book. the grade is the grade is the grade. :makepoint:

not all VG+ books are alike. just as not all NM books are alike. of course the former allows for a wider range than the latter, but you get my drift

I need grading opinions on this FF#48. Really nice copy apart from the color breaking sub-crease. Not sure how hard CGC hammers for this (not that I'm sending it in), but I imagine it's a big blow. I don't konw what to grade this book out as. Thoughts? Thanks!

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

First impression, 5.0

but there isn't. it's a VG+ book. the grade is the grade is the grade. :makepoint:

not all VG+ books are alike. just as not all NM books are alike. of course the former allows for a wider range than the latter, but you get my drift

It's not grade related. :gossip:

I'll give you the lowdown on our road trip.

4.0, but why would you send it CGC anyways? I only buy CGC to get a quality book, then I crack it open! :grin:

doh!

do you realize that you just dumped allover Chris' book?

There appears to be more to this one than meets the eye.

Just for that, you are riding in the back :cloud9:

Just for that, you are riding in the back :cloud9:

Does that mean you're driving? I'm not driving the whole way. I'll provide the transport, but I'm not chauffuering (sp?) you guys the whole time too.

I gotta make that drive again by myself two weeks after the show.

That doesn't bother me. I would never send this one to CGC. I just wanted to get opinions on it.

I'm glad I did post it. There appears to be more to this one than meets the eye. I'm hoping to get some additional information/clarification in Baltimore.

Stay tuned.....

This is the #48 I sold as a 4.5 a long time ago, along with the #49 & #50. If by more then meets the eye...you think it's been pressed...I'd like to draw your attention to the overhang at the top edge.. pressing would flatten that out completely... not to mention the creasing at the bottom back cover in the middle by the sub crease along with the impact at the lower left corner of the front cover.

Those books were sold in about Oct./Nov. 2006. I didn't start pressing until April 2007.

At any rate... thought I would point out the obvious issues at hand with that book...again.. not a book someone looking to press would select due to the little flaw that runs down the middle... ;)

Yes. Tha is when the book was bought. I could not remember what you had graded it. I didn't post it b/c I thought it was pressed. I was genuinely interested in how hard it would be hit for the sub-crease, as it is a very nice book otherwise.

*** You are ignoring this loser ***

Finally... peace and quiet... :acclaim:

now you can get back to braggin' about wasting tax payer's money, eating tabasco sauce and cheese while you get hammered, fart and tell wonderful tales of spending $1,500 at strip clubs... lol wonderful contribution to society (thumbs u

That doesn't bother me. I would never send this one to CGC. I just wanted to get opinions on it.

I'm glad I did post it. There appears to be more to this one than meets the eye. I'm hoping to get some additional information/clarification in Baltimore.

Stay tuned.....

This is the #48 I sold as a 4.5 a long time ago, along with the #49 & #50. If by more then meets the eye...you think it's been pressed...I'd like to draw your attention to the overhang at the top edge.. pressing would flatten that out completely... not to mention the creasing at the bottom back cover in the middle by the sub crease along with the impact at the lower left corner of the front cover.

Those books were sold in about Oct./Nov. 2006. I didn't start pressing until April 2007.

At any rate... thought I would point out the obvious issues at hand with that book...again.. not a book someone looking to press would select due to the little flaw that runs down the middle... ;)

Hey Paul! Nice to see you back. This board being a microcosm of society – warts and all – I suppose the "flaming torches and pitchforks" responses of some members are to be expected.

Narrow life experience = narrow world view = judgmental.

(Apologies for the mixed metaphor in that sentence. I certainly wouldn't want a warty society coming after ME with torches and pitchforks.)

I would not slab it only because I do not think this book would be respected and graded properly due to the sub crease it is a very nice book overall I would keep it as is very clean back cover structurally sound overall. This Book was well cared for it just happened to be shipped folded which IMO SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS A PRINTING DEFECT sort of and not dinged by the slabbing companys. A lot of people would be proud to own that book. I will say 7.0 but I know I will be laughed at by some.

Hey Paul! Nice to see you back. This board being a microcosm of society – warts and all – I suppose the "flaming torches and pitchforks" responses of some members are to be expected.

(Apologies for the mixed metaphor in that sentence. I certainly wouldn't want a warty society coming after ME with torches and pitchforks.)

Well said, Drew!

Welcome back, Paul. :hi:

It's good to see the discussion get back to comic books!

CG

Well said, Drew!

Welcome back, Paul. :hi:

It's good to see the discussion get back to comic books!

CG

(thumbs u :hi:

I would not slab it only because I do not think this book would be respected and graded properly due to the sub crease it is a very nice book overall I would keep it as is very clean back cover structurally sound overall. This Book was well cared for it just happened to be shipped folded which IMO SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS A PRINTING DEFECT sort of and not dinged by the slabbing companys. A lot of people would be proud to own that book. I will say 7.0 but I know I will be laughed at by some.

I see them as more along ther lines as date stamps or hand written dates: part of the distribution process, as opposed to the printing process. Again, we have a book with a single defect that puts it in the VG range. Compare it to a REAL VG with all the VG chips and wrinkles and tears alound IN ADDITION TO the sub crease. Never made sense to me from the beginning when the first grading guide came out. When I phoned gary Carter about it he gave a long pause and actually agreed something was askew here.

Hate to say it, and I know it is probably the least favorite grade, but this is where Qualified comes in. The book is NOT structurally a VG but much higher. To call it a VG due to a single major defect that is allowed only up to VG is not an accurtae assessment of THIS PARTICULAR book. (stressed for a reason)