• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, why did John Byrne's work decline in quality?

125 posts in this topic

From an artistic standpoint IMO, Byrne started going downhill when he became "looser" and more freeform. This also coincided with his experimentation with markers over crowquill pens for inking.

Austin also started inking with markers and technical pens and his quality also went downhill.

Byrne has admitted that he uses sharpies to ink his work on occasion.

(I don't have a problem with technical pens as long as it looks good and fits the style. I.E. Travis Charest)

Great covers

doomsday4fc.jpg

MANYGHOSTS54.jpg

Ooftah!

That's REALLY nice work!

Bottom line. once it became about the money, and not the art, the quality plummeted. We've seen it a million times in many genres. Stephen King anyone?

Austin really was a great inker and not to be underrated in this discussion.

BTW, who inked the classic Avengers covers?

tec475c.jpg

scan0089.jpg

Yep, behind every great penciller is a GREAT inker, and Austin was definitely that. Praise to Austin!

He made so many pencillers great back in the 1970s-80s. Heck, I even thought the cover of UNCANNY X-MEN #142 was a Byrne cover, but no, it was an Austin cover.

Can you think of any artist who didn't decline through time? I'm sure there are some, but I think they're in the minority.

It's human nature to lose steam. Almost every rock band goes downhill. I tend to think it's more a decline in artistic inspiration rather than money, but who knows in Byrne's case.

I think grumpy is only the tip of the iceberg. :gossip:

He probably would fit in very well on these boards then :(

It'd certainly make for an interesting thread if JB actually did deign to make a visit.

I'm sure he'd make fast friends with everyone here. lol

It'd certainly make for an interesting thread if JB actually did deign to make a visit.

You can always go visit his site at Byrne Robotics. Just make sure you know his rules before you post.

You can always go visit his site at Byrne Robotics. Just make sure you know his rules before you post.

I've checked out that site before, hence my post. I was under the assumption that he was closing it down, but I could be wrong there....

Anyone ever met him? Is he nice or one of those grumpy guys?

I met John Byrne in the very early 1980's when I was still in High school at a local comic convention. The fact that he attended a comic convention in my area was amazing. As a developing artist myself, I showed him pages I had drawn which he gave excellent feedback on. He was a pleasure to talk to and signed my Marvel Team Up 53. He had just started drawing Xmen at the time.

My experience with him was very pleasant.

Artboy99

Can you think of any artist who didn't decline through time? I'm sure there are some, but I think they're in the minority.

It's human nature to lose steam. Almost every rock band goes downhill. I tend to think it's more a decline in artistic inspiration rather than money, but who knows in Byrne's case.

John Buscema.

He was in my opinion one of the most consistent artists of our time.

I think the real issue is lack of time and trying to make the deadline on several books all at once. I am sure all artists hear about how Jack Kirby could draw 6 books a month...why cant they? We loved Byrne's work when he did one book a month.

Artboy99

I got to spend a good deal of time with him one day about 15 years ago. He was obviously egotistical but a decent guy. One on one he was like a regular guy (with a big head) but one a crowd of people showed up his ego kicked in and it was more like he was holding court.

Good point. Look at Rage Against the Machine, how angry can you be at the rich and powerful when you're one of them, now?

Another possibility is that the idea well runs dry. There was an SNL special on last week and they talked to one of the writers for the first season. He said he thought he did his best stuff on the first season because he had a lifetime's worth of ideas to draw (pardon the pun) on. At the start of the second season, they only had few months worth of ideas.

great post! Its somewhat annoying to hear fans carp about artists lack of effort etc as if they themselves dont go through the same ups and downs in their careers and lives etc etc.... like the artists OWE them more....

Byrnes been drawing professionally for 30 years now. Its a business he loves, but its a business. His business. So adapting your style to fit your overall approach to your time, interest and financial position is natural. He's coasting sure, but hasnt totally lost it. But at the other end of the spectrum is the artist as perfectionist. HE cant handle more than a half book say a month, but its beautiful. Fans applaud each piece, but he's making a living wage. He's happy doing it cause he has personal standars etc. But why cant another artist choose to make as much as he can while he can as long as people still buy his work?

Byrne or Austin? (shrug)

Never met Byrne, but Austin is incredibly nice.

I have a friend that worked at Marvel for a few years and dealt with both. He told me that the only person who can still stand Byrne is Terry Austin. Austin is a super nice guy and very easy to deal with. Byrne on the other hand... doh!