• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, why did John Byrne's work decline in quality?

125 posts in this topic

I think it has more to do with the current coloring techniques then his pencils.

Does anyone have any OA from one of his current books?

What's that saying that comes to mind? You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.pig.gif

Can you think of any artist who didn't decline through time? I'm sure there are some, but I think they're in the minority.

It's human nature to lose steam. Almost every rock band goes downhill. I tend to think it's more a decline in artistic inspiration rather than money, but who knows in Byrne's case.

Carl Barks, Wil Eisner, Walt Kelly, Frazetta - the grand masters. Not to say they don't have some stuff mailed in but the length of time these guys were incredible is in the decades.

Can you think of any artist who didn't decline through time? I'm sure there are some, but I think they're in the minority.

It's human nature to lose steam. Almost every rock band goes downhill. I tend to think it's more a decline in artistic inspiration rather than money, but who knows in Byrne's case.

Carl Barks, Wil Eisner, Walt Kelly, Frazetta - the grand masters. Not to say they don't have some stuff mailed in but the length of time these guys were incredible is in the decades.

Yup Frazetta only declined due to helath issues in the 80's. With those taken care of he was back in fine form until his stroke :sorry:

I think Barks and Frazetta declined significantly. Barks became more simplistic, dropping the spectacular detailed settings. And Frazetta became less imaginative, imo. But both were great throughout.

Me :gossip:

Yup Frazetta only declined due to helath issues in the 80's. With those taken care of he was back in fine form until his stroke :sorry:

I think his physical abilities, yes: as you stated. His imagination, still works.

I can respect an artist or creative talent not putting in 100% each and every time, especailly after success. But Barks was putting out classics at least into the late 50s and even 60's with much of the Scrooge material. Then there were his paintings which I thought were done in the 60's and even 70's? I'm on the fence that those should be worth north of 250k but they are brilliantly done.

The problem with Byrne is that he just can't seem to ever step it up ever since the 80's with some reasonably good issues with FF and Alpha Flight. its all churn and burn and it gets old.

some of the commissions he does via his board look fantastic, however. not just the dr. strange piece, but I saw some others over there. why? well, for one, plotting out a story is a heck of a lot more boring than putting up some spectacular scene or montage or whatever.

FF in the 270s/280s started to look tired. But then again, he had been doing the book for a solid 4 or so years at that point and had done some issues I think before the long run.