• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NON-PAYING BIDDERS

16 posts in this topic

I had a few auctions end on Friday. Some small stuff, and one big book, an ASM 50 in 8.5 (CGC). Anyway, this bidder placed a minimum bid, and won the book, although I was leery that the guy had a feedback rating of 2 with one neg. Anyway, I got a little suspicious when I didn't hear from the guy after I emailed him. I know it's ony two days, but I heard from everyone else who won much smaller auctions. For the heck of it, i checked what other auctions this guy was bidding on, and sure enough he is the lead bidder on another, much less expensive, ASM 50. So I kind of have the feeling I'm not gonna get paid.

Obviously, I can neg the guy, but it's not worth it as he has a rating of 2 and I have a rating of abour 435. Should I just grin and bear it and wait 30 days to get a refund on Ebay, or should I file a Non Paying Bidder Alert, which he might neg me for? And should I call him on it and email him and let him know that I'm aware that he's bidding on this other book. Think I'm stuck on this anyone. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks alot.

foreheadslap.gif

Step one: Send several emails notifying him of his winning bid.

Step two: Give him 7 days to respond.

Step three: No response. File a NPB alert.

Step four: Re-list.

Step five: Neg. without qualms.

Step six: After the alotted time file for FVF.

Step seven: Forget the incident and move forward.

Obviously, I can neg the guy, but it's not worth it as he has a rating of 2 and I have a rating of abour 435.

That statement pretty well sums it up. He's not worth taking a Neg on, so just file a NPB alert, get your fees back and relist or sell offline. Pick your battles my friend.

And PS, if you're one of the Big-Time Sellers who Neg the non-paying bidders, get retaliatory Negs, and then pay Square Trade to remove them, please state so when offering advice to regular sellers who may have to live with the feedback.

It's a different world over here.

I don't use squaretrade to get retaliatory negs removed. I can't stand squaretrade. I used ST once to remove one of those "accidental" negs where the positive comments didn't match the neg...newbies...

So anyway, I stand by that...in this case neg 'em. I'm at a point where I no longer care about retaliatory feedbacks as most of the smart buyers, the ones I want returning my way, know a retaliatory neg when they see one.

What one main goal should be for sellers, is to get a loyal clientele base that does regular return business with you based on how well you've treated them inthe past, and not focus so much on how many negs ones got. However, I see this as the only way new potential business may have to judge you. Dependes on what you are after...

Step one: Send several emails notifying him of his winning bid.

Step two: Give him 7 days to respond.

Step three: No response. File a NPB alert.

Step four: Re-list.

Step five: Neg. without qualms.

Step six: After the alotted time file for FVF.

Step seven: Forget the incident and move forward.

Sums it up. Sometimes you actually receive a payment after the NPB form is filed, but it is rare. foreheadslap.gif

Don't assume anything.

Sometimes I buy a higher-grade VF/NM copy of a Silver-Age book I want and a reading G/F at the same time.

Maybe it's one of his holy grail books.

Sometimes people wait till Monday or even Tuesday when they win weekend auctions.

I always (for 4 years now) run auctions that end Saturday or Sunday so I know.

3 Days (not counting Sundays) is the minimum before you should start sweating.

smirk.gif

Thanks all..btw I am not a Square Trade Member. I don't put up auctions on a consistent enough basis warrant being a member of Square Trade or being a Power Seller. And I am pretty sure that getting a neg will really [!@#%^&^] me off, being I'm so anal. I guess I'll send him an email tonight, and get ready to fill out the proper NPB reports by the end of the week. How long do you usually have to wait until filing one of those? I know its a month for an FVF. Thanks a bunch everybody.

What one main goal should be for sellers, is to get a loyal clientele base that does regular return business with you based on how well you've treated them inthe past, and not focus so much on how many negs ones got.

I agree totally, but it's a bit different for the "occasional seller" who may only list a few books here and there. In this case, you're really depending on new buyers fo rthe most part. If you don't have the opportunity to build up hundreds of positives quick, then the negs can really stick out.

What one main goal should be for sellers, is to get a loyal clientele base that does regular return business with you based on how well you've treated them inthe past, and not focus so much on how many negs ones got.

I agree totally, but it's a bit different for the "occasional seller" who may only list a few books here and there. In this case, you're really depending on new buyers fo rthe most part. If you don't have the opportunity to build up hundreds of positives quick, then the negs can really stick out.

893applaud-thumb.gif That's true...I forgot not everyone strived to be a long time dealer eventually. frown.gif

Don't assume anything.

Sometimes I buy a higher-grade VF/NM copy of a Silver-Age book I want and a reading G/F at the same time.

Maybe it's one of his holy grail books.

Sometimes people wait till Monday or even Tuesday when they win weekend auctions.

I always (for 4 years now) run auctions that end Saturday or Sunday so I know.

3 Days (not counting Sundays) is the minimum before you should start sweating.

smirk.gif

I don't mean to BUMP this thread, but what I found quite interesting is that I sent this guy an email the evening I started this thread, and gosh darn if he doesn't write me back telling me he still wants the book and the check is in the mail....

Of course, I told him I would have to wait 10 to 15 days for his check to clear. Here's hoping 893crossfingers-thumb.gif