• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New "Saran Wrap" product and comics

4 posts in this topic

Okay, this post is either going to be stupid or ingenius, depending on whether my idea would work...

Saran Wrap is heavily advertising a new product that clings smoothly to container edges with amazing (claimed) strength; i.e., a sheet placed across the top edges of a full glass wouldn't spill a drop if the glass were dumped. The product appears to be thicker and less "wrinkly" than traditional wrap.

Now, I got to thinking...Would it be a good idea to use just a narrow band of this to "top off" the edges of a mylar sleeve, to give it an airtight seal? That way the seal could still be easily peeled off, unlike tape, and the product never touches the book, which remains in acid-free confinement.

I guess my question is this: could a kitchen-use plastic "leech" acids into the inner environment of the mylar, or is that impossible? Not being a chemist, I have no idea whether the acidic properties are only dangerous in direct contact, or whether airtight proximity is too much of a risk.