• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me Cool Female Characters of the Golden Age!
1 1

437 posts in this topic

Great pages, and that cover IS a kind of Purple, Scrooge:)

I found a Phantom Lady with the other woman wearing Purple shorts, Firehair, how could we forget her...and ...Well, the Purple Claw does have a blonde on the cover, lolphantomlady0001.jpg

ranger0001.jpg

purpleclaw0001.jpg

I'm getting NO work done, but this is fun!

Scrooge, who is the artist on this? Simply amazing! :applause:

Allright, I found where this came from. It's from AirFighters # 6 from Hillman. According to the GCD, in the issues surrounding this one, the feature was drawn by one John Cassone.

44066-BlackAngel-2.jpg.c261c62db16784624480b874bae5a6a5.jpg

Verotik put out a full color reprint trade of early Black Angel stories a few years back - readily available on ebay I'm sure - a MUST for any fan of GA heroines!

Great info thanks! (worship)

Here's the splash page from #12, she's kind of scary with that ax!

airfighters20001.jpg

WOW! I think I just picked my new favotite GA female! :cloud9:

Thanks Scrooge and skypinkblu for the info and pics, being a horror fan this is right up my ally! :golfclap:

John Cassone huh, will have to look into more of his work. hm

I love the panal where she laughs at the skeletal Nazis saying they "pulled a boner! Ha Ha!" lol

Here's one for Theagenes -

He likes eyeballs on skewers? YUCK!!!!

Jack

43977-DianaTheHuntress.jpg

Very cool! :applause:

I'm just seeing this for the first time - I'm down in the Everglades right working on a project and don't have internet access (I'm at a public library in Naples right now).

This is a character I didn't even know existed. I'm always interested in mythological or Classics characters in the GA. I'd love to see one of the Thor stories from Weird Comics.

Gotta go - I'm about to get booted off this computer! :hi:

Jeff

You sure can't accuse the Black Angel of being one o' them anorexic yet over-endowed superheroines that dominate the genre.

Those thighs! That -- uh, occasional abdominal bloating!

Jack

airfighters20001.jpg

You sure can't accuse the Black Angel of being one o' them anorexic yet over-endowed superheroines that dominate the genre.

Jack

I'd make extra sure she can't hear you when you say that. I've seen what she can do with that axe. Yowsa. Better duck fast.

This gal might be more your speed Jack. It seems you have similar interests. Jack, meet Jill. Jill, meet Jack.

44156-Wonder11-JillTrent.jpg.d24365b89b43a323da5f885d4ed0523d.jpg

This gal might be more your speed Jack. It seems you have similar interests. Jack, meet Jill. Jill, meet Jack.

Well, heck yeah! I'm sure I could think of lots of topics to discuss with a science sleuth like Jill. But she and Daisy seem to be, y'know, VERY close friends. I suppose I'd have to entertain them both.

Jack

44156-Wonder11-JillTrent.jpg

What's more, she's got this great new invention ...

I don't suppose it tells how much of each element is there -- that might be an useful detail. She and Daisy have that retort in their hotel room? It must have been a bear to pack.

Is this [uranium Claim Jumpers] from Wonder Comics 11?

Was Hedy Lamarr's scientific work known at the time this was published? (1947?) I bet it was. I wonder whether she partly inspired the character.

What's with the little tease snippet of the page?

Jack

44157-JillTrent-ED.jpg

Jack

airfighters20001.jpg

OMG, you are right, she's premenstrual!!

(see, I can say that, without fear of retaliation... ;) ! I found someone else to post last night, but I lost her today, I wish I could remember who it was :blush:

Jack

airfighters20001.jpg

OMG, you are right, she's premenstrual!!

(see, I can say that, without fear of retaliation... ;)

I didn't dare try it.

Does Black Angel count as a prototype?

I don't think I'd give her that axe right now.

44158-mspms.jpg

! I found someone else to post last night, but I lost her today, I wish I could remember who it was :blush:

I suspect that you won't really mind digging through the stacks again to find her.

Jack

This thread is dangerous, I HAD to have a Miss America Story...

I know she was only in a few issues, not sure which ones, but I know she's in here...I might even have to do priority mail, lol...

Miss America from Ebay

Sharon, she's in the first 4 of the magazines--the first one of course with the girl in costume, the one you just bought and the next two. check out this link for the ones you need.

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=366