• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many people do you know have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better?

How many people do you know POSITIVELY have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better condition?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. How many people do you know POSITIVELY have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better condition?

105 posts in this topic

He doesn't claim to have them. I've actually seen the box and looked through it.

Kev, you're entering dangerous ground here. No one wants to believe what you're saying, as it tramples on their dreams.

Plus, I'm amazed banner hasn't stomped on you for actually having friends who own comics. 893whatthe.gif

See Joe, the difference is that I think Kev's pretty cool and really have no reason to question his claim. It'd be great if his buddy let's him take the pic!

On the other hand, you're a proven liar and you're just being your usual -head self by bringing my name up. Please leave me out of it or you're gonna get spanked again like you did on this thread. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I am not holding my breath waiting to see the pic. However, please ask him what the purpose of have hundreds of copies of any comic if he doesn't intend to sell for profit. You said he has 4 complete runs of ASM. Why??? I consider myself a nut when it comes to collecting comics, but I just don't see why anyone would do what he is doing unless he plans to sell for high profit at some point.

And that's why your "prove me wrong" stuff is completely ignorant. Simply because you cannot see yourself doing it you can't understand why someone else would.

I mean, some people collect for fun, others for gain. This guy does it for both. I personally collect for fun, and I put together a run of Amazing Spider-Man for myself because I wanted too - it was fun to do. If it's worth something that's great, but I don't know if I could ever part with them. I don't quite understand why you collect. It must be for profit if you can't understand why someone would want to actually KEEP the books they buy. Really... what's the point of doing that?

This guy enjoys putting together runs of Amazing Spider-Man. When he finishes one he starts with another. But he also has a nose for deals and will always buy high grade copies of Amazing Spider-Man in any number if the price is right - especially keys. He's currently on a tear to get as many copies of the last two years of Amazing before the reboot and the first 30 issues of volume 2 before Straczynski took over. So when guys start dumping high-grade Spideys at guide or less he's more than willing to oblige them by buying them up.

You ask why? The answer is pretty straight-forward: why not? He's a big Spider fan. He sees Spider-Man comics as a solid long-term investment and he's in no rush to dump them because everyone is in a panic to get high-grade books at the moment. He'll hold on to those books until he's decided that he is ready to sell them, which isn't any time soon.

Instead, he'll pick up other comics along the way and sell them for a profit to finance his other purchases.

If Spider-Man comics have seen CONSISTANT long-term growth for high-grade copies, then why dump? Why not accumulate them if that interests you? That's what horders do.

Kev

As someone who worked for a large comic dealer with over a half a million books, I'm not shocked at all that someone has 100 copies.

But if they were all NM then I would be floored. grin.gif

Guess numbnuts got lonely in his Alternate Universe where Hulk 181s are as plentiful as Jim Lee's X-Men #1 and decided to come back to the real world.

Get a job and move out of the basement. And stop stealing from yer momma's purse to buy comics.

See Joe, the difference is that I think Kev's pretty cool and really have no reason to question his claim.

Exactly, and since I'm on your "Most Despised List" I'm subjected to insults, harassment, and character assassination on a regular basis.

I think it's about time you learned how the other half lives and walk a few days in my shoes. I'll be back with more later....

I'm subjected to insults, harassment, and character assassination on a regular basis...

And you know what the funny thing is about those comments Joe (other than the fact that you bring it all on yourself)? They come from the posters that actually enjoy your presence here!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

And due to popular demand, I'm working on a more detailed re-hash of the now-pulled "Most Positive Poster" thread...where even the most level-head posters had enough of your BS and called you out. Things aren't looking good when even hammer's telling you to shut your trap before you dig the hole you're living in any deeper...should be great fun!

And due to popular demand, I'm working on a more detailed re-hash of the now-pulled "Most Positive Poster" thread...where even the most level-head posters had enough of your BS and called you out. Things aren't looking good when even hammer's telling you to shut your trap before you dig the hole you're living in any deeper...should be great fun!

Go for it, as I'm working on a few things myself.

I am not holding my breath waiting to see the pic. However, please ask him what the purpose of have hundreds of copies of any comic if he doesn't intend to sell for profit. You said he has 4 complete runs of ASM. Why??? I consider myself a nut when it comes to collecting comics, but I just don't see why anyone would do what he is doing unless he plans to sell for high profit at some point.

And that's why your "prove me wrong" stuff is completely ignorant.

No, it is a statement that questions the validity and the reasons why one would collect hundreds of copies of a comic (Hulk #181, or in this guys case ASM #100) that only an ignorant person wouldn't understand.

If Spider-Man comics have seen CONSISTANT long-term growth for high-grade copies, then why dump? Why not accumulate them if that interests you? That's what horders do.

Makes sense to me. That is why I was asking the question to begin with. If you haven't been paying attention the whole argument between JC and myself is that I think Hulk #181 is a good investment because there aren't 10,000+ 9.4 and he thinks they are so plentiful you better sell what you got before the market falls. In otherwords, I think Hulk #181 has been and will continue to be a CONSISTENT money making investment because the value will continue to grow over time.

Guess numbnuts got lonely in his Alternate Universe where Hulk 181s are as plentiful as Jim Lee's X-Men #1 and decided to come back to the real world.

Get a job and move out of the basement. And stop stealing from yer momma's purse to buy comics.

Is that the best you have buttmunch? Don't make me have to verbally @#$%&slap you again in front of all these people. You can't prove your point so you resort to trying to degrade anyone that disagrees with your asinine logic. Maybe if you would be a man instead of a little girlyboy when arguing and just agree to disagree you wouldn't have so many people against you in here.

Don't make me have to verbally @#$%&slap you again in front of all these people.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Honestly, I'm amazed someone of your obviously backward upbringing can even form complete sentences.

Your inability to comprehend that $50K-100K in Hulk 181's hoarde-profits is not going to "change the life" of many collectors truly speaks volumes. Some people own single books worth that much, and are in no hurry selling.

Then again, I'm not poor so I can relate.

I was gonna leave your garbage cans unturned, but now.... 893frustrated.gif

Unturned is fine, turned is good too. But don't worry Joe, a couple more years of hard work and you might get promoted to driver! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Unturned is fine, turned is good too. But don't worry Joe, a couple more years of hard work and you might get promoted to driver! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually, for someone without even the semblance of a sense of humor, that one wasn't bad. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, for someone without even the semblance of a sense of humor, that one wasn't bad. thumbsup2.gif

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

What can I say, I saw the opening...and I took it! tongue.gif

Alas, no pics. He wasn't really thrilled at the idea of a lot of people knowing that he had the books. I mentioned that a discussion on these boards had raised the issue of whether or not stashes of high-grade keys exist out there or not. I told him that the argument had reminded me of his Spidey obession and that he had over 100 copies of certain issues and what percentage of them were in high grade.

He felt that most of his Spidey 100s were in VF or better. He does have some low grade copies but he sets them aside if they are less than a VF and has had John Romita sign them. He tends to get ANY Spidey's less than a VF signed by Jazzy John and that he might sell them eventually - they would be the first to go if wanted to sell.

Why does he do it?

He says he just loves the books and has made it his hobby to snatch up copies whenever he sees them and the grade and price are right. As I said before, he confirmed his belief that he is in this for the long haul. That Spideys haven't fallen yet and that today's high prices may be reasonable tomorrow.

He did say that if I really wanted to dig them out I could count how many I felt were 9.4 or better, but we didn't have time tonight to do it. Maybe some weekend after the convention in November.

However I did pick up some nice books for myself from his for sale box...

Iron Man 55 (in VF+ 1 of 7 he had)

Incredible Hulk 141 (F/VF - 1 of only 4 he had),

Swamp Thing 1 (Wrightson, VF 1 of 20)

DC Special 29 (VG/F)

Captain Marvel 44 (G/VG - 30 Cent variant)

Marvel Spotlight 31 (VF/NM - early Chaykin, secret of Fury's vitality revealed)

When looking thru his for sale boxes I saw 40+ copies of Spectacular Spider-Man #1 that looked to be VF or better.

I asked about Hulk 181 - he said he didn't have any at the moment. He actually sold his five copies (1 had the coupon clipped) last year to pay for a Romita cover that he had bought. He says it's not a hard book to find if one is patient, especially in VF or better as it's a book that was highly speculated on in the day and that there are a lot of copies floating around in collections. He could completely see a collector similar to himself keeping multiples in his collection for the long term as Wolverine is probably the single most important new character created for comics since the Silver Age Marvel characters. The only reason he sold his was because it was a liquid book at the time - easy to sell for what he was charging for it. Still is.

Kev

He felt that most of his Spidey 100s were in VF or better.

The question is how many are in NM 9.4 or better.

Why does he do it?

He says he just loves the books and has made it his hobby to snatch up copies whenever he sees them and the grade and price are right. As I said before, he confirmed his belief that he is in this for the long haul. That Spideys haven't fallen yet and that today's high prices may be reasonable tomorrow.

Makes perfect sense to me as well.

He did say that if I really wanted to dig them out I could count how many I felt were 9.4 or better, but we didn't have time tonight to do it. Maybe some weekend after the convention in November.

Please let us know if he allows you to.

I asked about Hulk 181 - he said he didn't have any at the moment. He actually sold his five copies (1 had the coupon clipped) last year to pay for a Romita cover that he had bought. He says it's not a hard book to find if one is patient, especially in VF or better as it's a book that was highly speculated on in the day and that there are a lot of copies floating around in collections. He could completely see a collector similar to himself keeping multiples in his collection for the long term as Wolverine is probably the single most important new character created for comics since the Silver Age Marvel characters. The only reason he sold his was because it was a liquid book at the time - easy to sell for what he was charging for it. Still is.

Very interesting. This guy hoards individual key comics by the hundreds, but doesn't have a single copy of the highly available Hulk 181.

Thanks for the info.

Your inability to comprehend that $50K-100K in Hulk 181's hoarde-profits is not going to "change the life" of many collectors truly speaks volumes. Some people own single books worth that much, and are in no hurry selling.

Then again, I'm not poor so I can relate.

Well, if you are not poor and the value of comics really isn't important to you then you should be able to take a pic of your hundreds of copies of Hulk 181 in 9.4 condition to show everyone.

I am guessing you are probably talking out your as usual and can't prove anything. You should really seek professional help.