• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metropolis comics accurate on raw books?

83 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has had experiences buying raw comics from metropolis comics? I have bought slabbed in the past and been happy with the results but I always worry buying RAW books that I can not see first. Are the trustworthy on grades in the 9.4 range?

I was wondering if anyone has had experiences buying raw comics from metropolis comics? I have bought slabbed in the past and been happy with the results but I always worry buying RAW books that I can not see first. Are the trustworthy on grades in the 9.4 range?

What books is it? I can check it out for you if they have it at the Baltimore con.

Okay, after spending the last ten minutes using the "Search" function to find the thread I mentioned :pullhair:, here it is

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=552709&page=0&fpart=1

And here's another one

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113787&page=0&fpart=1

Angelo

If it's an expensive book, I'd ask Frank to doublecheck & confirm the grade before you purchase. Nice guy to work with.

Does Metro allow you to see the book in person at their HQ. I have heard instances in the past where a potential buyer wanted to see the book in person in NYC, but was not allowed to.

There is a very expensive raw book they have that I will hopefully be buying this month, and I am somewhat concerned. I wonder what reason they have to not have it certified. I am considering flying up there to see the book in person if they allow it. From what I have seen their raw grading is okay, but in the instances of expensive raw books...my biggest concern would be WHY IS IT RAW.

If it's an expensive book, I'd ask Frank to doublecheck & confirm the grade before you purchase. Nice guy to work with.

good advice, I can't speak to books 9.4 or higher, but my last GA book I bought from Metro was graded by them as a 7.0 White, and came back from CGC as 7.0 white,. I think maybe they are making a better effort to grade accurately than in the past.

Does Metro allow you to see the book in person at their HQ. I have heard instances in the past where a potential buyer wanted to see the book in person in NYC, but was not allowed to.

There is a very expensive raw book they have that I will hopefully be buying this month, and I am somewhat concerned. I wonder what reason they have to not have it certified. I am considering flying up there to see the book in person if they allow it. From what I have seen their raw grading is okay, but in the instances of expensive raw books...my biggest concern would be WHY IS IT RAW.

You can make an appointment to visit Metropolis and view particular books. I have done so in the past. Their office is amazing. The original art and movie posters that cover almost every wall is beyond mind blowing.

As for why is it raw? Well, besides the inherent monetary risk associated with CGC graded books, if they can command the same price or higher raw as graded it's not worth it from their perspective to get it slabbed.

I have picked books up there, why wouldn't they let you schedule an appointment if you're a serious customer? Don't their ads say "by appointment"? Not let you see the book? I can't fathom. I understand they don't want/need people rummaging around the place like it's a store and yanking 100 books out of their mylars, but one specific big time book is another story.

Dear Forumites-

I can assure you that any customer who would like to come to my gallery to view a book they are interested in is never turned away. If you are interested in seeing a book contact Frank at 212-260-4147 ext 10 and set up an appt or he will send you a scan. KOR- thanks for your interest in our books-I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Vincent

You can request front/back scans from them. You should do a search because this topic has been covered quite extensively in the past (thumbs u

Angelo

The last time I requested on front/back scan they told me they just didn't have the time unless I was spending more money (my interpretation). The book was $115.

Other than that, they've always been incredibly easy to deal with and accurate on grading.

they sent me extremely large pictures of the front and back of any book i requested, no matter how cheap it was (i've asked for scans of $9 and $65 books). not the same as holding it, but the books looked like pictured.

You should bop over to the Grading section and check out Shadow's Brave and Bold 81 he bought from Metropolis.

I just read it myself and posted a reply. Thanks for bringing it up as I don't normally check that part of the Forum out. I am glad he liked the other 12 books from his order. Shadow is a good customer and I hope to be hearing from him in the near future.

Sincerely,

Vincent