• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should We Have an Automatic Grading Poll Option?

12 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if something can be set up so that with each post, a "Grading Poll" from 1 to 10 automatically loads. All these open guesses lead to cronyism, while a blind poll might yield better (and more) results.

I'm wondering if something can be set up so that with each post, a "Grading Poll" from 1 to 10 automatically loads. All these open guesses lead to cronyism, while a blind poll might yield better (and more) results.

Draft it up in your spare time . . . :baiting:

Definitly would help, I think many here, not all look at the other Boardies grades prior to putting up there grade so as to not look dopey or unskilled..sort of the herd mentallity. By putting up a Auto grade poll this would obviously give a more unbiased pure grade.

While a poll does encourage more folks to toss their hat in the ring, it also can easily encourage grading votes to which not much thought was given, or votes based on personality. For example, if JC posted a book with a poll, I imagine an automatic cadre of low grades regardless of the condition would result.

However, as long as people continue to post their rationale for a given grade I don't see any major problems. I put more stock in a grade given by someone with an established track record for being able to grade than someone who is new to grading and may not be good at it yet. If grading was based solely on an anonymous poll the grades would carry less weight.

I don't think cronyism is really an issue. I do tend to look at members I know more than those I don't, or people who consistently post interesting books, but I've never adjusted my grading based on whose book it is and I don't think other folks do either.

I also try to arrive at a grade before reading other boardies' posts - and Bronzilla you should do the same! It can only help hone one's skills.

I am usually more interested in why someone grades a book a certain way rather than the actual grade. For example Aces made a comment that he thought that the ASM #67 in my grading thread was a 9.0. After I baited him, he mentioned a crunch that actually appears to me to be a bit of dirt. I also appreciated grandz's comments about his experience with CGC and tanning.

Dan

ASM #67 link