• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain why this wasn't Qualified? [signature on 1st page]

28 posts in this topic

Unless I'm mistaken. It gets the universal grade because the signature is on the inside of the book. If the signature is on the cover it gets the Qualified label.
That certainly appears to be the case from this and the other example. I just don't know why that would be the case. By the same logic (interior page defect), having things like the Marvel Stamp cut out should be treated similarly. i.e, Universal with a notation.

I just don't know why that would be the case.

Because comics with external sigs would compete with CGC's SS books, while internal ones do not. :gossip:

hm

This would certainly explain why books with little Jimmy Jones name on the front can be blue label 9.4 Pedigrees while the same book with Jack Kirby's name on the front are green label.

If there is a fear that the Blue Label will serve as a de facto authentication, why not simply note on the [blue] label, "Signaure Not Authenticated?"

Because comics with external sigs would compete with CGC's SS books, while internal ones do not. :gossip:

Wrong. It is blue with an internal signature because the sig on the inside is an acceptable defect that does not affect the universal grade. That defect will allow blue label for internal signatures up to a level that I am not certain of, but is likely 9.4 to 9.6.

SS also allows for internal signature, if that is what is desired. Beyonder has many SS with internal signatures. :gossip:

Wrong. It is blue with an internal signature because the sig on the inside is an acceptable defect that does not affect the universal grade. That defect will allow blue label for internal signatures up to a level that I am not certain of, but is likely 9.4 to 9.6.

Then why do many HG blue label books have names, initials and other writing on the front cover and these are not considered "defects?"

The dividing line seems to be whether the name is an autograph, not the writing itself.

The dividing line seems to be whether the name is an autograph, not the writing itself.

Exactly, and this is pretty clear, so it's strange people are disagreeing. (shrug)

Highly visible autographs with blue labels could interfere with CGC's SS business, while generic names would not. One receives a Green Qualified while the other gets a Blue Universal.

Do the math.

Exactly, and this is pretty clear, so it's strange people are disagreeing. (shrug)

Highly visible autographs with blue labels could interfere with CGC's SS business, while generic names would not. One receives a Green Qualified while the other gets a Blue Universal.

Do the math.

I don't think seanh is disagreeing . . . he's just got it inverted and is making a different point :insane:

Do the math.

That does make sense. It would explain why the books with Guy Holcombe's name on the cover have blue Universal labels.

So what if my name was Jack Kirby and I put my name/signature on the front covers of my book's? Years pass and I discover there worth a boat load of money.. I submit them and they come back in a Qualified Slab?? I'd like to know how The CGC would handle this. One original owner books with the signature/name on them... Very interesting. Other book's are getting the Universal Slab, w/ notation. Why not these book's? I can't think of one reason why these book's wouldn't be put in the Universal Slab, w/notation. You can't penalize a mans name can you??!!

Also, do you remember for awhile there, CGC was just listing a generic "name written on cover/inside book" notation when it found comic pro's autographs?

That spelled it out pretty clearly to me, although I believe dealer pressure made them backtrack on that one.

Do the math.

this makes sense logically, but i wonder if this is actually correct. my understanding is that this sort of notation precedes the creation of the signature series. but said understanding is not gospel by any stretch

It wouldn't matter if you had video proof, photo's of the signing. If the signature isn't witnessed by a CGC witness it gets the Qualified Label if the sig. is on the outside of the book. It wouldnt matter if the signer handed it too a CGC employee and said here I just signed this and the owner wants it graded. There rules, not the hobbies though... So if you had a X-Men 1 signed 4 years before CGC was in business, it's to bad for you. Regardless of the proof you could offer. My book will never go to The CGC for this very reason!!