• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't let this one slide...

7 posts in this topic

Alright, last time this happened (with the New Avengers #28 cover) I started a thread about how people felt about pencil pieces that an owner has had inked. But I didn't mention the NA #28 auction specifically because I was trying to be polite. But the same seller is back, selling a different New Avengers Lentil Yu cover, and he had this one inked also:

New Avengers #29 Cover on Ebay

It's really starting to bug me that the caretaker of this art bought it, had it inked, and is now dropping it back on the market. If you want to have it inked (cause it's YOUR preference), you'd better damn well hold onto it the rest of your life.

Anyhow, just wanted to vent. I think the art looks great and Mark Morales does a great job, but it ain't the original as published any longer. And the last time he did this the cover sold for $2200 anyway!!

Thoughts?

An inked piece will almost always look more inpressive than a work done just in pencil. But... my own feeling in a case like this is that the original art has now been altered, damaged, and defaced beyond repair. It's obvious that the sellers philosophy is very different than that of many collectors - that is; we are only the temporary caretakers of these objects and not the true owners, and therefore have a responsibility to preserve them in their original form for the appreciation of future generations.

That's just my own opinion and I'm sure there are many collectors who feel much differently. It is unfortunate that the seller didn't just make a copy of the pencils and then have that copy inked. He could then have sold the original along with the separate inked piece.

Bill

That sucks. It would have been so simple to print a blue line copy, get it inked and display them side-by-side. Now the original art basically does not exist as originally designed.

Alright, last time this happened (with the New Avengers #28 cover) I started a thread about how people felt about pencil pieces that an owner has had inked. But I didn't mention the NA #28 auction specifically because I was trying to be polite. But the same seller is back, selling a different New Avengers Lentil Yu cover, and he had this one inked also:

New Avengers #29 Cover on Ebay

It's really starting to bug me that the caretaker of this art bought it, had it inked, and is now dropping it back on the market. If you want to have it inked (cause it's YOUR preference), you'd better damn well hold onto it the rest of your life.

Anyhow, just wanted to vent. I think the art looks great and Mark Morales does a great job, but it ain't the original as published any longer. And the last time he did this the cover sold for $2200 anyway!!

Thoughts?

(thumbs u